VPN Help

skiptroll

VPN Help
I am trying to VPN to my office. i have vista 64 bit ultimate on my laptop.
when i use my wireless modem card i can connect to the internet. when i go
to connect to the vpn it connects and registers my computer on the network.
it says i am connected, but i lose internet connection cause it sees 2
networks. when internet connection is lost i can't see my network computers.
when i disconnect from the vpn internet is restored again. how can i make it
so when i connect to the vpn i have access to my network and internet. or
atleast my network?

thanks
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: VPN Help
"skiptroll" <skiptroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news7406FA7-A8C4-437C-A2EA-2170C67E9E10@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to VPN to my office. i have vista 64 bit ultimate on my
>laptop.
> when i use my wireless modem card i can connect to the internet. when i
> go
> to connect to the vpn it connects and registers my computer on the
> network.
> it says i am connected, but i lose internet connection cause it sees 2
> networks. when internet connection is lost i can't see my network
> computers.
> when i disconnect from the vpn internet is restored again. how can i make
> it
> so when i connect to the vpn i have access to my network and internet. or
> atleast my network?
>
> thanks

That's the split tunneling issue. If your running the Vista PPTP VPN client
check this Cable Guy article (written for XP but still pertinent) for
help...

Note the security issues involved...

If your not using the Vista PPTP VPN client let us know. Its possible this
is a server side issue depending on what VPN your using. If that is the case
you need to talk to the VPN admins at the server end.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

skiptroll

Re: VPN Help
Thank you for the relpy. i tried it and same thing happens. i am using
whatever came with vista. how can i tell what i am using? it shows i am
connected but i can't access any network resources. also shows 2 networks so
internet is a big red X. again thanks for the quick response

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "skiptroll" <skiptroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7406FA7-A8C4-437C-A2EA-2170C67E9E10@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to VPN to my office. i have vista 64 bit ultimate on my
> >laptop.
> > when i use my wireless modem card i can connect to the internet. when i
> > go
> > to connect to the vpn it connects and registers my computer on the
> > network.
> > it says i am connected, but i lose internet connection cause it sees 2
> > networks. when internet connection is lost i can't see my network
> > computers.
> > when i disconnect from the vpn internet is restored again. how can i make
> > it
> > so when i connect to the vpn i have access to my network and internet. or
> > atleast my network?
> >
> > thanks

> That's the split tunneling issue. If your running the Vista PPTP VPN client
> check this Cable Guy article (written for XP but still pertinent) for
> help...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1003.mspx
>
> Note the security issues involved...
>
> If your not using the Vista PPTP VPN client let us know. Its possible this
> is a server side issue depending on what VPN your using. If that is the case
> you need to talk to the VPN admins at the server end.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: VPN Help
Posting the routing table here may help. To do that, use route print command.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "skiptroll" <skiptroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7406FA7-A8C4-437C-A2EA-2170C67E9E10@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to VPN to my office. i have vista 64 bit ultimate on my
> >laptop.
> > when i use my wireless modem card i can connect to the internet. when i
> > go
> > to connect to the vpn it connects and registers my computer on the
> > network.
> > it says i am connected, but i lose internet connection cause it sees 2
> > networks. when internet connection is lost i can't see my network
> > computers.
> > when i disconnect from the vpn internet is restored again. how can i make
> > it
> > so when i connect to the vpn i have access to my network and internet. or
> > atleast my network?
> >
> > thanks

> That's the split tunneling issue. If your running the Vista PPTP VPN client
> check this Cable Guy article (written for XP but still pertinent) for
> help...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1003.mspx
>
> Note the security issues involved...
>
> If your not using the Vista PPTP VPN client let us know. Its possible this
> is a server side issue depending on what VPN your using. If that is the case
> you need to talk to the VPN admins at the server end.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

skiptroll

Re: VPN Help
OKay got split tunneling to work but that must not be my problem. still
can't connect to the network computers. must be on the server side. thanks
again for the quick response and help. worked like a champ.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "skiptroll" <skiptroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news7406FA7-A8C4-437C-A2EA-2170C67E9E10@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to VPN to my office. i have vista 64 bit ultimate on my
> >laptop.
> > when i use my wireless modem card i can connect to the internet. when i
> > go
> > to connect to the vpn it connects and registers my computer on the
> > network.
> > it says i am connected, but i lose internet connection cause it sees 2
> > networks. when internet connection is lost i can't see my network
> > computers.
> > when i disconnect from the vpn internet is restored again. how can i make
> > it
> > so when i connect to the vpn i have access to my network and internet. or
> > atleast my network?
> >
> > thanks

> That's the split tunneling issue. If your running the Vista PPTP VPN client
> check this Cable Guy article (written for XP but still pertinent) for
> help...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1003.mspx
>
> Note the security issues involved...
>
> If your not using the Vista PPTP VPN client let us know. Its possible this
> is a server side issue depending on what VPN your using. If that is the case
> you need to talk to the VPN admins at the server end.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

skiptroll

Re: VPN Help
How can i post the routing table? unfamilar with that command. also when i
diagnose the problem it says can't communicate with dns server. 1 more
thing. when i am connected using ethernet cable it is dhcp enabled but
through vpn dhcp says no. does this matter?
thanks