Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works

chalmers

Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works
I have a laptop with Vista home premium on it that I am trying to connect to
a network. I can connect and see all the other computers on the network if I
am wired to the network but if I go wireless all I can do is surf the web.
What do I need to do to be able to see the other computers useing the
wireless feature? The other computers are XP and yes I am on the same
workgroup. Everything works fine if i'm wired in but not if i go wireless.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works
Make sure the wireless connection setup as private. This ink may help,

Vista Network typeThe behavior of the Public Location Type. If you computer is directly connected to the Internet and you select the Public location type, the following ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/networktype.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"chalmers" <chalmers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news2671972-B69F-42F5-BB12-B47664DF6AF1@microsoft.com...
I have a laptop with Vista home premium on it that I am trying to connect to
a network. I can connect and see all the other computers on the network if I
am wired to the network but if I go wireless all I can do is surf the web.
What do I need to do to be able to see the other computers useing the
wireless feature? The other computers are XP and yes I am on the same
workgroup. Everything works fine if i'm wired in but not if i go wireless.

pctotil is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same problem, so far I have been unable to solve it, I tried hundres of settings , nothing worked so far.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Very strange problem networking Vista to XP (wireless)
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 19:03:04 +0000, pctotil
<pctotil.32iv97@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Hi there, I have a notebook with vista home premium e a home network
>with XP computers, all are connected through a wireless router. The
>notebook conects through wireless, the desktops through wired.
>The problem is that wen using the laptop through wireless I can see
>other computer and even list their shared folders but when I try to
>actually list files the connection timesout and gives an error os
>dennied access to the shared folder. If I try to use VNC for instance,
>the client connects, asks for pass and then after the remote screen
>starts to appear.. it hangs... no response after that . The strange part
>of the problem is that if I connect the laptop through a wired
>connection everything works ok I access shared folders, I print remotely
>, no problems. I tried a number of things , the most obvious, like
>firewalls diferent settings on the network etc. What I can't figure out
>is what can be so different in the PC for the wired to work but not the
>wireless.
>Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Do you know, for a certainty, that the laptop is connecting successfully,
wirelessly? What you're describing is symptomatic of a segmented domain, where
the laptop isn't getting SMBs wirelessly. The "... access denied ..." message
will be seen even when the laptop isn't connected, and in various other
scenarios.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/mysterious-error-5-aka-access-denied.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ss-denied.html

I'd diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all",
from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

pctotil is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply, apart from the problem accessing shares on the XP machines, the network works ok, I can see other PCs on the network map, I have internet access without problems, so I assume the wireless connection is ok. The problem must be something else. The same laptop but with XP installed works ok so it's not hardware related.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista wirelss networking no work, wired networking works
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:33:46 +0000, pctotil
<pctotil.32j24m@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Hi, thanks for the reply, apart from the problem accessing shares on the
>XP machines, the network works ok, I can see other PCs on the network
>map, I have internet access without problems, so I assume the wireless
>connection is ok. The problem must be something else. The same laptop
>but with XP installed works ok so it's not hardware related.

OK, show us the money (or the logs anyway).

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Iain-M

"pctotil" <pctotil.32iv97@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
newsctotil.32iv97@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> The problem is that wen using the laptop through wireless I can see
> other computer and even list their shared folders but when I try to
> actually list files the connection timesout and gives an error os
> dennied access to the shared folder.

Exactly the same problem here. I havnt been able to find any solution other
than plugging in a network cable ....

Hope someone comes up with something...

Barry C J

Re: Very strange problem networking Vista to XP (wireless)
I have EXACTLY the same problems.
I have just spent a week trying to get shares to work across my network
comprising one XP Desktop and one Win98SE desktop to which I have added a
Vista Home Premium Wireless Acer 9520G laptop.
I assumed that because the laptop was connecting to the internet and
downloading files correctly that the wireless side of things was set up and
working OK.
However after finding this post I plugged in a network cable for the first
time at about 1 o'clock this morning - hey presto all is fine with the
network and shares all behave as they should with a wired connection!
During my attempts to network wirelessly I installed "Network Magic" on all
my machines. NM reported that all 3 machines were working and connected and
that system status was good. However in the shared folders view of NM it
listed the XP shares as "offline". NM did not help any further in this,
however I did put in a support request so I will report back here if it
produces any results.
I suspect that my assumption about the wireless connection may be wrong and
that in fact there is a set up problem. I have no previous experience of
wireless connections and am on a steep learning curve.
I will look into Chuck's suggestions.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Cheers, Barry

"Iain-M" wrote:

> "pctotil" <pctotil.32iv97@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
> newsctotil.32iv97@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> >
> > The problem is that wen using the laptop through wireless I can see
> > other computer and even list their shared folders but when I try to
> > actually list files the connection timesout and gives an error os
> > dennied access to the shared folder.

