Desktop can't see laptop, Laptop can see Desktop (home premium network issues)
Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot a frustrating network
issue I'm having?
I have a setup with a desktop that goes straight into a router (then
out to a DSL modem) via ethernet cable -- and a laptop that connects to
the router wirelessly.
Both computers have working internet. Everything seems to be working
from the laptop to the desktop--I can browse files on the desktop and
"see" the desktop's icon/machine name in the network panel from the
From the desktop all I can see of the laptop is is a instance of a
media player device--and even that comes and goes. I can't see the
laptop's hard drives or shared folders nor a printer I want to connect
From the desktop, I can ping the laptop and get a response back which
my router company's (Zyxel) technical support says means the router is
On both machines, I have network discovery, file sharing, public folder
sharing, printer sharing, and media sharing "On". Both machines are in
the same workgroup. What might I be missing?
Suggestions appreciated, thanks...
- antec nine hundred case
- thermaltake w0106ru 700w power supply
- western digital caviar se16 wd3200aaks 320gb 7200 rpm sata hd
- gigabyte ga-ma69gm-s2h am2 amd 690g hdmi micro atx amd motherboard
- amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ brisbane 2.1ghz socket am2 65w processor
- ocz platinum revision 2 2gb (2 x 1gb) 240-pin ddr2 sdram ddr2 800
(pc2 6400) dual channel kit desktop memory
- lite-on sohw-1673s06c dvd-rw