computers cannot see each other

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FmZmVpbmVqdW5raWU0Mg==?=

computers cannot see each other
i have a machine running windows 2000 professional, and my new machine runs
vista...both are connected to my ethernet router, both connect to the
internet just fine, what do i need to do to get them to "see" each other for
file sharing, etc?
Kartik

Re: computers cannot see each other
I think u have a similar problem as mine, I jus posted a request for that,
check is the two services "Server" and "Computer Browser" are running/set to
automatic

"caffeinejunkie42" <caffeinejunkie42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4712B9EB-DA5D-4162-8AC7-5EA05EDD6FBC@microsoft.com...
>i have a machine running windows 2000 professional, and my new machine runs
> vista...both are connected to my ethernet router, both connect to the
> internet just fine, what do i need to do to get them to "see" each other
> for
> file sharing, etc?

=?Utf-8?B?TGluZGFBbm4=?=

RE: computers cannot see each other
What Internet software are your running? If you have Nortons Internet
Security, (which seems to be chucked onto new pc as standard over here in UK)
open up nortons control center, click on the intrusion prevention, settings,
and then trusted. In here enter all of the ip's of the computers on your
network. (i'm going off the top of my head here, I haven't open Nortons to
check exact words, so if it says change settings, instead of settings, well
you get the picture!) It appears that even though when it sets itself up or
even if you manualy set up the ip range for you home network, the intrusion
prevention screws it up. I've emailed nortons about this, they were un aware
of it, and are now in the process of sorting it out!

If it isn't Nortons that you have post back what you are using and someone
may be able to tell you what settings you need to change.

90% of all of the network file sharing ect related problems on here turn out
to be firewall software.

Best wishes,
Linda

"caffeinejunkie42" wrote:

> i have a machine running windows 2000 professional, and my new machine runs
> vista...both are connected to my ethernet router, both connect to the
> internet just fine, what do i need to do to get them to "see" each other for
> file sharing, etc?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFydGluZQ==?=

RE: computers cannot see each other

Make sure both computers have the same 'workgroup' names,then you have to
set up file sharing on the files you want to share. Or run Network Magic
www.networkmagic.com, this helps you set up your network
"LindaAnn" wrote:

> What Internet software are your running? If you have Nortons Internet
> Security, (which seems to be chucked onto new pc as standard over here in UK)
> open up nortons control center, click on the intrusion prevention, settings,
> and then trusted. In here enter all of the ip's of the computers on your
> network. (i'm going off the top of my head here, I haven't open Nortons to
> check exact words, so if it says change settings, instead of settings, well
> you get the picture!) It appears that even though when it sets itself up or
> even if you manualy set up the ip range for you home network, the intrusion
> prevention screws it up. I've emailed nortons about this, they were un aware
> of it, and are now in the process of sorting it out!
>
> If it isn't Nortons that you have post back what you are using and someone
> may be able to tell you what settings you need to change.
>
> 90% of all of the network file sharing ect related problems on here turn out
> to be firewall software.
>
> Best wishes,
> Linda
>
> "caffeinejunkie42" wrote:
>
> > i have a machine running windows 2000 professional, and my new machine runs
> > vista...both are connected to my ethernet router, both connect to the
> > internet just fine, what do i need to do to get them to "see" each other for
> > file sharing, etc?

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FmZmVpbmVqdW5raWU0Mg==?=

RE: computers cannot see each other
Thank you all for the replies! I finally figured it out around 3am...Martine
was correct, I had to go into the Network ID settings on my old computer and
make sure it had the same workgroup name.

I appreciate everyone's help...I'm sure I'll be lurking around these forums
for awhile, seeing as how I completely skipped Windows XP, so there's
probably a lot of stuff I'll need to catch up on with Vista :-)

--Troy