> Exactly the same problem here. I havnt been able to find any solution other
> than plugging in a network cable ....
>
> Hope someone comes up with something...

Barry C J

Re: Very strange problem networking Vista to XP (wireless)
Hi Chuck,
Having read your notes above and understood some ;-)
Here are the "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" results from both
machines (I have left out the 98SE for now to concentrate on just the XP and
Vista) with the Vista connected wirelessly.
Both windows firewalls are on but the problem exists with them both off. I
have double checked the settings to be sure they are configured to allow file
sharing.
Encryption is off on the wireless router.
Router interface type is 802.11b/g (I chose this 'cos it seems to be
supported by the laptop after looking at the adapter properties)
CURRENT STATUS OF THE PROBLEM:-
I can see the Vista from the XP and retrieve files but not save files back
to the Vista from the XP. The filename I attempt to save appears in the Vista
Public folder along with the file size, but the file is corrupt/not really
there?
I can see the XP machine from the Vista incuding shared folders and
filenames, but when I attempt to open a file Explorer times out or crashes
(not responding).

Vista :- (Wireless)
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7E524FA4-4619-469D-9842-2690097C8FF7}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: JACKODESKTOP
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master JACKODESKTOP
\\JACKODESKTOP
There are 2 servers in domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7E524FA4-4619-469D-9842-2690097C8FF7}
There are 1 domains in domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{7E524FA4-4619-469D-9842-2690097C8FF7}

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mavis-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-1B-53-89
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::488d:e36c:a09f:ef0f%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 January 2008 12:54:42
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 January 2008 12:54:42
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333951
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.65%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
2001:0:4137:9e50:20ba:2e45:adba:fc6a(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::20ba:2e45:adba:fc6a%11(Preferred)
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

XP (Wired)

Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{877165E5-1845-46E0-B6AB-BDE54741A84A}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: JACKODESKTOP
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master JACKODESKTOP
\\JACKODESKTOP
There are 2 servers in domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{877165E5-1845-46E0-B6AB-BDE54741A84A}
There are 1 domains in domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{877165E5-1845-46E0-B6AB-BDE54741A84A}

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JACKODESKTOP

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6A-46-A7-CE

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 January 2008 08:55:48

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 January 2008 08:55:48

I hope the above helps to shed some light for all our sakes!

Cheers,
Barry

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 06:24:01 -0800, Barry C J <BarryCJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi Chuck,
>Having read your notes above and understood some ;-)
>Here are the "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" results from both
>machines (I have left out the 98SE for now to concentrate on just the XP and
>Vista) with the Vista connected wirelessly.
>Both windows firewalls are on but the problem exists with them both off. I
>have double checked the settings to be sure they are configured to allow file
>sharing.
>Encryption is off on the wireless router.
>Router interface type is 802.11b/g (I chose this 'cos it seems to be
>supported by the laptop after looking at the adapter properties)
>CURRENT STATUS OF THE PROBLEM:-
>I can see the Vista from the XP and retrieve files but not save files back
>to the Vista from the XP. The filename I attempt to save appears in the Vista
>Public folder along with the file size, but the file is corrupt/not really
>there?
>I can see the XP machine from the Vista incuding shared folders and
>filenames, but when I attempt to open a file Explorer times out or crashes
>(not responding).

Barry,

The problem with Network Magic is that it is "magic". It sets up its own
protocols. It can't magically repair physical problems, nor can it bypass
authentication issues (we should hope).

No problems are apparent in either browstat or ipconfig logs, excepting the
presence of IPV6 on Mavis-PC.

If you observed the problem before installing NM, and NM did not fix the
problem, then I would suspect that the problem is outside the scope of NM.

If your problem is identical to the OPs, I would bet you have a problem with
either the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection on Mavis-PC, or the
binding of the drivers. This would point towards LSP / Winsock.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

The OP hasn't provided us with any diagnostics, as the problem is "... not
hardware related". Have you, like the OP, tried running this hardware with XP
installed? Have you obtained the latest drivers for the 3945ABG from Intel, and
ensured that they are certified for Windows Vista?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/driver-problems-causing-intermittent.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ermittent.html

--
Cheers,