Vista - Intermittent failure to connect to the network

wdurham

Vista - Intermittent failure to connect to the network
I have a four machine network. Two laptops running Windows XP Pro SP2.
One laptop running Vista Home Basic. One laptop running Visa Home
Premium. Both the Vista machines are up-to-date using Windows update.
The machine which runs Vista Home Premium is on almost all the time -
sleeping at night and being woken up in the morning. The other three
log in for a few hours daily.

The modem/router is a brand new Netgear DG834GT, firmware version
1.02.19. The Vista machines each have Atheros AR5007EG wireless
adapters, both running with the very latest driver dated 5 Sep 2009.
The network name is "Netgear". All machines are configured to obtain
IP addresses from the router, which has the correct address range
settings (i.e. excluding its own address).

The two XP machines never have any problems at all in connecting to
the network and gaining local and internet access. Ever. Connection is
foolproof and works every single time.

The Vista Home Premium machine rarely has problems. Although
intermittently, if the connection drops for any reason, the
"Indentifying network" condition crops up. Eventually it will connect
to an "Unidentified network (Netgear)" saying it has local access
only. However it has no access at all to the network and is completely
isolated. No networked machines - including my NAS and network
printer - appear and I am unable to even access the router via its
web interface. The only solution in this instance is to power the
router off and on again after a short wait. The laptop can then access
the network and the internet.

The Vista Home Basic machine has massive difficulties. But they are
intermittent and appear utterly arbitrary. The situation is
complicated by the fact that it's an Amilo Li 2727 which has a WLAN-ON
switch which will not appear until Vista has completed loading and has
already established that the machine has no connectivity. Once the
WLAN has been switched on, one of two things happens - and what
happens seems completely arbitrary:

1. The machine identifies and connects to the network correctly with
local access only. Ipconfig shows a correct 192.xxx IP address has
been assigned, not a 169.xxx address. Local machines and the NAS and
network printer are available. The router can be accessed via its web
interface. A "Repair and Diagnose" then gives internet connectivity
within seconds.

2. The machine sits for several minutes "Identifying network". It then
says it is connected to "Unidentified network (Netgear)" and has local
access only. In fact it has no connectivity at all. No networked
machines - including the NAS and network printer - appear and I can't
access the router via its web interface. There seems to be no solution
to this. "Repair and Diagnose " suggests re-enabling the ethernet
card! Rebooting makes no difference. Rebooting the router first, and
then restarting the laptop mostly makes no difference. At some point -
which it decides for itself, without me having changed ANYTHING -
Vista will decide it is happy and will occasionally allow full
connectivity.

Today, a series of 11 successive starts brought up (1) above. The
next 6 or 7 starts brought up (2) above. Then one single start came
up with (1) before reverting to (2) for successive restarts. The
problem is totally arbitrary. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't,
when absolutely nothing has been changed in the interim.

I have applied the MSKB published fixes.
I have switched off IPv6
All machines have their ethernet LAN adapters disabled in Device
Manager - only the wireless adapter is enabled.
I have ensured that all machines are obtaining IP addresses etc
automatically from the router.
None of the machines has a software firewall, as they all rely on the
hardware firewall in the router for their protection
Both Vista machines (which came with Norton demos) have had the Norton
Uninstaller applied.
The router is not applying MAC address filtering.

I am at my wits end with this, as the error conditions simply aren't
repeatable or consistent. One minute it will do it right, then for the
next half hour it fails.

Can anyone at all give me any idea why Vista is behaving in such an
arbitrary manner?

Is the solution REALLY to go back to XP, which seems to have no
problems at all, and was even capable of co-existing happily with an
OSX Macintosh on the network as well? The Mac is now gone, and given
Vista's sniffy attitude, I am glad!
lemur

Re: Vista - Intermittent failure to connect to the network

The latest bios flash for your Amilo notebook is May 2009. It might be
worthwhile updating drivers and flash.
'Downloads - Support - Fujitsu'
(http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/com/su...downloads.html)
Router flash is up-to-date.

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
wdurham

On 3 Oct, 19:05, lemur <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> The latest bios flash for your Amilo notebook is May 2009. It might be
> worthwhile updating drivers and flash.
> 'Downloads - Support - Fujitsu'
> (http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/com/su...downloads.html)
> Router flash is up-to-date.
>
> --
> lemur
>
> ::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
> their *REP* icon. Thanks! *(the middle scale icon in the upper right
> corner)::

Thanks, lemur. I'll give it a try.

