VPN from home router?

Victek

VPN from home router?
Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote location
(e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC being ON? TIA

Gordon

Re: VPN from home router?

"Victek" <victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote location
> (e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC being ON? TIA

Now why would you want to connect just to the router in your home from a
remote location WITHOUT your home PC being on? Surely the whole point is to
connect to and work on your home PC....

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: VPN from home router?

"Victek" <victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote
> location (e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC
> being ON? TIA

Yes there are. I have used Cyberguard (formerly Snapgear) routers
that have this ability, I'm sure there are others. I know that 3rd
party firmware is available for some Linksys routers that gives them
this ability.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

Gordon

Re: VPN from home router?

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" <Zaphod.Arisztid.Beeblebrox@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Victek" <victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote location
>> (e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC being ON? TIA

> Yes there are. I have used Cyberguard (formerly Snapgear) routers that
> have this ability, I'm sure there are others. I know that 3rd party
> firmware is available for some Linksys routers that gives them this
> ability.

But why would anyone want to just connect to the ROUTER?

Jack-MVP

Re: VPN from home router?
Hi
VPN connection is a secure connection between two point through the
Internet.
So you want to use your Laptop to connect over VPN to where/what?
In any case there are Routers that can process VPN in hardware. They usually
are called Routers with VPN End Point.
http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html
Example,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...inksys%20vp n
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Victek" <victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote location
> (e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC being ON? TIA

Victek

Re: VPN from home router?
> "Victek" <victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote location
>> (e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC being ON? TIA

> Now why would you want to connect just to the router in your home from a
> remote location WITHOUT your home PC being on? Surely the whole point is
> to connect to and work on your home PC....

..
I'm not needing to connect to my home PC. When I use my laptop to connect
to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be able to use a VPN.
If I can connect securely to my router/LAN then I would have access to the
NET via my home ISP. I guess the router would be acting as a server. Do
they make such a thing?

Gordon

Re: VPN from home router?
Victek wrote:

> .
> I'm not needing to connect to my home PC. When I use my laptop to
> connect to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be able to
> use a VPN. If I can connect securely to my router/LAN then I would have
> access to the NET via my home ISP. I guess the router would be acting
> as a server. Do they make such a thing?

Eh?
If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you then
want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet?
If it's because you can't send emails from outside your ISP just change
the smtp server settings....
Victek

Re: VPN from home router?
>> I'm not needing to connect to my home PC. When I use my laptop to
>> connect to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be able to
>> use a VPN. If I can connect securely to my router/LAN then I would have
>> access to the NET via my home ISP. I guess the router would be acting as
>> a server. Do they make such a thing?

> Eh?
> If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you then
> want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet?
> If it's because you can't send emails from outside your ISP just change
> the smtp server settings....

..
Because connecting via Open Wi-Fi is insecure. Using a VPN over the
wireless link to a wired network is safer. I currently use Hotspot Shield
which is a free VPN service. It does exactly the same thing, however they
put ads in the browser plus there is the matter of trusting them. I would
prefer to go through my home router and use my own ISP (since I'm already
trusting them). I believe I could do this by using my home PC as a gateway,
but I don't want to leave my home PC running all the time.

Gordon

Re: VPN from home router?
Victek wrote:
>>> I'm not needing to connect to my home PC. When I use my laptop to
>>> connect to the Internet at an Open Wi-Fi hotspot I'd like to be able
>>> to use a VPN. If I can connect securely to my router/LAN then I would
>>> have access to the NET via my home ISP. I guess the router would be
>>> acting as a server. Do they make such a thing?

>> Eh?
>> If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you
>> then want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet?
>> If it's because you can't send emails from outside your ISP just
>> change the smtp server settings....

> .
> Because connecting via Open Wi-Fi is insecure.

Insecure for what? If you have proper security on your laptop and don't
run as admin and have a good password and don't have any shared folders
I can't see a problem...
Victek

Re: VPN from home router?

>>> Eh?
>>> If you are ALREADY connected to the internet why on EARTH would you then
>>> want to VPN to your Router to err connect to the Internet?
>>> If it's because you can't send emails from outside your ISP just change
>>> the smtp server settings....

>> .
>> Because connecting via Open Wi-Fi is insecure.

> Insecure for what? If you have proper security on your laptop and don't
> run as admin and have a good password and don't have any shared folders I
> can't see a problem...

..
What do you mean by proper security on a laptop? I understand the value of
strong passwords and Limited User Accounts, but what does that have to do
with transmitting data over open Wi-Fi?