Vista DNS Resolution

James E Wilson

Vista DNS Resolution
Have problem as above. Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
I understand my ISP only uses IPv4 - Virgin Media www.virginmedia.com

Anyway, name resolution does not work in Vista.

I operate a LAN behind a router - GTA GNAT 3.42.
This is merely a debian linux router kernel with features like
HA (high availability et al). I use a PIII Coppremine, 512MB,
CompactFlashCard with linux image, 3Com 10/100 PCI on the
public interface, 4 Port SMC 10/100 and 2 Port Intel Pro/100.

I have no problems with Win2K and Win XP Pro.
I can ping and tracert domain name(s) with no problems (Win2K/WinXP);
such as www.ntlworld.com et al

Unable to do this in Vista.
Disabled Vista Firewall for testing.
Disabled (unchecked) IPv6 and discovery components on network connection.
Disabled IPv6 in registry with DisableComponents FF patch
i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Services\tcpip6\Parameters\
Disabled IPHelper service in services.
Disabled DNSClient in services (to eliminate cache issues).

Tried another NIC in the PC, a 3Com with correct drivers.
Still cannot resolve domain names but get IP addr etc.
Removed 3Com NIC.
Onboard NIC - nVidia - Vista installed nVidia driver at install.

As boths NIC fail DNS resolution, assumed not a NIC issue.

Network Type - Workgroup (not connected to domain).

The IP address details are all allocated by the router.
Use DHCP on interface.
No WINS server
NetBIOS enabled
Node Type - Broadcast

ran ipconfing /all

Get IP Address ok.
Reports default gateway Address ok.
Reports subnet mask correct
Reports DHCP server Address ok.
Reports DNS server Address ok.
Note! - the router above is configured to forward DNS requests to ISP DNS
servers.

Getting IP address ok - no problem there.

Can ping loopback.
Can ping allocated IPv4 IP address.
Can ping default gateway.
Can ping DHCP server.
Can ping DNS server (forwarder on router).

Can ping external IP address. I have tried 81.200.64.50 this relates to;
http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
Get responses ok.
Tracert works ok with sample address above.

Try to ping www.ntlworld.com or any other domain name, times out.

The network has been configured as local only (for now)

Symptomatically, AVG Free 8.5 via the update option does appear to
connect to the update server to the extent the updates are made
available via a dialogue box, when I try to DL these, update fails.

Issue remains DNS resolution.

Any advice? Wireshark?

Thanks
Gordon

Re: Vista DNS Resolution

"James E Wilson" <JamesEWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have problem as above.

Problem as WHAT "above"?
You are using a web interface to a global Usenet newsgroup, and as most of
the regulars here use a newsreader and NOT the horrible clunky web interface
we have no idea what post "above" you are referring to...

snapperhead1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista DNS Resolution
James,

Not sure if this will help, but I had the exact same problem on my network last week. Only with Vista and Win 7 machines. My problem was that I could only get sporadic at best windows updates. The names would resolve......sometimes. I did all the tests you did and still had no answer. I am not sure you have access to your router, but I will assume that you do. My resolution was to change the DNS settings in my router. I used the DNS server from opendns.com, (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) but I think you could use any number of them. I have a theory why my original DNS servers did not work. Mind you, its a theory...... My original DNS server are out of Hong Kong. Not sure if M$ is filtering update requests from that side of the globe because last time I checked, pirated copies of Windows had an 80% market share there. I cant prove this but when I switched to the US DNS servers, I resolved all Windows update sites with no issues at all.

Hope this helps............

Quote:
Originally Posted by James E Wilson View Post
Have problem as above. Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
I understand my ISP only uses IPv4 - Virgin Media Virgin Media - Broadband, digital TV, phone & mobile phone plus broadband

Anyway, name resolution does not work in Vista.

I operate a LAN behind a router - GTA GNAT 3.42.
This is merely a debian linux router kernel with features like
HA (high availability et al). I use a PIII Coppremine, 512MB,
CompactFlashCard with linux image, 3Com 10/100 PCI on the
public interface, 4 Port SMC 10/100 and 2 Port Intel Pro/100.

