Vista has problem with cable internet

=?Utf-8?B?U29uZw==?=

Vista has problem with cable internet
Hi, I just bought a HP laptop with vista home premium installed. I am using
cable internet and it works fine on my old computer with XP. Somehow it does
not work in vista. It shows only have limited access, which is it only access
to local network, not the internet. I tried to manually setup the connection,
but the in the "broadband" section, I need to input the username and password
for the ISP. As you know, I don't have these for cable internet. What should
I do? Thanks in advance.
Barb Bowman

Re: Vista has problem with cable internet
do you have a router? (You should..)

if not:

if you are plugged in directly to the cable modem, you will probably
need to power cycle the cable modem by unplugging the power cord and
plugging it back in.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Robert Moir

"Song" <Song@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I just bought a HP laptop with vista home premium installed. I am
> using
> cable internet and it works fine on my old computer with XP. Somehow it
> does
> not work in vista. It shows only have limited access, which is it only
> access
> to local network, not the internet. I tried to manually setup the
> connection,
> but the in the "broadband" section, I need to input the username and
> password
> for the ISP. As you know, I don't have these for cable internet. What
> should
> I do? Thanks in advance.

Well now... how do you connect to your cable internet modem? I plug into
mine via a network (aka ethernet) connection and it 'just works' fine. This
is an operating system independant thing, so it should always 'just work'
with just about anything that has a network port.

If you're connecting via USB to your cable internet modem then the question
is very simple... do you have the correct drivers for the USB cable modem?

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista has problem with cable internet
try shutting down the computer.
unplug the modem let it set for several minutes,
plug the modem back in and wait for the lights to show it is on line and active.
then turn the computer back on.

sometimes they get out of sync and vista cannot re-sync.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Song" <Song@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:524C67DA-B0DF-43AE-A69E-37EB20750503@microsoft.com...
Hi, I just bought a HP laptop with vista home premium installed. I am using
cable internet and it works fine on my old computer with XP. Somehow it does
not work in vista. It shows only have limited access, which is it only access
to local network, not the internet. I tried to manually setup the connection,
but the in the "broadband" section, I need to input the username and password
for the ISP. As you know, I don't have these for cable internet. What should
I do? Thanks in advance.
Jenna589

Re: Vista has problem with cable internet
You aren't alone in this. I have the same problem. It won't connect to the
internet without a user name and password. I tried to connect via the
ethernet cable and that didn't work and I tried to connect a wireless router
and was unable to do that too.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> try shutting down the computer.
> unplug the modem let it set for several minutes,
> plug the modem back in and wait for the lights to show it is on line and active.
> then turn the computer back on.
>
> sometimes they get out of sync and vista cannot re-sync.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "Song" <Song@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:524C67DA-B0DF-43AE-A69E-37EB20750503@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I just bought a HP laptop with vista home premium installed. I am using
> cable internet and it works fine on my old computer with XP. Somehow it does
> not work in vista. It shows only have limited access, which is it only access
> to local network, not the internet. I tried to manually setup the connection,
> but the in the "broadband" section, I need to input the username and password
> for the ISP. As you know, I don't have these for cable internet. What should
> I do? Thanks in advance

kcarter

RE: Vista has problem with cable internet
I use cable also. It only needs the username and password you already use to
access your ISP's Internet mail.