Unidentified network/limited connectivity...

Jason-F2F

Unidentified network/limited connectivity...
Here is the situation, last night (9/20/09) I was hapily using the internet
with my Vista Home desktop computer (using Verizon DSL) when all of a sudden
I got the BSOD. After restart, I suddenly find that I'm unable to connect to
the internet and keep seeing this dreaded "unidentified network/limited
connectivity" information. I go through the troubleshooting guides and the
computer is unable to find any problems.

I have two other desktop computers hooked up to the same router and have
turned it off, unplugged it, reset it, changed cables, swapped plug
locations... everything! Nothing has changed. The other computers work
great, mine is stupid all of the sudden.

I found that I can, however, connect to the internet just fine in safe mode
with networking. No problems! I have swept for viruses/spyware to no avail.
Hell, I even reinstalled my network driver!

When I went back to see my IP address when in normal mode It was
169.254.49.131, which I learned from this site it should not be. But when I
am in safe mode with networking it's 192.168.1.1

What gives? I've disabled a number of programs from starting up
automatically, and the last software update I had was Friday, and everythign
was working fine. (Remember, the internet was working great on Monday
evening, before the BSOD moment)

If anyone has ANY advice, please tell me!!! It's driving me NUTS!
From Northern Germany

Re: Unidentified network/limited connectivity...

Sounds like you should do a "System Restore". Go back to the date where you
had your last update and then restore the computer to that date. Should come
up and running again if it isn't a virus you picked up. I have also done
that a couple of times and it worked well for me. If it doesn't work; it
"could" mean (but not 100%) that some part of your hardware is maybe giving
up the ghost.

Good Luck

"Jason-F2F" <Jason-F2F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the situation, last night (9/20/09) I was hapily using the
> internet
> with my Vista Home desktop computer (using Verizon DSL) when all of a
> sudden
> I got the BSOD. After restart, I suddenly find that I'm unable to connect
> the internet and keep seeing this dreaded "unidentified network/limited
> connectivity" information. I go through the troubleshooting guides and
> the
> computer is unable to find any problems.
>
> I have two other desktop computers hooked up to the same router and have
> turned it off, unplugged it, reset it, changed cables, swapped plug
> locations... everything! Nothing has changed. The other computers work
> great, mine is stupid all of the sudden.
>
> I found that I can, however, connect to the internet just fine in safe
> mode
> with networking. No problems! I have swept for viruses/spyware to no
> avail.
> Hell, I even reinstalled my network driver!
>
> When I went back to see my IP address when in normal mode It was
> 169.254.49.131, which I learned from this site it should not be. But when
> am in safe mode with networking it's 192.168.1.1
>
> What gives? I've disabled a number of programs from starting up
> automatically, and the last software update I had was Friday, and
> everythign
> was working fine. (Remember, the internet was working great on Monday
> evening, before the BSOD moment)
>
> If anyone has ANY advice, please tell me!!! It's driving me NUTS!

rak

Re: Unidentified network/limited connectivity...
Try downloading and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (install from usb
after downloading from another pc if necessary). Its free and will help you
eliminate the virus possibility anyway.

"Jason-F2F" <Jason-F2F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the situation, last night (9/20/09) I was hapily using the
> internet
> with my Vista Home desktop computer (using Verizon DSL) when all of a
> sudden
> I got the BSOD. After restart, I suddenly find that I'm unable to connect
> the internet and keep seeing this dreaded "unidentified network/limited
> connectivity" information. I go through the troubleshooting guides and
> the
> computer is unable to find any problems.
>
> I have two other desktop computers hooked up to the same router and have
> turned it off, unplugged it, reset it, changed cables, swapped plug
> locations... everything! Nothing has changed. The other computers work
> great, mine is stupid all of the sudden.
>
> I found that I can, however, connect to the internet just fine in safe
> mode
> with networking. No problems! I have swept for viruses/spyware to no
> avail.
> Hell, I even reinstalled my network driver!
>
> When I went back to see my IP address when in normal mode It was
> 169.254.49.131, which I learned from this site it should not be. But when
> am in safe mode with networking it's 192.168.1.1
>
> What gives? I've disabled a number of programs from starting up
> automatically, and the last software update I had was Friday, and
> everythign
> was working fine. (Remember, the internet was working great on Monday
> evening, before the BSOD moment)
>
> If anyone has ANY advice, please tell me!!! It's driving me NUTS!

Jason-F2F

RE: Unidentified network/limited connectivity...
Thanks for the advice! The second thing I attempted was a system restore and
to my utter surprise, found I had NO saved restore points! This has to have
been a recent occurence because I've used them in the past and even
double-check every now and then just for situations like this.