I have no problems with Win2K and Win XP Pro.
I can ping and tracert domain name(s) with no problems (Win2K/WinXP);
such as Virgin Media - Broadband, digital TV, phone & mobile phone plus broadband et al

[...]

Microsoft Windows Update
Get responses ok.
Tracert works ok with sample address above.

Try to ping Virgin Media - Broadband, digital TV, phone & mobile phone plus broadband or any other domain name, times out.

The network has been configured as local only (for now)

Symptomatically, AVG Free 8.5 via the update option does appear to
connect to the update server to the extent the updates are made
available via a dialogue box, when I try to DL these, update fails.

Issue remains DNS resolution.

Any advice? Wireshark?

Thanks
James E Wilson

Re: Vista DNS Resolution
As in the subject line above

"Gordon" wrote:

> "James E Wilson" <JamesEWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have problem as above.

> Problem as WHAT "above"?
> You are using a web interface to a global Usenet newsgroup, and as most of
> the regulars here use a newsreader and NOT the horrible clunky web interface
> we have no idea what post "above" you are referring to...
>
> .

Wrinkly Scrotum

Re: Vista DNS Resolution
"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in

> "James E Wilson" <JamesEWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:E3332D22-26C0-4823-8826-0DB16D326997@microsoft.
> com...
>> Have problem as above.

> Problem as WHAT "above"?
> You are using a web interface to a global Usenet newsgroup, and
> as most of the regulars here use a newsreader and NOT the
> horrible clunky web interface we have no idea what post "above"
> you are referring to...

As in the subject line

Thx
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista DNS Resolution

"James E Wilson" <JamesEWilson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have problem as above. Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
> I understand my ISP only uses IPv4 - Virgin Media www.virginmedia.com
>
> Anyway, name resolution does not work in Vista.
>
> I operate a LAN behind a router - GTA GNAT 3.42.
> This is merely a debian linux router kernel with features like
> HA (high availability et al). I use a PIII Coppremine, 512MB,
> CompactFlashCard with linux image, 3Com 10/100 PCI on the
> public interface, 4 Port SMC 10/100 and 2 Port Intel Pro/100.
>
> I have no problems with Win2K and Win XP Pro.
> I can ping and tracert domain name(s) with no problems (Win2K/WinXP);
> such as www.ntlworld.com et al
>
> Unable to do this in Vista.
> Disabled Vista Firewall for testing.
> Disabled (unchecked) IPv6 and discovery components on network connection.
> Disabled IPv6 in registry with DisableComponents FF patch
> i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
> Services\tcpip6\Parameters\
> Disabled IPHelper service in services.
> Disabled DNSClient in services (to eliminate cache issues).
>
> Tried another NIC in the PC, a 3Com with correct drivers.
> Still cannot resolve domain names but get IP addr etc.
> Removed 3Com NIC.
> Onboard NIC - nVidia - Vista installed nVidia driver at install.
>
> As boths NIC fail DNS resolution, assumed not a NIC issue.
>
> Network Type - Workgroup (not connected to domain).
>
> The IP address details are all allocated by the router.
> Use DHCP on interface.
> No WINS server
> NetBIOS enabled
> Node Type - Broadcast
>
> ran ipconfing /all
>
> Get IP Address ok.
> Reports default gateway Address ok.
> Reports subnet mask correct
> Reports DHCP server Address ok.
> Reports DNS server Address ok.
> Note! - the router above is configured to forward DNS requests to ISP DNS
> servers.
>
> Getting IP address ok - no problem there.
>
> Can ping loopback.
> Can ping allocated IPv4 IP address.
> Can ping default gateway.
> Can ping DHCP server.
> Can ping DNS server (forwarder on router).
>
> Can ping external IP address. I have tried 81.200.64.50 this relates to;
> http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
> Get responses ok.
> Tracert works ok with sample address above.
>
> Try to ping www.ntlworld.com or any other domain name, times out.
>
> The network has been configured as local only (for now)
>
> Symptomatically, AVG Free 8.5 via the update option does appear to
> connect to the update server to the extent the updates are made
> available via a dialogue box, when I try to DL these, update fails.
>
> Issue remains DNS resolution.
>
> Any advice? Wireshark?

Please post the results of

ipconfig /all