Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer

Nash_deVille

Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
Problem:
1) Extremely slow shared printer response
2) application nonresponsive while printing

Network Topography:
1 Vista Home Premium 32 PC
1 Vista Home Premium 64 PC
Cisco SD2008 Switch
1 HP 4050 Laserjet (Parallel connected to Vista 32 Machine above)

Configuration of Printer:
Connected via parallel to Vista 32 machine
Printer is configured for sharing and is installed on both machines
test pages print successfully from both machines

Additional notes:
During printer setup on the Vista 32 machine, I attempted to install
additional 64x drivers, but could not locate them, so I skipped this step.

During printer setup on the Vista 64 machine, the shared printers were
identified successfully, and I added the network printer. I was not asked to
install drivers the way I have in the past when adding a local printer.

Printing using the shared printer on the local machine Vista 32 performs
with normal speeds. Printing from the network computer Vista 64 using the
shared printer installed on Vista 32 is extremely slow. Even typing in print
job changes in the print dialog window takes 30 seconds or so for each key
stroke to register a response onscreen.

PLEASE ADVISE HOW TO SET UP SHARED PRINTER SO IT PRINTS WITH SPEEDS MORE
LIKE A LOCAL PRINTER WOULD DELIVER.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
Hi
The Printer's drivers are probably available native to Windows and it
installed without asking.
Could be that the Network transfer is very slow. Set on the File Sharing and
measure the speed of local transfer on the Network.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Nash_deVille" <Nash_deVille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Problem:
> 1) Extremely slow shared printer response
> 2) application nonresponsive while printing
>
> Network Topography:
> 1 Vista Home Premium 32 PC
> 1 Vista Home Premium 64 PC
> Cisco SD2008 Switch
> 1 HP 4050 Laserjet (Parallel connected to Vista 32 Machine above)
>
> Configuration of Printer:
> Connected via parallel to Vista 32 machine
> Printer is configured for sharing and is installed on both machines
> test pages print successfully from both machines
>
> Additional notes:
> During printer setup on the Vista 32 machine, I attempted to install
> additional 64x drivers, but could not locate them, so I skipped this step.
>
> During printer setup on the Vista 64 machine, the shared printers were
> identified successfully, and I added the network printer. I was not asked
> install drivers the way I have in the past when adding a local printer.
>
> Printing using the shared printer on the local machine Vista 32 performs
> with normal speeds. Printing from the network computer Vista 64 using the
> shared printer installed on Vista 32 is extremely slow. Even typing in
> print
> job changes in the print dialog window takes 30 seconds or so for each key
> stroke to register a response onscreen.
>

> PLEASE ADVISE HOW TO SET UP SHARED PRINTER SO IT PRINTS WITH SPEEDS MORE
> LIKE A LOCAL PRINTER WOULD DELIVER.

Nash_deVille

Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
Hello Jack,

Thank you for trying to help solve this problem.

1. Verified both computers are on the same workgroup.
2. Verified printer sharing "on" in the Network & Sharing Manager
3. Verified both computers' firewall settings are set to allow sharing in
the local network, which is set as a trusted zone.
4. I did not measure the transfer rate except to look at the statistics in
the performance monitor while printing. Printing related commands input on
Vista 64 take forever to result in CPU, Memory, or Disk activity on Vista 32.
However, ordinary file access (for example, clicking onto the other
computer's shared files and folders) is lightening fast, with no noticable
difference from direct local file access.
5. The problem remains.

I look forward to additional insight. Has anyone seen this problem and
solved it?

Nash deVille
*************************************

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> The Printer's drivers are probably available native to Windows and it
> installed without asking.
> Could be that the Network transfer is very slow. Set on the File Sharing and
> measure the speed of local transfer on the Network.
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Nash_deVille" <Nash_deVille@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Problem:
> > 1) Extremely slow shared printer response
> > 2) application nonresponsive while printing
> >
> > Network Topography:
> > 1 Vista Home Premium 32 PC
> > 1 Vista Home Premium 64 PC
> > Cisco SD2008 Switch
> > 1 HP 4050 Laserjet (Parallel connected to Vista 32 Machine above)
> >
> > Configuration of Printer:
> > Connected via parallel to Vista 32 machine
> > Printer is configured for sharing and is installed on both machines
> > test pages print successfully from both machines
> >
> > Additional notes:
> > During printer setup on the Vista 32 machine, I attempted to install
> > additional 64x drivers, but could not locate them, so I skipped this step.
> >
> > During printer setup on the Vista 64 machine, the shared printers were
> > identified successfully, and I added the network printer. I was not asked
> > install drivers the way I have in the past when adding a local printer.
> >
> > Printing using the shared printer on the local machine Vista 32 performs
> > with normal speeds. Printing from the network computer Vista 64 using the
> > shared printer installed on Vista 32 is extremely slow. Even typing in
> > print
> > job changes in the print dialog window takes 30 seconds or so for each key
> > stroke to register a response onscreen.
> >

