non-wireless home LAN

tomatocity

non-wireless home LAN

I have a Vista Home Premium 32bit Desktop and just purchased a Vista
Home Preium 64bit Laptop and I would like to create a non-wireless (yes
I know, but I am not ready for a wireless network at this time) home
local area network. When I search my Laptop I don't find how to connect
the two computers using a cable. Also, I have AT&T DSL for internet
access.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

--
tomatocity
whs

Re: non-wireless home LAN

tomatocity;1083630 Wrote:
> I have a Vista Home Premium 32bit Desktop and just purchased a Vista
> Home Preium 64bit Laptop and I would like to create a non-wireless (yes
> I know, but I am not ready for a wireless network at this time) home
> local area network. When I search my Laptop I don't find how to connect
> the two computers using a cable. Also, I have AT&T DSL for internet
> access.
>
> Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

The easiest would be to buy an ethernet switch like this one (
'Dynex® - 4-Port 10 Mbps Ethernet Hub - DX-EHB4'
(http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1102664 57493)
). With that you can connect up to 4 systems for little money with
ethernet cables (max. lenght is 100 meters). I have the same setup in my
vacation home. It works a lot better than a wireless network. Those
switches come in various levels of sophistication, but anything in the
$15 to $25 range should do.

--
whs

jtvista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: non-wireless home LAN
If you want both computers to connect to the internet, you really want a router, not a hub. I would advise getting a wireless router, even if you don't use the wireless part of it right now. Most (all?) wireless routers allow you to connect four computers to them via an ethernet connection and they can be had pretty cheaply, especially online. I have AT&T DSL and use a D-Link wireless router and couldn't be happier with the setup.

Just my 2 cents.
-JT
truthkid

Re: non-wireless home LAN

whs;1083640 Wrote:
> > tomatocity;1083630 Wrote:
> > I have a Vista Home Premium 32bit Desktop and just purchased a Vista
> > Home Preium 64bit Laptop and I would like to create a non-wireless (yes
> > I know, but I am not ready for a wireless network at this time) home
> > local area network. When I search my Laptop I don't find how to connect
> > the two computers using a cable. Also, I have AT&T DSL for internet
> > access.
> >
> > Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.> >

> The easiest would be to buy an ethernet switch like this one (
> 'Dynex« - 4-Port 10 Mbps Ethernet Hub - DX-EHB4'
> (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1102664 57493)
> ). With that you can connect up to 4 systems for little money with
> ethernet cables (max. lenght is 100 meters). I have the same setup in
> my vacation home. It works a lot better than a wireless network. Those
> switches come in various levels of sophistication, but anything in the
> $15 to $25 range should do.

Generally unless you are performing some sort of packet monitoring, you
wouldn't want a hub as it is limited to the physical layer and is going
to retransmit the signal from the uplink port to all the ports on the
hub. You would want a layer 2 switch if the modem can act as a
router/perform NAT

--
truthkid
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: non-wireless home LAN
"tomatocity" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Vista Home Premium 32bit Desktop and just purchased a Vista
> Home Preium 64bit Laptop and I would like to create a non-wireless (yes
> I know, but I am not ready for a wireless network at this time) home
> local area network. When I search my Laptop I don't find how to connect
> the two computers using a cable. Also, I have AT&T DSL for internet
> access.
>
> Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.
>

> --
> tomatocity

Laptop external ports are usually found on the back panel (same part as the
power cable is inserted). One of them should be labeled 'ETHERNET'..

Re connecting to the Internet:

If you have a DSL modem which is USB only

Connect the laptop to the desktop using a CROSSOVER patch cable. This will
connect to the ETHERNET ports of both desktop and laptop

OR

Call your ISP and ask if they can supply a modem/router or wireless modem

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

tomatocity

Re: non-wireless home LAN

Mike Hall - MVP;1083775 Wrote:
> "tomatocity" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:c12c4b2107f3c2f1253496c6bf91b5f9@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > I have a Vista Home Premium 32bit Desktop and just purchased a Vista
> > > Home Preium 64bit Laptop and I would like to create a non-wireless

> > (yes
> > > I know, but I am not ready for a wireless network at this time) home
> > > local area network. When I search my Laptop I don't find how to

> > connect
> > > the two computers using a cable. Also, I have AT&T DSL for internet
> > > access.
> > >
> > > Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.
> > >

> > > --
> > > tomatocity > >

> Laptop external ports are usually found on the back panel (same part
> as the
> power cable is inserted). One of them should be labeled 'ETHERNET'..
>
> Re connecting to the Internet:
>
> If you have a DSL modem which is USB only
>
> Connect the laptop to the desktop using a CROSSOVER patch cable. This
> will
> connect to the ETHERNET ports of both desktop and laptop
>
> OR
>
> Call your ISP and ask if they can supply a modem/router or wireless
> modem
>
> --
>
> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
> 'Mike's Window - MSMVPS.COM' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/)

My DSL Modem is RJ45 jacks and no USB jacks. Thanks for reminding me
about the Crossover cable to connect the computers. Now I need to find a
way to connect DSL modem to the Desktop computer.

What I want to share between the Laptop and Desktop computrers are
files, common calendar, printers, photos, etc.

--
tomatocity

> Mike Hall - MVP;1083775 Wrote:
>> "tomatocity" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:c12c4b2107f3c2f1253496c6bf91b5f9@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > (yes
>> > connect

>> Laptop external ports are usually found on the back panel (same part
>> as the
>> power cable is inserted). One of them should be labeled 'ETHERNET'..
>>
>> Re connecting to the Internet:
>>
>> If you have a DSL modem which is USB only
>>
>> Connect the laptop to the desktop using a CROSSOVER patch cable. This
>> will
>> connect to the ETHERNET ports of both desktop and laptop
>>
>> OR
>>
>> Call your ISP and ask if they can supply a modem/router or wireless
>> modem
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
>> 'Mike's Window - MSMVPS.COM' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/)

> My DSL Modem is RJ45 jacks and no USB jacks. Thanks for reminding me
> about the Crossover cable to connect the computers. Now I need to find a
> way to connect DSL modem to the Desktop computer.
>
> What I want to share between the Laptop and Desktop computrers are
> files, common calendar, printers, photos, etc.
>

> --
> tomatocity

If you don't buy a router, be it wireless or not, you will have buy another
network card for the desktop, connect the laptop to it and set up Internet
Connection Sharing.

For simplicity, it is easier to buy and set up a wireless router..

Mike Hall - MVP;1083919 Wrote:
> "tomatocity" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:b3b436bff67a0e43626fe41b959d42df@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

> > > part
> > > 'ETHERNET'..

> > > This

> > > (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/))> > > >
> > >
> > > My DSL Modem is RJ45 jacks and no USB jacks. Thanks for reminding

> > me
> > > about the Crossover cable to connect the computers. Now I need to

> > find a
> > > way to connect DSL modem to the Desktop computer.
> > >
> > > What I want to share between the Laptop and Desktop computrers

> > are
> > > files, common calendar, printers, photos, etc.
> > >

> > > --
> > > tomatocity > >

> If you don't buy a router, be it wireless or not, you will have buy
> another
> network card for the desktop, connect the laptop to it and set up
> Internet
> Connection Sharing.
>
> For simplicity, it is easier to buy and set up a wireless router..
>
> --
>
> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
> 'Mike's Window - MSMVPS.COM' (http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/)

+1
If your modem cannot act as a router, your best bet is to buy a
wireless router. You can leave the wireless turned off if you'd rather
not use it, but if you feel inclined to take the internet around the
house with you on your laptop you can easily turn it on.

--
truthkid