Wireless & Vista

Mickle12

Wireless & Vista
Hey there! Windows won't connect on the wire less
Lets keep it simple and brief:
bough new pc, Acer E700 with windows Vista Premium.
Got several wireless adapters, Pci gigabyte, dlink usb, and netgear wireless
usb.
My Network router is a Dlink. I have five other computers around the house
connect though wired and wireless, all have windows xp. It is using WPA-psk
so no probs with the WEP vista incompatability.

I Can't get my dam vista to work on the wireless. The strange thing is it
works fine when it is wired. I can find the network, it can see it, it tried
to connect but always comes back with "windows cannot connect to the
Network". I tried to install and connect in a safe mode with networking in
case there was some firewall stuffing it up but still the same. I also
contacted dlink and they were no help.

I am at a loss. I don't understand why it would work with wired and not
wireless????????????

Thanks for any help

Mick, Brisbane Australia.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Wireless & Vista
As we know some router or DHCP may have issues with Vista wireless. These posts may help,

Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Wireless connectivity issue ... The wireless connection may drop when you use battery power. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistawireless.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Mickle12" <Mickle12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33EB1D2E-52BD-478B-A24E-6122D976140F@microsoft.com...
[...]

Woooooooo! i got it working.

Found a fix! i read some where on here that xp has a short delay in sending
initial information through the wireless for the network. However, Vista does
not have that delay as it is "improved." Therefore, my network hub and vista
were incompatible until i got the latest firmware update. This was because
the hub would not receive information as it was using the xp timing and vista
saw it as non-responsive. After i updated the router firmware, everything
worked sweet.
However, in writing this i admit i might be completely wrong about the
timing thing and it was shear luck.

hopefully this helps some one, it took me 5 hours and a small miracle to
figure it out.

Mick
Brisbane, Australia

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> As we know some router or DHCP may have issues with Vista wireless. These posts may help,
>
> Vista Wireless IssuesVista: Wireless connectivity issue ... The wireless connection may drop when you use battery power. ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistawireless.htm
>

> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Mickle12" <Mickle12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33EB1D2E-52BD-478B-A24E-6122D976140F@microsoft.com...
> Hey there! Windows won't connect on the wire less
> Lets keep it simple and brief:
> bough new pc, Acer E700 with windows Vista Premium.
> Got several wireless adapters, Pci gigabyte, dlink usb, and netgear wireless
> usb.
> My Network router is a Dlink. I have five other computers around the house
> connect though wired and wireless, all have windows xp. It is using WPA-psk
> so no probs with the WEP vista incompatability.
>
> I Can't get my dam vista to work on the wireless. The strange thing is it
> works fine when it is wired. I can find the network, it can see it, it tried
> to connect but always comes back with "windows cannot connect to the
> Network". I tried to install and connect in a safe mode with networking in
> case there was some firewall stuffing it up but still the same. I also
> contacted dlink and they were no help.
>
> I am at a loss. I don't understand why it would work with wired and not
> wireless????????????
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Mick, Brisbane Australia

Robert L [MVP - Networking]