However, the only BIOS change that would be of benefit is if the Amilo
Li 2727 would fire up the WLAN on startup. Which it won't. And Fujitsu
have made it very plain that they have no intention of enabling WLAN
at startup - this is allegedly a "security feature". The opportunity
to switch on the WLAN comes only after Windows has finished its
initiation and is ready for use. By which time, Windows has already
established that it has no connectivity to a network, network drives
are all inaccessible, and the router is invisible. Hence the
"Indentifying network....local access only" situation and the eventual
allocation of a 169.xxx IP address for the "Unidentified Network". If
the "local access only" message were true, most times that would be
OK, because a repair would solve the problem. But most times it is
rubbish, as the Amilo has no connectivity at all with the network. It
has become invisible to the other computers on the network and is
invisible to the router.

The horrid thing about all this is that it is intermittent. One time
it works, the next it will not. There cannot be a permanent problem
with the BIOS, the router, the wireless adapter, etc, or it would
NEVER work. And there is the extra point that another Windows Vista
Home laptop on the network with the identical Atheros WLAN interface,
using the identical Atheros driver, and identical settings, connects
99% of the time without difficulty.
wdurham

Re: Vista - Intermittent failure to connect to the network
On 3 Oct, 19:05, lemur <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> The latest bios flash for your Amilo notebook is May 2009. It might be
> worthwhile updating drivers and flash.
> 'Downloads - Support - Fujitsu'
> (http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/com/su...downloads.html)
> Router flash is up-to-date.
>
> --
> lemur
>
> ::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
> their *REP* icon. Thanks! *(the middle scale icon in the upper right
> corner)::

Thanks, lemur. I'll give it a try.

However, the only BIOS change that would be of benefit is if the Amilo
Li 2727 would fire up the WLAN on startup. Which it won't. And Fujitsu
have made it very plain that they have no intention of enabling WLAN
at startup - this is allegedly a "security feature". The opportunity
to switch on the WLAN comes only after Windows has finished its
initiation and is ready for use. By which time, Windows has already
established that it has no connectivity to a network, network drives
are all inaccessible, and the router is invisible. Hence the
"Indentifying network....local access only" situation and the eventual
allocation of a 169.xxx IP address for the "Unidentified Network". If
the "local access only" message were true, most times that would be
OK, because a repair would solve the problem. But most times it is
rubbish, as the Amilo has no connectivity at all with the network. It
has become invisible to the other computers on the network and is
invisible to the router.

The horrid thing about all this is that it is intermittent. One time
it works, the next it will not. There cannot be a permanent problem
with the BIOS, the router, the wireless adapter, etc, or it would
NEVER work. And there is the extra point that another Windows Vista
Home laptop on the network with the identical Atheros WLAN interface,
using the identical Atheros driver, and identical settings, connects
99% of the time without difficulty.
Tae Song

"wdurham" <durham.wendy@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:6f8d5161-b723-45c4-9c55-8dcaff19f5c2@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

> [...]
> I have ensured that all machines are obtaining IP addresses etc
> automatically from the router.
> None of the machines has a software firewall, as they all rely on the
> hardware firewall in the router for their protection
> Both Vista machines (which came with Norton demos) have had the Norton
> Uninstaller applied.
> The router is not applying MAC address filtering.
>
> I am at my wits end with this, as the error conditions simply aren't
> repeatable or consistent. One minute it will do it right, then for the
> next half hour it fails.
>
> Can anyone at all give me any idea why Vista is behaving in such an
> arbitrary manner?
>
> Is the solution REALLY to go back to XP, which seems to have no
> problems at all, and was even capable of co-existing happily with an
> OSX Macintosh on the network as well? The Mac is now gone, and given

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Or use static IP address for Vista machines.
bmwr90s

Re: Vista - Intermittent failure to connect to the network

Wdurham - My experience *very* similar to yours. This began on 9/18/09,
I presume caused by a Vista update. If you are interested in detailed
comparison of problems, post a reply and we can get going.

However, either way, do me a favor and try just ONE thing. Next time
your connection gets dropped, don't touch anything EXCEPT the router.
Power cycle the router and see if that brings your connection back.
This has worked several times in a row for me (I hesitate to declare
this to be always true, as I have found several procedures which work
SOME of the time...).

Anyway, power cycle the router only and report back.

--
bmwr90s