vista home premium

ed

vista home premium
trying to connect my new laptop o office network where the others are xp with
no success for many days, frustrated.

I can ping every xp pc on the network but I cannot see them in network and
sharing windows. after loading network discovery responder to one of the pcs
now I can see it in detailed network map but I still do not have an access to
it and to its files.

Followed instructions, clues given in previous discussions in the forum none
is helpful.
I will appreciate if anyone can spread a light into this problem.
JRB Associates

Re: vista home premium
Ed,

The networking in Vista Home Basic and Home Premium is not designed to work
with Domains (if that is what the office is).

John Baker

ed

Re: vista home premium
thx for reply but it is not a domain.

"JRB Associates" wrote:

> Ed,
>
> The networking in Vista Home Basic and Home Premium is not designed to work
> with Domains (if that is what the office is).
>
> John Baker

Marc

Re: vista home premium
Vista defaults to a different work group than XP--make sure all the machines
are in the same work group... and see if that works...

"ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> trying to connect my new laptop o office network where the others are xp

with
> no success for many days, frustrated.
>
> I can ping every xp pc on the network but I cannot see them in network and
> sharing windows. after loading network discovery responder to one of the

pcs
> now I can see it in detailed network map but I still do not have an access

> it and to its files.
>
> Followed instructions, clues given in previous discussions in the forum

none
> is helpful.
> I will appreciate if anyone can spread a light into this problem.

Chuck

Re: vista home premium
On Wed, 2 May 2007 06:24:02 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>trying to connect my new laptop o office network where the others are xp with
>no success for many days, frustrated.
>
>I can ping every xp pc on the network but I cannot see them in network and
>sharing windows. after loading network discovery responder to one of the pcs
>now I can see it in detailed network map but I still do not have an access to
>it and to its files.
>
>Followed instructions, clues given in previous discussions in the forum none
>is helpful.
>I will appreciate if anyone can spread a light into this problem.

Ed,

If your LAN is workgroup based, you'll have issues with Windows Vista that have
been known with Windows XP.
* Put all computers in the same workgroup.
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
For details about these issues:

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
ed

Re: vista home premium
All are in the same workgroup

"Marc" wrote:

> Vista defaults to a different work group than XP--make sure all the machines
> are in the same work group... and see if that works...
>

> "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > trying to connect my new laptop o office network where the others are xp

> with
> > no success for many days, frustrated.
> >
> > I can ping every xp pc on the network but I cannot see them in network and
> > sharing windows. after loading network discovery responder to one of the

> pcs
> > now I can see it in detailed network map but I still do not have an access

> > it and to its files.
> >
> > Followed instructions, clues given in previous discussions in the forum

> none
> > is helpful.
> > I will appreciate if anyone can spread a light into this problem.

ed

Re: vista home premium
Chuck thanks for your time..
I went through blogspot you provided and did whatever possible but I still
have the same problem. Here is what I did:
1. turned DHCP broadcast flagg off
2.network type is "private"
3.file sharing is "on"
4.network discovery is "on"
5.PPS is "off"
6.NetBT is enabled
7.windows firewall is "on" and properly configured
8.file printer sharing has been enabled but after highlighting it there is
no edit option in win firewall settings/exceptions
9.took out antivirus program
10.can still ping devices on the network, can see one computer in detailed
network map after loading LLTD responder that is all others are invisible and
there is no access to visible one
11.in ipconfig /all command ı see node type as Hybrid but ı cannot change it
to Broadcast since HKey path given does not match with regedit available.
Any suggestion???

On Thu, 3 May 2007 07:14:00 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 May 2007 06:24:02 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >trying to connect my new laptop o office network where the others are xp with
>> >no success for many days, frustrated.
>> >
>> >I can ping every xp pc on the network but I cannot see them in network and
>> >sharing windows. after loading network discovery responder to one of the pcs
>> >now I can see it in detailed network map but I still do not have an access to
>> >it and to its files.
>> >
>> >Followed instructions, clues given in previous discussions in the forum none
>> >is helpful.
>> >I will appreciate if anyone can spread a light into this problem.

