Using Remote Desktop Connection

Pat Cook

Using Remote Desktop Connection
Okay here's what I'd like to do (Hopefully I won't get anyone lost here).

I have a laptop that's on Windows Vista Home Premium & is faster than my boatanchor desktop (An old AMD Duron 1 Ghz. CPU with only 512 MB of RAM that's on Windows XP Home Edition, which I got back in 2001).

The desktop has a bulky monitor hooked up to it (It's not even a flat screen!). What I'd LOVE to do is GET RID of the desktop monitor completely in lieu of Remote Desktop Connection on the laptop. This way, I can still perform necessary functions that require my attendance at the desktop without actually HAVING A DESKTOP MONITOR to see by.

Is everyone still with me? Have I lost anyone?

I have managed to set up file sharing & can access a few select programs which I have to leave on the desktop because they won't run on the laptop directly due to compatibility issues BUT I can't access Program Files on the desktop via Windows Explorer on the laptop when needed (It says I need administrator privleges EVEN THOUGH I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR. Everything else I have on the laptop itself.

To top it all off, that bulky monitor takes up the necessary space on the desk needed to put the laptop on the desk as opposed to the table I eat food off of that's across the room.

If I can SOMEHOW get some help in gaining access to the desktop monitor (As in the one I physically see instead of the one Windows XP wants the world to see) using the RDC n the laptop, it'd be a BIG help!

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Using Remote Desktop Connection

.

>Is everyone still with me? Have I lost anyone?
>
>I have managed to set up file sharing & can access a few select programs which
>I have to leave on the desktop because they won't run on the laptop directly due
>to compatibility issues BUT I can't access Program Files on the desktop via
>Windows Explorer on the laptop when needed (It says I need administrator privleges
>EVEN THOUGH I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR. Everything else I have on the
>laptop itself.
>
>To top it all off, that bulky monitor takes up the necessary space on the desk
>needed to put the laptop on the desk as opposed to the table I eat food off of
>that's across the room.
>
>If I can SOMEHOW get some help in gaining access to the desktop
>monitor (As in the one I physically see instead of the one Windows XP wants
>the world to see) using the RDC n the laptop, it'd be a BIG help!
>
>Many thanks in advance!
>
>Cheers
>

>Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

As you've discovered, XP Home Edition doesn't allow sharing the
Program Files folder over a network. You can share individual folders
within Program Files, though.

Also, you can't access an XP Home Edition computer via Remote Desktop.
A good alternative is TightVNC, from http://www.tightvnc.com .
Configure the XP computer as a VNC server and run it as a service, so
that it starts automatically when the computer starts.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
rak

Re: Using Remote Desktop Connection
Look at Windows Live Mesh. I think it will do what you want.

.