Turning Off/Disabling The Welcome Message

Pat Cook

Turning Off/Disabling The Welcome Message
Here's my setup....

DESKTOP:
========

* AMD Duron 1.0 Ghz. CPU
* 512 MB RAM
* Windows XP Home Edition
* Windows Live Mesh
* Gbridge

LAPTOP:
=======

* Intel Pentium 1.8 Ghz. CPU
* 3 GB RAM
* Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
* Windows Live Mesh
* Gbridge

The welcome screen I'm referring to is the one on the Desktop. It has
only two accounts (Mine as the administrator & the Guest account). I
managed to remove the .NET password from the administrator account.
Should that do the trick?

Here's what I'm tryng to do....

My goal is to get the desktop whereas it will boot up WITHOUT displaying
a welcome screen. Windows Live Mesh can circumvent this HOWEVER most
everyone who has ANY amount of savviness on the 'net KNOWS that ANYTHING
from Microsoft HARDLY resembles anything REMOTELY close to *ahem*
"secure" (sic), which is why I installed Gbridge as well.

The reason for this is because I'd like to GET RID of the big bulky
desktop monitor & move my laptop back over the desk where it belongs
(It's sitting here on the table I eat off of as it's THE ONLY place I
can put it & have room to work. I'll still run the desktop PC, but that
will only be used for running my Ham Radio station & associated software
which not only accesses the Internet, but also requires that it be run
on a PC that is SEPERATE from the PC used for other tasks. It'll also
be used for additional Hard Drive storage as well.

I suppose what I'm asking is should removing the .NET password do the
trick in eliminating the logon display screen from the Desktop PC or is
there something else I need to do or should've been done instead? Also,
would removing the .NET password from the Desktop PC do more harm than good?

Help in resolving this is MUCH needed & GREATLY appreciated. I look
forward to all the replies.

Cheers

Pat Cook
Denver, CO
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Turning Off/Disabling The Welcome Message
Hi
You cam bypass the need to click on Win XP by using the Tweak UI Power toy.
There is a Tab there to control the Log On,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx
In Vista, In Run Box put "control userpasswords2" press enter.
In window User Accounts. Toward the top you will be able to see the option
"Users must enter a username and password to use
this computer". Select the account you wish to alter and then uncheck the
option.
You will then be prompted with an Automatically Log On window, in which you
will have to enter your name and password.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Pat Cook" <asmyworldturns@live.com> wrote in message
> Here's my setup....
>
> DESKTOP:
> ========
>
> * AMD Duron 1.0 Ghz. CPU
> * 512 MB RAM
> * Windows XP Home Edition
> * Windows Live Mesh
> * Gbridge
>
> LAPTOP:
> =======
>
> * Intel Pentium 1.8 Ghz. CPU
> * 3 GB RAM
> * Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
> * Windows Live Mesh
> * Gbridge
>
> The welcome screen I'm referring to is the one on the Desktop. It has
> only two accounts (Mine as the administrator & the Guest account). I
> managed to remove the .NET password from the administrator account. Should
> that do the trick?
>
> Here's what I'm tryng to do....
>
> My goal is to get the desktop whereas it will boot up WITHOUT displaying a
> welcome screen. Windows Live Mesh can circumvent this HOWEVER most
> everyone who has ANY amount of savviness on the 'net KNOWS that ANYTHING
> from Microsoft HARDLY resembles anything REMOTELY close to *ahem*
> "secure" (sic), which is why I installed Gbridge as well.
>
> The reason for this is because I'd like to GET RID of the big bulky
> desktop monitor & move my laptop back over the desk where it belongs (It's
> sitting here on the table I eat off of as it's THE ONLY place I can put it
> & have room to work. I'll still run the desktop PC, but that will only be
> used for running my Ham Radio station & associated software which not only
> accesses the Internet, but also requires that it be run on a PC that is
> SEPERATE from the PC used for other tasks. It'll also be used for
> additional Hard Drive storage as well.
>
> I suppose what I'm asking is should removing the .NET password do the
> trick in eliminating the logon display screen from the Desktop PC or is
> there something else I need to do or should've been done instead? Also,
> would removing the .NET password from the Desktop PC do more harm than
> good?
>
> Help in resolving this is MUCH needed & GREATLY appreciated. I look
> forward to all the replies.
>
> Cheers
>
> Pat Cook
> Denver, CO

Pat Cook

Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> You cam bypass the need to click on Win XP by using the Tweak UI Power toy.
> There is a Tab there to control the Log On,
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx
> In Vista, In Run Box put "control userpasswords2" press enter.
> In window User Accounts. Toward the top you will be able to see the
> option "Users must enter a username and password to use
> this computer". Select the account you wish to alter and then uncheck
> the option.
> You will then be prompted with an Automatically Log On window, in which
> you will have to enter your name and password.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Erm.....I think you either misread my original post or misunderstood,
misinterpreted it as this **DOES NOT** appear to be what I want to do
each & every time I boot up or reboot the desktop. I **DO NOT** want to
be prompted with ANY kind of "Welcome" or Windows login screen on my
desktop. ***I WANT THE DESKTOP PC TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE DESKTOP UPON
BOOT UP OR REBOOT***

In the offshoot chance you misread, misunderstood and/or misinterpreted
what I am trying to do with my DESKTOP PC, I am leaving my original
message intact with this post in the hopes you will have a better
understanding of what it is I am trying to do.

