2 PC Home Network (1 Vista PC and 1 Windows XP PC)

Nicola

2 PC Home Network (1 Vista PC and 1 Windows XP PC)
I have a new PC that has the Windows Vista Home Premium version. My
daughter's having my old PC at Christmas, which runs Windows XP. I want to
set up a Wireless Home Network and was wondering if the Vista Parental
Controls will still be compatible with a Windows XP PC on the network, for
example: will I be able to look at log files to see what sites she accesses
and use the time slots so the Internet will only be available to her at
certain times? Will I also be able to choose when she can use her computer by
setting up the Parental Controls from my computer? Any help will be much
appreciated. Thanks.
Malke

Re: 2 PC Home Network (1 Vista PC and 1 Windows XP PC)
Nicola wrote:
> I have a new PC that has the Windows Vista Home Premium version. My
> daughter's having my old PC at Christmas, which runs Windows XP. I want to
> set up a Wireless Home Network and was wondering if the Vista Parental
> Controls will still be compatible with a Windows XP PC on the network, for
> example: will I be able to look at log files to see what sites she accesses
> and use the time slots so the Internet will only be available to her at
> certain times? Will I also be able to choose when she can use her computer by
> setting up the Parental Controls from my computer? Any help will be much
> appreciated. Thanks.

No. The Vista Parental Controls only work on Vista on the local
computer. You would need to purchase some sort of third-party parental
control software for the XP machine.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Dana Cline - MVP

Re: 2 PC Home Network (1 Vista PC and 1 Windows XP PC)
Your router may offer some form of Parental Controls - I know mine can let
me limit time on a per-PC basis, and I can create blacklists of unacceptable
web sites.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Nicola" <Nicola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new PC that has the Windows Vista Home Premium version. My
> daughter's having my old PC at Christmas, which runs Windows XP. I want to
> set up a Wireless Home Network and was wondering if the Vista Parental
> Controls will still be compatible with a Windows XP PC on the network, for
> example: will I be able to look at log files to see what sites she
> accesses
> and use the time slots so the Internet will only be available to her at
> certain times? Will I also be able to choose when she can use her computer
> by
> setting up the Parental Controls from my computer? Any help will be much
> appreciated. Thanks.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: 2 PC Home Network (1 Vista PC and 1 Windows XP PC)
Hello Nicola,

You might want to try the Windows Live Family Saftey Settings. For more
information, please see: http://get.live.com/betas/familysafety_betas

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)