Can't ping XP (even IP) but XP can ping Vista x64

glaurens

Can't ping XP (even IP) but XP can ping Vista x64

Hi,

I'm completely lost now.

My network is standard DHCP 192.168.1.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 using a
router.

I'm running vista ultimate x64 and home premium x64 alongside XP pro 32
bit.

The 2 vista PCs can ping each other by name and ip address but can't
ping xp by name or ip. XP can ping itself and the 2 Vista PCs by name
and IP.

I've tried with both the Vista and XP firewalls disabled and enabled
with the required ICMP exceptions in different combination, e.g. both
of, xp off-Vista on, Vista off-XP on, both on.

This used to work but stopped in about the last 5-7 days or so. My mobo
on ultimate popped and then I swapped two vista name (about 2 weeks
ago).

Does anybody have any ideas?

Tx

George

--
glaurens
glaurens's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/120192.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't ping XP (even IP) but XP can ping Vista x64
It could be 3rd party software. For troubleshooting, try clean boot.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone · How to setup and use Wake
on LAN ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"glaurens" <glaurens.3w7g7c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I'm completely lost now.
>
> My network is standard DHCP 192.168.1.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 using a
> router.
>
> I'm running vista ultimate x64 and home premium x64 alongside XP pro 32
> bit.
>
> The 2 vista PCs can ping each other by name and ip address but can't
> ping xp by name or ip. XP can ping itself and the 2 Vista PCs by name
> and IP.
>
> I've tried with both the Vista and XP firewalls disabled and enabled
> with the required ICMP exceptions in different combination, e.g. both
> of, xp off-Vista on, Vista off-XP on, both on.
>
> This used to work but stopped in about the last 5-7 days or so. My mobo
> on ultimate popped and then I swapped two vista name (about 2 weeks
> ago).
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Tx
>
> George
>

> --
> glaurens
> glaurens's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/120192.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1224366.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Can't ping XP (even IP) but XP can ping Vista x64
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 01:02:52 +0530, glaurens
<glaurens.3w7g7c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm completely lost now.
>
>My network is standard DHCP 192.168.1.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 using a
>router.
>
>I'm running vista ultimate x64 and home premium x64 alongside XP pro 32
>bit.
>
>The 2 vista PCs can ping each other by name and ip address but can't
>ping xp by name or ip. XP can ping itself and the 2 Vista PCs by name
>and IP.
>
>I've tried with both the Vista and XP firewalls disabled and enabled
>with the required ICMP exceptions in different combination, e.g. both
>of, xp off-Vista on, Vista off-XP on, both on.
>
>This used to work but stopped in about the last 5-7 days or so. My mobo
>on ultimate popped and then I swapped two vista name (about 2 weeks
>ago).
>
>Does anybody have any ideas?
>
>Tx
>
>George

Is there another firewall on the XP computer? Some antivirus programs
include a firewall component.

What does Windows Security Center say about firewalls?
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
glaurens

Re: Can't ping XP (even IP) but XP can ping Vista x64

Thanks all, I've managed to resolve it.

It was a Cisco VPN service that for some reason requires me to stop it
now before I can connect to my own network. Still don't know why it only
happened in the past week or so since the client was installed 11 months
ago.

glaurens
glaurens's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/120192.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1224368.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Can't ping XP (even IP) but XP can ping Vista x64
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 15:21:37 +0530, glaurens
<glaurens.3w8j3a@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Thanks all, I've managed to resolve it.
>
>It was a Cisco VPN service that for some reason requires me to stop it
>now before I can connect to my own network. Still don't know why it only
>happened in the past week or so since the client was installed 11 months
>ago.

Ah, yes, the Cisco VPN client software is notorious for causing LAN
problems. Thanks for letting us know the answer.