Re: Local Only network

John Redmund

Re: Local Only network
I think I might have a solution to your problem

One of my computer's internet connection went down and took the whole
network with it. Gotta love Microsoft. Anyway, I was able to get my XP
computers to reconnect and share the internet, but I was unable to get my XP
computers to map network drives with my Vista computer. Nor could my Vista
computer see my home network.

I found a solution

I went to the Network and Sharing Center in the Control panel and clicked on
Customize the network. I made sure the name of the network was the same as
my home network, and then I changed the network from Public to Private. I
restarted the computer and was able to connect to the computers as before.

Also, (and now I have Mcafee as a firewall)...I made sure that all the
computers had 192.168.2.0 to 192.168.2.255 a TRUSTED (as opposed to PUBLIC)
network.

Hope this helps. and one thing I have learned about Vista:

Vista does NOT play well with others.

John

"tshad" <tfs@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> I really don't like Vista and have had nothing but trouble getting it
> connected.
>
> I tried connecting it wirelessly to my AirPort wireless and it would
> connect and could see everything on the network including the gateway, but
> would go no further.
>
> I then tried a wired connection using all the same numbers (except the
> last one) that I have on my other desktops at home (3 XPs and 1 2000).
> Again, it sees the local network fine but will not go out the gateway.
> Cannot ping the DNS servers. I know it isn't the wire. I plug it
> directly back in my computer and it works fine.
>
> The route print looks fine (except for all the On-links under the
> Gateway).
>
> I tried uninstalling the Norton Internet Security to see if that was a
> problem and making sure the Microsoft Firewall was off.
>
> Still can't get out of the local network.
>
> I never had this kind of problem with my XPs.
>
> Not sure where to go from here.
>
> Tom

tshad

Re: Local Only network

"John Redmund" <jredmund1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I think I might have a solution to your problem
>
> One of my computer's internet connection went down and took the whole
> network with it. Gotta love Microsoft. Anyway, I was able to get my XP
> computers to reconnect and share the internet, but I was unable to get my
> XP computers to map network drives with my Vista computer. Nor could my
> Vista computer see my home network.
>
> I found a solution
>
> I went to the Network and Sharing Center in the Control panel and clicked
> on Customize the network. I made sure the name of the network was the
> same as my home network, and then I changed the network from Public to
> Private. I restarted the computer and was able to connect to the
> computers as before.

Would this be the same for the wireless connection - which is what I am
having a problem with?

Would I use as the name of the network - the one on the wireless AP - which
is the Apple Airport wireless?

> Also, (and now I have Mcafee as a firewall)...I made sure that all the
> computers had 192.168.2.0 to 192.168.2.255 a TRUSTED (as opposed to
> PUBLIC) network.

Why would you have to change it to 255? Mine is set to 71 (which it gets
from DHCP). I don't know if where I would change it to TRUSTED.

Thanks,

Tom