Remote Desktop puzzle that is beyond me...

grindy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remote Desktop puzzle that is beyond me...
Hi,
I have 2 computers that both run Vista and I have used the laptop in the past to access the desktop via RDC. This past weekend, from one outside location, I tried to connect as in the past but couldn't.
The message from Vista said it couldn't connect. I checked all my firewall settings (including turning off the firewall within Trend Micro, and using Windows Firewall that is set to allow RDC).

Here's the wierd part. I can connect sucessfully from one wireless network (not mine, a neighbors) every time, but when I try to connect from another wireless network (a different neighbor) I cannot connect. I can repeat this every time.

Nothing has changed on my laptop or my desktop. I connect sucessfully from one external wireless but not from the other. How can this be?

Please tell me what I'm missing...

Thanks for any input,
bob
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Remote Desktop puzzle that is beyond me...
That one doesn't work may have filter to clock port 3389. Can you telnet
port 3389 when you connect the wireless doesn't work?

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"grindy" <grindy.3wpwk4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I have 2 computers that both run Vista and I have used the laptop in
> the past to access the desktop via RDC. This past weekend, from one
> outside location, I tried to connect as in the past but couldn't.
> The message from Vista said it couldn't connect. I checked all my
> firewall settings (including turning off the firewall within Trend
> Micro, and using Windows Firewall that is set to allow RDC).
>
> Here's the wierd part. I can connect sucessfully from one wireless
> network (not mine, a neighbors) every time, but when I try to connect
> from another wireless network (a different neighbor) I cannot connect. I
> can repeat this every time.
>
> Nothing has changed on my laptop or my desktop. I connect sucessfully
> from one external wireless but not from the other. How can this be?
>
> Please tell me what I'm missing...
>
> Thanks for any input,
> bob
>

> --
> grindy

grindy is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Remote Desktop puzzle that is beyond me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) View Post
That one doesn't work may have filter to clock port 3389. Can you telnet
port 3389 when you connect the wireless doesn't work?

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, VPN, TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"grindy" <grindy.3wpwk4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I have 2 computers that both run Vista and I have used the laptop in
> the past to access the desktop via RDC. This past weekend, from one
> outside location, I tried to connect as in the past but couldn't.
> The message from Vista said it couldn't connect. I checked all my
> firewall settings (including turning off the firewall within Trend
> Micro, and using Windows Firewall that is set to allow RDC).
>
> Here's the wierd part. I can connect sucessfully from one wireless
> network (not mine, a neighbors) every time, but when I try to connect
> from another wireless network (a different neighbor) I cannot connect. I
> can repeat this every time.
>
> Nothing has changed on my laptop or my desktop. I connect sucessfully
> from one external wireless but not from the other. How can this be?
>
> Please tell me what I'm missing...
>
> Thanks for any input,
> bob
>

> --
> grindy

Thx for responding, Bob.

Well, then if that were the case, then using RDC from outside the LAN would require every wifi connection (Starbucks, etc) to be configured for RDC and I don't think that's the case... is it?

Bob R