Can't share files or see other computers on workgroup (and can't P

mchinsomboon

Can't share files or see other computers on workgroup (and can't P
I have a Linksys Draft-N network with 2 XP machines (one wireless, one
wired), and my new Vista Ultimate machine that can be both wired and wireless
(tried both), and I cannot seem to get file sharing to work properly. I have
it working fine on my two XP machines, between each other. I checked the
WORKGROUP and they match. In fact, on the XP machines, I can see the Vista
machine, but when I try to click on it, it says I don't have permissions to
do so.

On the Vista machine, I browse to the Network and that workgroup, and I can
only see the Vista machine in that workgroup (even though on the two XP
machines, I can at least see all 3 machines).

I also checked my settings on the Network and Sharing Center, and I have
turned OFF Password protected sharing, and ON for all other options including
Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public folder sharing, Printer sharing,
Media Sharing. I also have both Norton Firewall (came installed on the HP
Vista Ultimate machine) and Windows Firewall turned OFF.

Also, I get my IP address from CMD with an "ipconfig /all". And, when I try
to ping from the Vista machine, ping itself, it timesout. Same machine, it
can ping the router and of course various Internet website, but just not
itself. E.g. I can ping 192.168.15.1 (gateway) but NOT 192.168.15.104 (Vista
machine).

And, when I'm on the Network and Sharing Center, at the bottom, I click on
"Show me all shared network folders on this computer" and it shows all the
drives that I have shared. Then I click on "Show me all the files and folders
I am sharing" and it comes up "No Items Match your Search", even though I
have specifically shared "c:/disks", a directory, for testing purposes. And
it doesn't show up.

I'm logged in as Admin (no other users exist) on the Vista machine. I can't
figure this out. Please help me!

Thanks in advance!

- Mac

Chuck

Re: Can't share files or see other computers on workgroup (and can't P
On Thu, 3 May 2007 18:28:01 -0700, mchinsomboon
<mchinsomboon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Linksys Draft-N network with 2 XP machines (one wireless, one
>wired), and my new Vista Ultimate machine that can be both wired and wireless
>(tried both), and I cannot seem to get file sharing to work properly. I have
>it working fine on my two XP machines, between each other. I checked the
>WORKGROUP and they match. In fact, on the XP machines, I can see the Vista
>machine, but when I try to click on it, it says I don't have permissions to
>do so.
>
>On the Vista machine, I browse to the Network and that workgroup, and I can
>only see the Vista machine in that workgroup (even though on the two XP
>machines, I can at least see all 3 machines).
>
>I also checked my settings on the Network and Sharing Center, and I have
>turned OFF Password protected sharing, and ON for all other options including
>Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public folder sharing, Printer sharing,
>Media Sharing. I also have both Norton Firewall (came installed on the HP
>Vista Ultimate machine) and Windows Firewall turned OFF.
>
>Also, I get my IP address from CMD with an "ipconfig /all". And, when I try
>to ping from the Vista machine, ping itself, it timesout. Same machine, it
>can ping the router and of course various Internet website, but just not
>itself. E.g. I can ping 192.168.15.1 (gateway) but NOT 192.168.15.104 (Vista
>machine).
>
>And, when I'm on the Network and Sharing Center, at the bottom, I click on
>"Show me all shared network folders on this computer" and it shows all the
>drives that I have shared. Then I click on "Show me all the files and folders
>I am sharing" and it comes up "No Items Match your Search", even though I
>have specifically shared "c:/disks", a directory, for testing purposes. And
>it doesn't show up.
>
>I'm logged in as Admin (no other users exist) on the Vista machine. I can't
>figure this out. Please help me!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>- Mac

Mac,

What you're describing sounds like a personal firewall problem of some type. If
the Vista computer can't ping itself, you have a problem. Try getting
instructions from Symantec, and un installing Norton, religiously following all
Symantec instructions. You wouldn't be the first to discover the advantages of
being Norton Free.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
mchinsomboon

Re: Can't share files or see other computers on workgroup (and can
That was it thanks! The XP machine did still ask for a password, which is odd
since I turned it off, but anywho, I put in my admin password and it worked.
Wow, Norton sucks (not sure why HP preinstalls it).

