Network Name vs Workgroup

Bitz

Network Name vs Workgroup
The Network and Sharing Center displays a Network Name preceding the Network
Type (Public or Private) both of which can be modified. Under the Control
Panels | System |Advanced system settings under the Computer Name tab you
can view the Workgroup Name and of course modify. I understand the
importance of having the Workgroup Name consistent between my XP and Vista
computers. Should the Network Name be the same as the Workgroup Name? Does
the Network Name have any function in network connections?

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Network Name vs Workgroup
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 06:15:10 -0400, "Bitz" <edbitzer@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The Network and Sharing Center displays a Network Name preceding the Network
>Type (Public or Private) both of which can be modified. Under the Control
>Panels | System |Advanced system settings under the Computer Name tab you
>can view the Workgroup Name and of course modify. I understand the
>importance of having the Workgroup Name consistent between my XP and Vista
>computers. Should the Network Name be the same as the Workgroup Name? Does
>the Network Name have any function in network connections?

Network and workgroup names serve no practical purpose in XP and
Vista. Configure them in whatever way makes sense to you or helps you
to visualize your network.

A network can have multiple workgroups, and a computer in any
workgroup can access a computer in any workgroup.

Different computers can give different names to the same network.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Bitz

Re: Network Name vs Workgroup
Steve, However I assume that the often repeated statement from the Windows
Help file "It's important to use the same workgroup name for all of the
computers on your network." is true for my Private home network of two
computers, one running Vista Home Premium, the other XP-Home. I asked this
question because I had retreated to fundamentals trying to fix a problem
with my own network after not getting a response to the broader problem I
offered here 8/28 "New Use Syntax on Vista." I recieved no responses to that
question. I do have both computers named the same now know to ignore the
Network Name as a factor. Any suggestions you might have on rephrasing my
earlier question to clarify?

Appreciate,
Ed

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:26:30 -0400, "Bitz" <edbitzer@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Steve, However I assume that the often repeated statement from the Windows
>Help file "It's important to use the same workgroup name for all of the
>computers on your network." is true for my Private home network of two
>computers, one running Vista Home Premium, the other XP-Home. I asked this
>question because I had retreated to fundamentals trying to fix a problem
>with my own network after not getting a response to the broader problem I
>offered here 8/28 "New Use Syntax on Vista." I recieved no responses to that
>question. I do have both computers named the same now know to ignore the
>Network Name as a factor. Any suggestions you might have on rephrasing my
>earlier question to clarify?
>
>Appreciate,
>Ed

Hi, Ed. It's really not important to use the same workgroup name for
all of the computers in XP and Vista, despite what the Help file,
Knowledge Base, newsgroups, forums, and networking web sites say.
There's a lot of networking misinformation out there, as I describe on
my web site:

Windows Networking Myths
http://www.bcmaven.com/myths.htm

Workgroup names serve no practical purpose in XP and Vista. Computers
from all workgroups appear in XP's "My Network Places" and in Vista's
"Network".

Using the same workgroup name for all computers helps a little in
Windows 95 and 98, because only computers in the current workgroup
appear in the default view of Network Neighborhood. But it's easy to
see other workgroups and their computers, too.

I'll look at your 8/28 message.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Bitz

Re: Network Name vs Workgroup
Steve, I should be more knowledgeable on the subject of LANS having
networked two computers back to Win95. Having two computers connected
(originally with a home-made cross over cable) has been my security blanket
for years, backing up to the second nightly and therefore not wondering
where I was going to read my floppy, diskette or CD, if one of my computers
failed. Never could keep much in my head. Interesting how many of the myths
you debunked on your page, I believed. Will definitely spend more time
understanding... and you need (for my sake) to update and include the Vista
myths<g>.

Thanks for sticking with me and I do appreciate your checking out my earlier
message.