Network & Interent Connection

Buster

Network & Interent Connection
Hi All,
We have a new computer with Vista along with an ADSL2 modum
which is connected via network USB.
The problem we are having is that the computer starts quickly (there are
minimum startup items) but the network is very slow to connect and then the
internet connection starts a long time later.
You get the 2 crossed network screens, eventually and then some time later
the little world comes up and the internet is connected. The internet speed
is amazingly quick as we must be very near an exchange. The period of
waiting is measured in mins not seconds!
Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Buster
Chuck

Re: Network & Interent Connection
On Tue, 1 May 2007 07:01:00 -0700, Buster <Buster@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>We have a new computer with Vista along with an ADSL2 modum
>which is connected via network USB.
>The problem we are having is that the computer starts quickly (there are
>minimum startup items) but the network is very slow to connect and then the
>internet connection starts a long time later.
>You get the 2 crossed network screens, eventually and then some time later
>the little world comes up and the internet is connected. The internet speed
>is amazingly quick as we must be very near an exchange. The period of
>waiting is measured in mins not seconds!
>Can anyone help please?
>Thanks
>Buster

Buster,

I'll bet the problem starts with your ISP. If the problem is just observed when
you're starting (do web sites load quickly once you're connected?), I'll bet
your ISP's servers - either DNS or authentication (what Internet service do you
have - static, dynamic, or PPPoE?) - are slow in responding.

Have you asked your ISP (Optus?) about the problem? Have you had a previous
computer connected to this service, or is this the first?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Buster

Re: Network & Interent Connection
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the response.
The problem actually starts with the network which is very slow to load,
like mins not secs. I don't know if that has anything to do with the slow
internet connection or not.
Web sites load with lightning speed ADSL2, mush quicker than my own computer
with cable.

I think I have a dynamic service but how do I find that out for sure?

The ISP is ????? and this is the first computer at this house. It's the
mother-in-law who's a little old lady who just wants some contact with the
outside world and I'm trying to help her but I only get there at the
weekends.

I'll have a look at the links thanks too.

Thanks
Paul
Buster

Network & Interent Connection
Thanks for that Chuck.
I'll look at that at the weekend. BTW, are you the "Chuck" in "Pchuck's
Network"?
Cheers
Paul

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 1 May 2007 15:59:02 -0700, Buster <Buster@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi Chuck,
> >Thanks for the response.
> >The problem actually starts with the network which is very slow to load,
> >like mins not secs. I don't know if that has anything to do with the slow
> >internet connection or not.
> >Web sites load with lightning speed ADSL2, mush quicker than my own computer
> >with cable.
> >
> >I think I have a dynamic service but how do I find that out for sure?
> >
> >The ISP is ????? and this is the first computer at this house. It's the
> >mother-in-law who's a little old lady who just wants some contact with the
> >outside world and I'm trying to help her but I only get there at the
> >weekends.
> >
> >I'll have a look at the links thanks too.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Paul

> Paul,
>
> If your computer connects directly to a modem, running "ipconfig /all" will show
> you a PPPoE service, if that's what you have.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...iagnosing.html
>
> What you're describing reminds me of my dialup service, that I had long ago.
> When the authentication servers are overloaded, starting up will take a long
> time. After you get past authentication, though, actual surfing should be
> painless, also as you are describing.
>
> Do "ipconfig /all" while you are waiting for the connection to start up, and
> again after you connect. And let's compare the two.
>
> Good luck with the mother in law. I try to support my mothers computer, who
> lives on the other side of this country from me, and only can get dialup.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Buster

Re: Network & Interent Connection
Well I never, good one mate!

wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 May 2007 15:59:02 -0700, Buster <Buster@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Chuck,
>> >Thanks for the response.
>> >The problem actually starts with the network which is very slow to load,
>> >like mins not secs. I don't know if that has anything to do with the slow
>> >internet connection or not.
>> >Web sites load with lightning speed ADSL2, mush quicker than my own computer
>> >with cable.
>> >
>> >I think I have a dynamic service but how do I find that out for sure?
>> >
>> >The ISP is ????? and this is the first computer at this house. It's the
>> >mother-in-law who's a little old lady who just wants some contact with the
>> >outside world and I'm trying to help her but I only get there at the
>> >weekends.
>> >
>> >I'll have a look at the links thanks too.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >Paul

>> Paul,
>>
>> If your computer connects directly to a modem, running "ipconfig /all" will show
>> you a PPPoE service, if that's what you have.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...iagnosing.html
>>
>> What you're describing reminds me of my dialup service, that I had long ago.
>> When the authentication servers are overloaded, starting up will take a long
>> time. After you get past authentication, though, actual surfing should be
>> painless, also as you are describing.
>>
>> Do "ipconfig /all" while you are waiting for the connection to start up, and
>> again after you connect. And let's compare the two.
>>
>> Good luck with the mother in law. I try to support my mothers computer, who
>> lives on the other side of this country from me, and only can get dialup.

>Thanks for that Chuck.
>I'll look at that at the weekend. BTW, are you the "Chuck" in "Pchuck's
>Network"?
>Cheers
>Paul

That's me. It's easier to instruct, and troubleshoot, using my blog when I can
add material as I see the need. Which is how PChuck's Network got started, and
why I host my website on Blogger.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Buster

Re: Network & Interent Connection
Hi Chuck,

Well I did my weekly visit and this is what I found:

Switched on the machine and it took a few mins to get the network started.
After it did, the internet was available and at speed. I did a detect and
repair and it said that there was a connectivity problem which could not be
correctly automatically, even after the network was connected and the
internet up.

I did an IPconfig /all and got the following:

IPConfig
Nod Type.........................Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled............No
Win Proxy Enabled............No

Ethernet adaptor Local area connection
DHCP Enabled
Autoconfig enabled...........Yes
Link-local IPv6 address......fe80::6c7a:b9f4:41e0:1858%9(preferrre d)
IPv4 Address....................192.168.1.2 (Preferred)
Subnet mask....................255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained................06 May 2007 14:36:02
Lease Expires..................06 May 2007 15:36:01
Default gateway..............192.168.1.1
DHCP server...................192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID...................134224161
DNS servers...................192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip.........Enabled

Tunnel adaptor Local area connection* 6:
Connection-specific DNS suffix . :
Physical Address............00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP enabled................No
Autoconfig enabled.........Yes
Link-local IPv6 address....fe80::5efe:192.168.1.2%10(preferred)
DNS servers..................192.168.1.1
Netbios over Tcpip.........Disabled

I noticed that with Vista we now have a TCP/IP4 and 6. No idea what that's
about.

Anyway, hope that this gives you a bit more information to help sort the
problem out. Thanks & Cheers
Paul