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2007 18:28:01 -0700, mchinsomboon
> <mchinsomboon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Linksys Draft-N network with 2 XP machines (one wireless, one
> >wired), and my new Vista Ultimate machine that can be both wired and wireless
> >(tried both), and I cannot seem to get file sharing to work properly. I have
> >it working fine on my two XP machines, between each other. I checked the
> >WORKGROUP and they match. In fact, on the XP machines, I can see the Vista
> >machine, but when I try to click on it, it says I don't have permissions to
> >do so.
> >
> >On the Vista machine, I browse to the Network and that workgroup, and I can
> >only see the Vista machine in that workgroup (even though on the two XP
> >machines, I can at least see all 3 machines).
> >
> >I also checked my settings on the Network and Sharing Center, and I have
> >turned OFF Password protected sharing, and ON for all other options including
> >Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public folder sharing, Printer sharing,
> >Media Sharing. I also have both Norton Firewall (came installed on the HP
> >Vista Ultimate machine) and Windows Firewall turned OFF.
> >
> >Also, I get my IP address from CMD with an "ipconfig /all". And, when I try
> >to ping from the Vista machine, ping itself, it timesout. Same machine, it
> >can ping the router and of course various Internet website, but just not
> >itself. E.g. I can ping 192.168.15.1 (gateway) but NOT 192.168.15.104 (Vista
> >machine).
> >
> >And, when I'm on the Network and Sharing Center, at the bottom, I click on
> >"Show me all shared network folders on this computer" and it shows all the
> >drives that I have shared. Then I click on "Show me all the files and folders
> >I am sharing" and it comes up "No Items Match your Search", even though I
> >have specifically shared "c:/disks", a directory, for testing purposes. And
> >it doesn't show up.
> >
> >I'm logged in as Admin (no other users exist) on the Vista machine. I can't
> >figure this out. Please help me!
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >- Mac

> Mac,
>
> What you're describing sounds like a personal firewall problem of some type. If
> the Vista computer can't ping itself, you have a problem. Try getting
> instructions from Symantec, and un installing Norton, religiously following all
> Symantec instructions. You wouldn't be the first to discover the advantages of
> being Norton Free.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: Can't share files or see other computers on workgroup (and can
On Thu, 3 May 2007 21:19:01 -0700, mchinsomboon
<mchinsomboon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 May 2007 18:28:01 -0700, mchinsomboon
>> <mchinsomboon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a Linksys Draft-N network with 2 XP machines (one wireless, one
>> >wired), and my new Vista Ultimate machine that can be both wired and wireless
>> >(tried both), and I cannot seem to get file sharing to work properly. I have
>> >it working fine on my two XP machines, between each other. I checked the
>> >WORKGROUP and they match. In fact, on the XP machines, I can see the Vista
>> >machine, but when I try to click on it, it says I don't have permissions to
>> >do so.
>> >
>> >On the Vista machine, I browse to the Network and that workgroup, and I can
>> >only see the Vista machine in that workgroup (even though on the two XP
>> >machines, I can at least see all 3 machines).
>> >
>> >I also checked my settings on the Network and Sharing Center, and I have
>> >turned OFF Password protected sharing, and ON for all other options including
>> >Network Discovery, File Sharing, Public folder sharing, Printer sharing,
>> >Media Sharing. I also have both Norton Firewall (came installed on the HP
>> >Vista Ultimate machine) and Windows Firewall turned OFF.
>> >
>> >Also, I get my IP address from CMD with an "ipconfig /all". And, when I try
>> >to ping from the Vista machine, ping itself, it timesout. Same machine, it
>> >can ping the router and of course various Internet website, but just not
>> >itself. E.g. I can ping 192.168.15.1 (gateway) but NOT 192.168.15.104 (Vista
>> >machine).
>> >
>> >And, when I'm on the Network and Sharing Center, at the bottom, I click on
>> >"Show me all shared network folders on this computer" and it shows all the
>> >drives that I have shared. Then I click on "Show me all the files and folders
>> >I am sharing" and it comes up "No Items Match your Search", even though I
>> >have specifically shared "c:/disks", a directory, for testing purposes. And
>> >it doesn't show up.
>> >
>> >I'm logged in as Admin (no other users exist) on the Vista machine. I can't
>> >figure this out. Please help me!
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> >- Mac

>> Mac,
>>
>> What you're describing sounds like a personal firewall problem of some type. If
>> the Vista computer can't ping itself, you have a problem. Try getting
>> instructions from Symantec, and un installing Norton, religiously following all
>> Symantec instructions. You wouldn't be the first to discover the advantages of
>> being Norton Free.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

>That was it thanks! The XP machine did still ask for a password, which is odd
>since I turned it off, but anywho, I put in my admin password and it worked.
>Wow, Norton sucks (not sure why HP preinstalls it).

Norton is one of the oldest, and best known AVs. Plus they are overpriced, so
they can lower their prices, to companies who will mass install their product,
without losing money.

Now that you are S$ Free, consider Avast or AVG, both free and both lighter in
resource use.

And thanks for updating the thread.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Followup>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Followup