Router problem with Vista

Andreas_0046

Router problem with Vista
Hello
I have a problem regarding a router(D-Link 635), two computers (XP and
Vista) and a NAS (Synology Dj209). From the XP-computer I can explore both
the NAS and the Vista computer, but from the Vista-computer all I can see
when I explore the Network is the Vista computer and %%%CUST_DEVICE_NAME
(which then is the router). Since I can see everything from the XP-computer,
they all have the same workgroup etc... Something that adds a bit drama is
that I cant double-click on the Vista-computer from the Vista
computer/Network without getting an error message (translated into english:
\\NAME is not available. Name of the Network provider is not valid). I assume
that the problem is on the Vista computer. I run Microsoft Security
Essentials and the Windows Firewall (no extra...).
Please, give me some suggestions that will enable me to reach the NAS from
the Vista computer!

With friendly regards,
Andreas
Tae Song

Re: Router problem with Vista

"Andreas_0046" <Andreas_0046@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a problem regarding a router(D-Link 635), two computers (XP and
> Vista) and a NAS (Synology Dj209). From the XP-computer I can explore
> both
> the NAS and the Vista computer, but from the Vista-computer all I can see
> when I explore the Network is the Vista computer and %%%CUST_DEVICE_NAME
> (which then is the router). Since I can see everything from the
> XP-computer,
> they all have the same workgroup etc... Something that adds a bit drama is
> that I cant double-click on the Vista-computer from the Vista
> computer/Network without getting an error message (translated into
> english:
> \\NAME is not available. Name of the Network provider is not valid). I
> assume
> that the problem is on the Vista computer. I run Microsoft Security
> Essentials and the Windows Firewall (no extra...).
> Please, give me some suggestions that will enable me to reach the NAS from
> the Vista computer!
>

> With friendly regards,
> Andreas

Do you mean Synology DS209j.?

You might try updating the network driver on the Vista computer.

What network card do you use, or what is the computer model?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Router problem with Vista
Hi
For the XP computer try this, Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not
need for XP-SP3) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
As for the NAS try Synology Support hey might have something similar for
their hardware.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).