>> Ed,
>>
>> If your LAN is workgroup based, you'll have issues with Windows Vista that have
>> been known with Windows XP.
>> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
>> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
>> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
>> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
>> For details about these issues:
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

>Chuck thanks for your time..
>I went through blogspot you provided and did whatever possible but I still
>have the same problem. Here is what I did:
>1. turned DHCP broadcast flagg off
>2.network type is "private"
>3.file sharing is "on"
>4.network discovery is "on"
>5.PPS is "off"
>6.NetBT is enabled
>7.windows firewall is "on" and properly configured
>8.file printer sharing has been enabled but after highlighting it there is
>no edit option in win firewall settings/exceptions
>9.took out antivirus program
>10.can still ping devices on the network, can see one computer in detailed
>network map after loading LLTD responder that is all others are invisible and
>there is no access to visible one
>11.in ipconfig /all command ? see node type as Hybrid but ? cannot change it
>to Broadcast since HKey path given does not match with regedit available.
>Any suggestion???

Ed,

The original report said that you cannot "see" the other computers in Network
and Sharing (aka "Network Neighborhood" in XP). There are two known causes for
this:
1) Blocked browser SMBs from the invisible computers, to the master browser.
2) Master browser conflict.

Are you connecting to a domain, or a workgroup? Is the problem computer in the
same workgroup, or in a workgroup with the same name as the domain (if the
network is domain based)?

Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from the problem computer, and
from 2 other computers, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked
articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Read about the master browser in general:
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2007 07:14:00 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> >> Ed,
> >>
> >> If your LAN is workgroup based, you'll have issues with Windows Vista that have
> >> been known with Windows XP.
> >> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
> >> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
> >> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
> >> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
> >> For details about these issues:
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

> >Chuck thanks for your time..
> >I went through blogspot you provided and did whatever possible but I still
> >have the same problem. Here is what I did:
> >1. turned DHCP broadcast flagg off
> >2.network type is "private"
> >3.file sharing is "on"
> >4.network discovery is "on"
> >5.PPS is "off"
> >6.NetBT is enabled
> >7.windows firewall is "on" and properly configured
> >8.file printer sharing has been enabled but after highlighting it there is
> >no edit option in win firewall settings/exceptions
> >9.took out antivirus program
> >10.can still ping devices on the network, can see one computer in detailed
> >network map after loading LLTD responder that is all others are invisible and
> >there is no access to visible one
> >11.in ipconfig /all command ? see node type as Hybrid but ? cannot change it
> >to Broadcast since HKey path given does not match with regedit available.
> >Any suggestion???

> Ed,
>
> The original report said that you cannot "see" the other computers in Network
> and Sharing (aka "Network Neighborhood" in XP). There are two known causes for
> this:
> 1) Blocked browser SMBs from the invisible computers, to the master browser.
> 2) Master browser conflict.
>
> Are you connecting to a domain, or a workgroup? Is the problem computer in the
> same workgroup, or in a workgroup with the same name as the domain (if the
> network is domain based)?
>
> Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from the problem computer, and
> from 2 other computers, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked
> articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> Read about the master browser in general:
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

here is browstat and ipconfig info of my laptop. pls tell me something...
C:\Users\toshiba\Downloads\browstat>browstat status

Status for domain OFFICE on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0978136B-A6BB-4B09-8D
A4-CC4E6B696C1A}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
C:\Users\toshiba>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Con
nection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-D2-5D-D6-A6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c470:3dd:a415:9633%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.9(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 May 2007 13:07:02
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 June 2143 20:34:55
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251664850
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-6A-D7-3D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2887:83d:3f57:fdf6%9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{5291AF49-A5C9-4154-90AC-597BAF10F
533}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{0978136B-A6BB-4B09-8DA4-CC4E6B696
C1A}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.2.9%12(Preferred)
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
My note type is "hybrid" while others are "unknown"
Chuck

Re: vista home premium
On Tue, 8 May 2007 04:15:00 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
>isatap.{5291AF49-A5C9-4154-90AC-597BAF10F
>533}
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
>Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
>isatap.{0978136B-A6BB-4B09-8DA4-CC4E6B696
>C1A}
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.2.9%12(Preferred)
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
>My note type is "hybrid" while others are "unknown"

Node types "hybrid" vs "unknown" are OK.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...on-on-lan.html

Your problem is with browsing, not name resolution. Here's a symptom.
>Status for domain OFFICE on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0978136B-A6BB-4B09-8D
>A4-CC4E6B696C1A}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

This computer isn't getting SMBs from itself, or from other computers.
1) You aren't using NetBT consistently.
2) You have a personal firewall, or other security component, blocking SMBs.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html