can't acces my other computer

simshadow

can't acces my other computer

hi there.
i have 2 pc both running vista 68x
im getting my internet via 2 lan cables and i want to be able to acces
something from pc A on pc B, but when i go and click on my other pc in
the network settings it askes for a username and password... but i havnt
set any on either on them.. what must i do?

--
simshadow
simshadow's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149007.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

StephenB

Re: can't acces my other computer
Have a look here for help:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ing-essentials

-steve

simshadow <simshadow.40ok7b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>hi there.
>i have 2 pc both running vista 68x
>im getting my internet via 2 lan cables and i want to be able to acces
>something from pc A on pc B, but when i go and click on my other pc in
>the network settings it askes for a username and password... but i havnt
>set any on either on them.. what must i do?

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: can't acces my other computer
Hi
If you have A Cable/DSL Router and the two computers are plugged in to it
you already have a network and it is a matter of configuring File Sharing on
each computer.
Maybe this can Help,
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"simshadow" <simshadow.40ok7b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> hi there.
> i have 2 pc both running vista 68x
> im getting my internet via 2 lan cables and i want to be able to acces
> something from pc A on pc B, but when i go and click on my other pc in
> the network settings it askes for a username and password... but i havnt
> set any on either on them.. what must i do?
>

> --
> simshadow
> simshadow's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149007.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1263475.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

GTS

Re: can't acces my other computer
If security isn't an issue, turn off Password Proteted Sharing in Network
and Sharing Center. OR - create a matching user account (name and password)
on each machine.
--

"simshadow" <simshadow.40ok7b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> hi there.
> i have 2 pc both running vista 68x
> im getting my internet via 2 lan cables and i want to be able to acces
> something from pc A on pc B, but when i go and click on my other pc in
> the network settings it askes for a username and password... but i havnt
> set any on either on them.. what must i do?
>

> --
> simshadow
> simshadow's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/149007.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1263475.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

ScottW is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: can't acces my other computer
What if I don't have a "Password Protected Sharing" option? I have two computers one has Vista home and the other is a work computer that syncs with our server and has Vista Ultimate. The VU machine dosn't even have Password protected sharing in the menu. I can share one way....the work computer can access Vista home but I can't access Vista Ultimate. It asks for user and password info and nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.
GTS

"ScottW" <ScottW.41f2sd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> What if I don't have a "Password Protected Sharing" option? I have two
> computers one has Vista home and the other is a work computer that syncs
> with our server and has Vista Ultimate. The VU machine dosn't even have
> Password protected sharing in the menu. I can share one way....the work
> computer can access Vista home but I can't access Vista Ultimate. It
> asks for user and password info and nothing seems to work. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>

> --
> ScottW

Is the Vista Ultimate machine a domain member?

ScottW is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: can't acces my other computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
"ScottW" <ScottW.41f2sd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> What if I don't have a "Password Protected Sharing" option? I have two
> computers one has Vista home and the other is a work computer that syncs
> with our server and has Vista Ultimate. The VU machine dosn't even have
> Password protected sharing in the menu. I can share one way....the work
> computer can access Vista home but I can't access Vista Ultimate. It
> asks for user and password info and nothing seems to work. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>

> --
> ScottW

Is the Vista Ultimate machine a domain member?
Yes the Vista Ultimate machine is a domain member. Not that I really know what that means though!
GTS

"ScottW" <ScottW.41g04d@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> GTS;1601666 Wrote:
>> "ScottW" <ScottW.41f2sd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > What if I don't have a "Password Protected Sharing" option? I have

>> two
>> > computers one has Vista home and the other is a work computer that

>> syncs
>> > with our server and has Vista Ultimate. The VU machine dosn't even

>> have
>> > Password protected sharing in the menu. I can share one way....the

>> work
>> > computer can access Vista home but I can't access Vista Ultimate. It
>> > asks for user and password info and nothing seems to work. Any help
>> > would be appreciated.
>> >

>> > --
>> > ScottW
>> >

>> Is the Vista Ultimate machine a domain member?

> Yes the Vista Ultimate machine is a domain member. Not that I really
> know what that means though!
>

> --
> ScottW

It means, among other things, that security is managed by the server and
there may be group policy settings affecting what you can share. I suspect
this is why you don't see a "Password Protected Sharing" option. You might
be able to create a separate local user account and use that for sharing,
but if this is an employer provided computer there are often policy
restrictions that would preclude that.