Vista can't see Xp

saghilar

Vista can't see Xp
Hi guys
I linked my 2 pcs one with vista and xp the other by a 3com switch
(it's also a router, access point and firewall)

I disabled both the firewalls on 2 machines

I can ping from vista to xp and viceversa, I use computername or ip
address

but if I try to reach a share or simply the xp machine from my
computer: it's impossible!!!

I receive an error like: "Unable to find \\computername, verify if the
name is correct and retry"

if I try to map a network unit by command line: net use h: \
\computername\sharename, I receive an error like: "the remote server
is suspended or in boot phase" (I translate, probabily the sentences
are similar)

i don't know what can I do ....

can you help me please?????

Chuck

Re: Vista can't see Xp
On 5 May 2007 02:02:31 -0700, saghilar <samuele.ghilardi@polynt.it> wrote:

>Hi guys
>I linked my 2 pcs one with vista and xp the other by a 3com switch
>(it's also a router, access point and firewall)
>
>I disabled both the firewalls on 2 machines
>
>I can ping from vista to xp and viceversa, I use computername or ip
>address
>
>but if I try to reach a share or simply the xp machine from my
>computer: it's impossible!!!
>
>I receive an error like: "Unable to find \\computername, verify if the
>name is correct and retry"
>
>if I try to map a network unit by command line: net use h: \
>\computername\sharename, I receive an error like: "the remote server
>is suspended or in boot phase" (I translate, probabily the sentences
>are similar)
>
>i don't know what can I do ....
>

>can you help me please?????

You have a problem with SMBs not getting between the 2 computers. SMBs are used
in file share access, and in name resolution on small LANs.

Generally, name resolution SMBs require NetBT. Is that Enabled consistently?
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

And run "ipconfig /all" and look at Node Type.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...iagnosing.html

And you say that you disabled firewalls on both computers. What brand firewalls
was that? What firewalls might you have that you aren't thinking of? What
antitrojan / antivirus do you have?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
tiglat

Re: Vista can't see Xp

Great
Great

Now vista can see xp

As you said I checked the 'enable netbios over tcp/ip' in tcp/ip v4
properties\advanced\ wins tab

thank you very much

samuele

tiglat

Re: Vista can't see Xp
On 6 Mag, 10:25, tiglat <samuele.ghila...@polynt.it> wrote:
> Great
> Great
>
> Now vista can see xp
>
> As you said I checked the 'enable netbios over tcp/ip' in tcp/ip v4
> properties\advanced\ wins tab
>
> thank you very much
>
> samuele

sorry

I CAN'T T see xp from vista , again

I saw XP one time only !!!

my firewalls on both pc are ms firewall, completely disabled form
services

are you sure that's a netbios problem? because ping works with
computername and ipaddress

I always receive the error "Unable to find \\computername, verify if
the
name is correct and retry"

tiglat

Re: Vista can't see Xp
Now it's working

the service 'server' was suspended, I started it and now i can connect
vista to xp ...

than you for your help

Chuck

Re: Vista can't see Xp
On 6 May 2007 05:42:21 -0700, tiglat <samuele.ghilardi@polynt.it> wrote:

>Now it's working
>
>the service 'server' was suspended, I started it and now i can connect
>vista to xp ...
>
>than you for your help

Glad to help, Samuele. Thanks for updating the thread.