Vista Wireless Problem

Paul Kraemer

Vista Wireless Problem
Hi,

I just got a new Dell notebook with Windows Vista Ultimate edition. It has
both a wired and a wireless network connection.

First, I connected to my office LAN using a wired connection. I booted up
and was able to get on the internet with no problem. I didn't have to make
any configuration changes.

Next, I disconnected the wired connection and rebooted to see if I could get
on the internet through our wireless router (SonicWall TZ 170). This router
is not secured but it does have a MAC filter enabled. Before attempting to
connect, I added the MAC address of my new notebook to the MAC filter.

Vista detected my wireless network. I clicked to connect and got a warning
telling me that the network is unsecured. I chose to connect anyway. Next,
I got a message saying that the computer is connected to my wireless network
but does not have access to the internet.

The network and sharing center shows the following information:

Unidentified network (public network)
Access : Limited connectivity
Connection : Wireless Network Connection (Lumier)
Signal strength: Excellent

After a while, I eventually get a message claiming that another computer on
the network has the same IP address as this computer. If I look at network
connection details, it shows that DHCP is enabled, my autoconfig IPv4 subnet
is 255.255.0.0, and my autoconfig IPv4 address is 169.254.198.213. I don't
know where this is coming from because my DCHP server is supposed to give out
addresses in the range 192.168.2.x.

I have two other PC's running Windows XP. From these, I am able to get on
the internet through this wireless router with no problem.

If anyone has an idea what might be causing my problem, I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

--
Paul Kraemer
Barb Bowman

Re: Vista Wireless Problem
If you NEVER get a proper IP address from the router, see if there
is newer firmware that resolves the issue. If not, see if
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us helps.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Kim [MS]

Re: Vista Wireless Problem
Paul Kraemer,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. The have been compatibility issues
between SonicWall and Vista. For more information, see:
http://www.sonicwall.com/us/2113_vista.html

Kim