Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

hlliw

Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

Hey all - having a rather frustrating experience with my computer.

I'm on Vista x64 with an ASUS P5N-SLI mobo and a Realtek RTL8139/810x
NIC.

The onboard ethernet stopped working on my mobo, so I bought a cheap
OEM NIC and installed it earlier today. The modem is reading it fine -
the PC link light is illuminated - but Vista seems to think that there's
nothing plugged into it.

In accordance with other people having this issue, I went into my BIOS
and disabled everything I could - namely the 1394 onboard firewire - but
nothing has worked. When I disabled the Nvidia LAN controller in the
BIOS, the computer was able to communicate with the network sort of -
but for whatever reason, was still unable to connect fully or to the
internet. It was giving me errors about assigning the IP, resetting the
router, etc.

Any ideas?

--
hlliw
Tae Song

Re: Error: A cable is not plugged into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

"hlliw" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:1c0229d697c8b68a5ef5e7531bed6a2f@nntp-gateway.com...

> Hey all - having a rather frustrating experience with my computer.
>
> I'm on Vista x64 with an ASUS P5N-SLI mobo and a Realtek RTL8139/810x
> NIC.
>
> The onboard ethernet stopped working on my mobo, so I bought a cheap
> OEM NIC and installed it earlier today. The modem is reading it fine -
> the PC link light is illuminated - but Vista seems to think that there's
> nothing plugged into it.
>
> In accordance with other people having this issue, I went into my BIOS
> and disabled everything I could - namely the 1394 onboard firewire - but
> nothing has worked. When I disabled the Nvidia LAN controller in the
> BIOS, the computer was able to communicate with the network sort of -
> but for whatever reason, was still unable to connect fully or to the
> internet. It was giving me errors about assigning the IP, resetting the
> router, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> hlliw

Did you update the Realtek RTL8139/810x driver from Windows Update?

I did and although no errors were reported in Device Manager, my network stopped working. I installed Realtek drivers from their site and it works fine. The NIC may look like it is not working if you install the driver from Windows update. It's dated back to 2007, I don't know what they're thinking offering that driver.

smlunatick

On Oct 5, 11:59*pm, hlliw <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> Hey all - having a rather frustrating experience with my computer.
>
> I'm on Vista x64 with an ASUS P5N-SLI mobo and a Realtek RTL8139/810x
> NIC.
>
> The onboard ethernet stopped working on my mobo, so I bought a cheap
> OEM NIC and installed it earlier today. The modem is reading it fine -
> the PC link light is illuminated - but Vista seems to think that there's
> nothing plugged into it.
>
> In accordance with other people having this issue, I went into my BIOS
> and disabled everything I could - namely the 1394 onboard firewire - but
> nothing has worked. When I disabled the Nvidia LAN controller in the
> BIOS, the computer was able to communicate with the network sort of -
> but for whatever reason, was still unable to connect fully or to the
> internet. It was giving me errors about assigning the IP, resetting the
> router, etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> hlliw