Cannot Enable Media Sharing

Todd

Cannot Enable Media Sharing
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I jump through the normal hoops,
but after I enable sharing and set all the settings, it shows that media
sharing is disabled. I found that "Windows Media Player Network Sharing
Service" is not running. WHen I start it, it starts and stopps immediately,
and the folowing event is logged in the System log:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service
Date: 4/30/2007 1:16:06 AM
Event ID: 14332
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because
CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x8002801d'.
Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component
of Windows is installed properly.

After enabling Media Sharing, if I open Media Player and select LIBRARY->
MEDIA SHARING, it displays a dialog box saying "Media sharing is currently
disabled, either because the sharing service is not running or your firewall
settings have changed. To restart sharing, you must first confirm your
sharing settings."

I have enabled all WMP sharing-related firewall rules, and when
investigating the service, I found what I explained above.

PLEASE HELP!
Gareth

RE: Cannot Enable Media Sharing
Fantastic!

WIthout realising it Todd, you've solved my problem. I was getting the same
error message about media sharing being disabled, but couldn't identify the
service. You've pointed it out below. I couldn't get it to start tough,
until I had started the two dependancy services. The trick was that "SSDP
Discovery" was disabled. Once I'd enabled that, it and the uPnP Device Host
service both started. Now when I enable network discovery, I get 'on' not
'custom'

Thanks again!!
"Todd" wrote:

> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I jump through the normal hoops,
> but after I enable sharing and set all the settings, it shows that media
> sharing is disabled. I found that "Windows Media Player Network Sharing
> Service" is not running. WHen I start it, it starts and stopps immediately,
> and the folowing event is logged in the System log:
>
> Log Name: System
> Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service
> Date: 4/30/2007 1:16:06 AM
> Event ID: 14332
> Task Category: None
> Level: Error
> Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because
> CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x8002801d'.
> Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component
> of Windows is installed properly.
>

> After enabling Media Sharing, if I open Media Player and select LIBRARY->
> MEDIA SHARING, it displays a dialog box saying "Media sharing is currently
> disabled, either because the sharing service is not running or your firewall
> settings have changed. To restart sharing, you must first confirm your
> sharing settings."
>
> I have enabled all WMP sharing-related firewall rules, and when
> investigating the service, I found what I explained above.
>
> PLEASE HELP!

James Scheuerman

Stupid vista...
I'm having the same exact problem, but all the service mentioned here are turned to automatic,AND started. I have no effen clue...
JW

Re: Stupid vista...
Stupid post you made since it is a new thread and contains absolutely no
description of the problem you are referring to.
"James Scheuerman" wrote in message news:200849222326hate_bg@hotmail.com...
> I'm having the same exact problem, but all the service mentioned here are
> turned to automatic,AND started. I have no effen clue...

Bob

Re: Stupid vista...
"James Scheuerman" wrote in message news:200849222326hate_bg@hotmail.com...
> I'm having the same exact problem, but all the service mentioned here are
> turned to automatic,AND started.

>I have no effen clue...

So true.