Unreliable Connection

Endulini

Unreliable Connection
Hi All,

My PC has difficulties consistently detecting my wireless network, sometimes
it's there and then sometimes it just disappears for a few days. It's
picking up all the surrounding networks ok so it doesn't seem to be an
inherent hardware fault and equally it doesn't seem to be the router as my
laptop gets the network ok (even when it's next to the PC, so it wouldn't
seem to be interference either). As it's an external USB adapter (Belkin)
set-up on the PC, I've tried reinstalling the adapter and drivers etc but
that is no guarantee of success either.

I'm getting a bit fed up, anyone have any suggestions about what the issue
might be?

Cheers,

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Unreliable Connection
Hi
It could be under performing, unstable Wireless Card.
I would try to install this.
PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
PCI cards usually do better in a Desktop environment.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My PC has difficulties consistently detecting my wireless network,
> sometimes it's there and then sometimes it just disappears for a few days.
> It's picking up all the surrounding networks ok so it doesn't seem to be
> an inherent hardware fault and equally it doesn't seem to be the router as
> my laptop gets the network ok (even when it's next to the PC, so it
> wouldn't seem to be interference either). As it's an external USB adapter
> (Belkin) set-up on the PC, I've tried reinstalling the adapter and drivers
> etc but that is no guarantee of success either.
>
> I'm getting a bit fed up, anyone have any suggestions about what the issue
> might be?
>
> Cheers,

Endulini

Re: Unreliable Connection

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> It could be under performing, unstable Wireless Card.
> I would try to install this.
> PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
> Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
> http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
> PCI cards usually do better in a Desktop environment.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My PC has difficulties consistently detecting my wireless network,
>> sometimes it's there and then sometimes it just disappears for a few
>> days. It's picking up all the surrounding networks ok so it doesn't seem
>> to be an inherent hardware fault and equally it doesn't seem to be the
>> router as my laptop gets the network ok (even when it's next to the PC,
>> so it wouldn't seem to be interference either). As it's an external USB
>> adapter (Belkin) set-up on the PC, I've tried reinstalling the adapter
>> and drivers etc but that is no guarantee of success either.
>>
>> I'm getting a bit fed up, anyone have any suggestions about what the
>> issue might be?
>>
>> Cheers,

Thanks, I don't want to quibble but a) it's not a card but an external USB
wireless adapter, b) Why is it detecting every other network other than mine
if it's not working properly?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Unreliable Connection
Hi
Network card is a generic term that covers all kind of them.
You can take a look at the Wireless preferred list and see if there is some
setting that discriminates against you SSID.
Otherwise, since it is detecting well other Wireless sources then it is Not
the computer or the OS either.
Thus there is a mismatch between your Wireless card (Card being USB in your
case ).
I do not know what you have for a Wireless Router, but usually the USB
Wireless are the weak link.
YMMV.

> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> It could be under performing, unstable Wireless Card.
>> I would try to install this.
>> PCI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
>> Driver/Utility for Windows 98SE/Me/2K/XP/XP 64/Vista/Vista 64
>> http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm
>> PCI cards usually do better in a Desktop environment.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> My PC has difficulties consistently detecting my wireless network,
>>> sometimes it's there and then sometimes it just disappears for a few
>>> days. It's picking up all the surrounding networks ok so it doesn't seem
>>> to be an inherent hardware fault and equally it doesn't seem to be the
>>> router as my laptop gets the network ok (even when it's next to the PC,
>>> so it wouldn't seem to be interference either). As it's an external USB
>>> adapter (Belkin) set-up on the PC, I've tried reinstalling the adapter
>>> and drivers etc but that is no guarantee of success either.
>>>
>>> I'm getting a bit fed up, anyone have any suggestions about what the
>>> issue might be?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

> Thanks, I don't want to quibble but a) it's not a card but an external USB
> wireless adapter, b) Why is it detecting every other network other than
> mine if it's not working properly?

Charlie Tame

Re: Unreliable Connection
Not sure about this but I read that some USB devices can reduce the
power available to other devices and also recall something about trying
different USB ports with only the one USB device plugged in. I realize
this might be harder to eliminate of you have USB mouse and / or
keyboard, but it might be worth a try unless you can eliminate some
other USB device for a test. Might even be worth just swapping the
device from a back port to front or vice versa, at least it would cost
nothing to try.