Windows Vista Business: Internet Connection Promblems

bwe654

Windows Vista Business: Internet Connection Promblems

I recently upgraded my Operating System from the preloaded Vista to
Vista Business. It did not give me the option to upgrade so I just
reinstalled since it was a new computer anyway. Now I can not connect
to the internet. I click "Diagnose Connection Problems" and then get a
message that reads "This computer does not have a network adapter
installed and configured"

I went to the Computer Management/Device Manager and under Other
devices I see a yellow ! next to a number of options.

1. !Base System Device
2. !Base System Device
3. !Base System Device
4. !Coprocessor
5. !Ethernet Controller
6. !Network Controller
7. !SM Bus Controller
8. !Unknown Device
9. !Unknown Device

I right click Network Controller and then click "Properties". It
reades "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

So I click Reinstall Driver...
I click Search Automatically and it reads "Windows was unable to
install your Network Controller.

Please Advise. Thanks for your help as I am new to this forum.

BWE

--
bwe654
bwe654's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/107622.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

Re: Windows Vista Business: Internet Connection Promblems
bwe654 wrote:

> I recently upgraded my Operating System from the preloaded Vista to
> Vista Business. It did not give me the option to upgrade so I just
> reinstalled since it was a new computer anyway. Now I can not connect
> to the internet. I click "Diagnose Connection Problems" and then get a
> message that reads "This computer does not have a network adapter
> installed and configured"
>
> I went to the Computer Management/Device Manager and under Other
> devices I see a yellow ! next to a number of options.
>
> 1. !Base System Device
> 2. !Base System Device
> 3. !Base System Device
> 4. !Coprocessor
> 5. !Ethernet Controller
> 6. !Network Controller
> 7. !SM Bus Controller
> 8. !Unknown Device
> 9. !Unknown Device
>
> I right click Network Controller and then click "Properties". It
> reades "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
>
> So I click Reinstall Driver...
> I click Search Automatically and it reads "Windows was unable to
> install your Network Controller.

You need to install drivers for your motherboard (chipset), ethernet
controller, and probably other drivers such as video, sound, etc.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

bwe654

Re: Windows Vista Business: Internet Connection Promblems

Thanks Malke. But I can not connect to the internet with my laptop (HP
Pavillion dv2500) so I can not go to the website to download. Please
advise.

BWE

bwe654 wrote:

> Thanks Malke. But I can not connect to the internet with my laptop (HP
> Pavillion dv2500) so I can not go to the website to download. Please
> advise.

Then obviously you have to go to HP's website from a different machine with
an Internet connection (the one you are currently posting from perhaps?)
and download the drivers. Save them to a USB thumb drive with enough
capacity or burn to CD-R and then copy to the laptop which needs them.

Malke