> > PLEASE ADVISE HOW TO SET UP SHARED PRINTER SO IT PRINTS WITH SPEEDS MORE
> > LIKE A LOCAL PRINTER WOULD DELIVER.

Bill Kearney

Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
As is usually suggested, it might be helpful to see an "ipconfig /all" for
both the 32 and a 64 machine.

> 4. I did not measure the transfer rate except to look at the statistics in
> the performance monitor while printing. Printing related commands input
> on
> Vista 64 take forever to result in CPU, Memory, or Disk activity on Vista
> 32.

Are there any warnings or errors shown in the Event Log (on either machine)?

Also, try pausing the printer on the 32 machine. Then try printing to it
from the 64 machines. The job should spool up, see if that remains as slow.

> However, ordinary file access (for example, clicking onto the other
> computer's shared files and folders) is lightening fast, with no noticable
> difference from direct local file access.

Test transferring large files to/from the 32/64 machines. Use large files
like video clips. Browsing through lists of files isn't the same as moving
lots of data across the wire.

That's a gigabit switch, correct? What brand/model network interfaces are
in the 64 bit machines?

Try locking the wire speed (in the NIC properties) on both sides to 100mb
half-duplex instead of gigE. See if that makes any difference. It's
possible there's a port speed issue. Since it's not a managed switch you
can't look within it to see if there are port errors. You could use the
command "netstat -e" on the PCs to see if they're encountering ethernet
errors. There's the possibility that you're having network problems,
possibly the wire itself. Stepping back to slower speeds (and matching it
on both ends) can help test for that.

-Bill Kearney

Nash_deVille

Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
I ended up calling MSFT Technical Support, who claim the drivers are the
culprits. I am skeptical of their diagnosis.
beerman1373

Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer

I got your fix!!! Delete your printer and
go the the configuration screen on your computer; printers; add a new
printer and then:
1. chose: ''add a local printer;
2. chose: 'new port'
3. chose 'localport'
4. type path to the networkprinter e.g. : \\someXPcomputer\HP6500
5. print to this printer
Worked like a champ!!!!

--
beerman1373
Nash_deVille

Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
Thanks for your post. I tried your fix, and I have a question.
When it asks for the name of the port, is any name okay or do you need to
enter the path as the name? If the path is the needed name, then how do I
determine the name of the printer?

When I enter a name, the next step presents the select driver dialog, or
presents a display of the installed printers to select from. What about that
part?

Maybe if you could be exactly precise step by step I will be able to follow
this fix. I am up for trying. I look forward to your reply.

"beerman1373" wrote:

> I got your fix!!! Delete your printer and
> go the the configuration screen on your computer; printers; add a new
> printer and then:
> 1. chose: ''add a local printer;
> 2. chose: 'new port'
> 3. chose 'localport'
> 4. type path to the networkprinter e.g. : \\someXPcomputer\HP6500
> 5. print to this printer
> Worked like a champ!!!!
>

> --
> beerman1373

prosperousbr is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
Nice suggestion!! It worked fine for me!

Thank you so much!

Adriano

DSLROCKS is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman1373 View Post
I got your fix!!! Delete your printer and
go the the configuration screen on your computer; printers; add a new
printer and then:
1. chose: ''add a local printer;
2. chose: 'new port'
3. chose 'localport'
4. type path to the networkprinter e.g. : \\someXPcomputer\HP6500
5. print to this printer
Worked like a champ!!!!

--
beerman1373
WORKED!!! Who would have thought to set it up that way.

Thanks again beerman

Last edited by DSLROCKS : 09-21-2009 at 00:20.

SoCalRich is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Slow Shared Printer - Extrememly Slow Shared Printer
I get "Access Denied" when I try this. Printer is shared as I can make it. Any suggestions?