Note I'm not "Biting the hand feeding me" as it were Jack, but rather
I'm just simply pointing out that (Based on my impression of your post
above) you apparently think I'm trying to change how MY LAPTOP boots up
or reboots or something instead of changing the way my desktop boots up
or reboots.

Hope this helps in clearing things up

> "Pat Cook" <asmyworldturns@live.com> wrote in message
>> Here's my setup....
>>
>> DESKTOP:
>> ========
>>
>> * AMD Duron 1.0 Ghz. CPU
>> * 512 MB RAM
>> * Windows XP Home Edition
>> * Windows Live Mesh
>> * Gbridge
>>
>> LAPTOP:
>> =======
>>
>> * Intel Pentium 1.8 Ghz. CPU
>> * 3 GB RAM
>> * Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
>> * Windows Live Mesh
>> * Gbridge
>>
>> The welcome screen I'm referring to is the one on the Desktop. It has
>> only two accounts (Mine as the administrator & the Guest account). I
>> managed to remove the .NET password from the administrator account.
>> Should that do the trick?
>>
>> Here's what I'm tryng to do....
>>
>> My goal is to get the desktop whereas it will boot up WITHOUT
>> displaying a welcome screen. Windows Live Mesh can circumvent this
>> HOWEVER most everyone who has ANY amount of savviness on the 'net
>> KNOWS that ANYTHING from Microsoft HARDLY resembles anything REMOTELY
>> close to *ahem* "secure" (sic), which is why I installed Gbridge as
>> well.
>>
>> The reason for this is because I'd like to GET RID of the big bulky
>> desktop monitor & move my laptop back over the desk where it belongs
>> (It's sitting here on the table I eat off of as it's THE ONLY place I
>> can put it & have room to work. I'll still run the desktop PC, but
>> that will only be used for running my Ham Radio station & associated
>> software which not only accesses the Internet, but also requires that
>> it be run on a PC that is SEPERATE from the PC used for other tasks.
>> It'll also be used for additional Hard Drive storage as well.
>>
>> I suppose what I'm asking is should removing the .NET password do the
>> trick in eliminating the logon display screen from the Desktop PC or
>> is there something else I need to do or should've been done instead?
>> Also, would removing the .NET password from the Desktop PC do more
>> harm than good?
>>
>> Help in resolving this is MUCH needed & GREATLY appreciated. I look
>> forward to all the replies.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Pat Cook
>> Denver, CO

Gordon

> Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
>> Hi
>> You cam bypass the need to click on Win XP by using the Tweak UI Power
>> toy.
>> There is a Tab there to control the Log On,
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx
>> In Vista, In Run Box put "control userpasswords2" press enter.
>> In window User Accounts. Toward the top you will be able to see the
>> option "Users must enter a username and password to use
>> this computer". Select the account you wish to alter and then uncheck the
>> option.
>> You will then be prompted with an Automatically Log On window, in which
>> you will have to enter your name and password.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

> Erm.....I think you either misread my original post or misunderstood,
> misinterpreted it as this **DOES NOT** appear to be what I want to do each
> & every time I boot up or reboot the desktop. I **DO NOT** want to be
> prompted with ANY kind of "Welcome" or Windows login screen on my desktop.
> ***I WANT THE DESKTOP PC TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE DESKTOP UPON BOOT UP OR
> REBOOT***

And you completely misunderstood what Jack wrote. If you follow those
instructions ON YOUR DESKTOP PC, it WILL boot straight into Windows.
Why you would want to, defeats me and the concept of PC security....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\)

Re: Turning Off/Disabling The Welcome Message
Hi
No matter what it takes time to Boot. First you have to do what I posted
before, then if you want to "Enjoy" for the same time a Black Screen,
replace the current boot screen with black screen.

> [...]

>>> desktop monitor & move my laptop back over the desk where it belongs
>>> (It's sitting here on the table I eat off of as it's THE ONLY place I
>>> can put it & have room to work. I'll still run the desktop PC, but that
>>> will only be used for running my Ham Radio station & associated software
>>> which not only accesses the Internet, but also requires that it be run
>>> on a PC that is SEPERATE from the PC used for other tasks. It'll also
>>> be used for additional Hard Drive storage as well.
>>>
>>> I suppose what I'm asking is should removing the .NET password do the
>>> trick in eliminating the logon display screen from the Desktop PC or is
>>> there something else I need to do or should've been done instead? Also,
>>> would removing the .NET password from the Desktop PC do more harm than
>>> good?
>>>
>>> Help in resolving this is MUCH needed & GREATLY appreciated. I look

Pat Cook

Jack (MVP-Networking) wrote:
> Hi
> No matter what it takes time to Boot. First you have to do what I posted
> before, then if you want to "Enjoy" for the same time a Black Screen,
> replace the current boot screen with black screen.

So basically put, what you & Gordon are saying is that between my
removing the .NET password & your suggesting that I download & install
the Tweak UI Power Toy (Which I did), all I have to do is run the
program & follow the onscreen instructions. Correct?

Since I only have ONE shot at this, I wanna make sure it's done right.
My laptop (Which uses Vista) doesn't use a Windows Logon screen. It
just boots straight up. No password needed.

Cheers

Pat Cook
Denver, CO