Access Vista Hard Drive from XP machine

sneuendorf

Access Vista Hard Drive from XP machine
I would like to do this. I can access the XP hard drive from the Vista
machine and I set up the sharing on the Vista (Business) machine in
apparently the same way as on the XP machine. I can map the drive and its
individual folders, but when I try to access anything I get an access denied
message.

Actually I am doing this for all the wrong reasons. I want to see if I can
scan my Vista drive for viruses from the XP machine. The XP machine will scan
in a couple of hours using it's local virus scan. The Vista machine appears
it will take about 47 weeks to scan. I tried scanning the mapped drive on the
XP machine from Vista, and it had the same speed problem, so I assume the
problem is Vista. I spent (wasted) over a full day with the Virus scan
vendor, but no luck. I have found several other people with an apparently
similar problem.

Thanks,

--
Steve
JRB Associates

Re: Access Vista Hard Drive from XP machine
Steve,

I have Windows XP and Vista Ultimate joined to a domain (which addresses
access issues). Windows XP runs Trend Micro PC-cillin 2005, with the latest
signatures. With the root of the Vista C drive shared, and mapped to an XP
drive letter, Pc-cillin on XP can scan 84,217 files on Vista in 51 Minutes
54 Seconds over a 100 Base-t network.

Best wishes,
John Baker

Mike Benton

Re: Access Vista Hard Drive from XP machine
By AVG Professional for about $20 and your problems are solved. I don't have
any issues with my Vista Ultimate laptop.

Mike

"sneuendorf" <sneuendorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to do this. I can access the XP hard drive from the Vista
> machine and I set up the sharing on the Vista (Business) machine in
> apparently the same way as on the XP machine. I can map the drive and its
> individual folders, but when I try to access anything I get an access
> denied
> message.
>
> Actually I am doing this for all the wrong reasons. I want to see if I can
> scan my Vista drive for viruses from the XP machine. The XP machine will
> scan
> in a couple of hours using it's local virus scan. The Vista machine
> appears
> it will take about 47 weeks to scan. I tried scanning the mapped drive on
> the
> XP machine from Vista, and it had the same speed problem, so I assume the
> problem is Vista. I spent (wasted) over a full day with the Virus scan
> vendor, but no luck. I have found several other people with an apparently
> similar problem.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Steve

sneuendorf

Re: Access Vista Hard Drive from XP machine
Thank you John and Mike,

I did try the AVG free. It did scan the first 100K or so files in about 12
hours. I thought that would be OK, but I let it run for 3 more days and it
only got to about 125K files scanned and I know there are about 250K.

I will check out both options and post back for anyone who also may be
having a similar problem.

Thanks,
--
Steve