Read Win98se hard drives from Vista

TheAceMan

Read Win98se hard drives from Vista

Howdy All . . .

I'd need to access hard drives on an old Win98se machine thru my newly
aquired Vista machine. All I have at present are the two machines. I was
thinking of using two cards with a crossover cable but thought it better
to just ask.

What recommended additions would you suggest and is this possible at
all ... particularly without having to disable the vista firewall.

Any help fully appreciated!

--
TheAceMan
TheAceMan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/105615.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 03:54:17 +0530, TheAceMan
<TheAceMan.3tqsja@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Howdy All . . .
>
>I'd need to access hard drives on an old Win98se machine thru my newly
>aquired Vista machine. All I have at present are the two machines. I was
>thinking of using two cards with a crossover cable but thought it better
>to just ask.
>
>What recommended additions would you suggest and is this possible at
>all ... particularly without having to disable the vista firewall.
>
>Any help fully appreciated!

That should work fine, with no additions required, and no need to
disable Vista's firewall.

However, the opposite isn't possible. Win98se can't access Vista's
hard drives.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
TheAceMan

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista

Thanks Steve!

So thats 2 ethernet cards, a crossover cable and the wizard on each
machine should get me thru it ... Correct?

Is there a link you can provide for general setup? I have questions
like:
1) Do the machines have to belong to the same work group?
2) Do they have to have the same IP address?
3) How do I find the current IP address of each machine?
4) Which protocol should I use TCPIP, NETBEUI?

Your Thoughts? . . .

--
TheAceMan
TheAceMan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/105615.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1197238.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:07:25 +0530, TheAceMan
<TheAceMan.3ts0zb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Thanks Steve!

You're welcome!

>So thats 2 ethernet cards, a crossover cable and the wizard on each
>machine should get me thru it ... Correct?

That's all the hardware you need. There's no Network Setup Wizard in
Win98 or Vista.

>Is there a link you can provide for general setup?

In Windows 98:

1. Go to Control Panel > Network.
2. Enable File and Printer Sharing.
3. Right-click and share the desired disks/folders.

In Vista:

1. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
2. Enable "Network discovery".

>I have questions like:
>
>1) Do the machines have to belong to the same work group?

Use the same workgroup name on both computers. Although it isn't
strictly necessary, it makes networking a little easier.

>2) Do they have to have the same IP address?

The computers must have different IP addresses in the same subnet.
When you connect the computers using a crossover cable, each one will
automatically assign itself a unique IP Address in the 169.254.x.x
range. Ignore any message about "limited or no connectivity". That
just means that the connection doesn't have access to the Internet.

>3) How do I find the current IP address of each machine?

Win98: Start > Run > command > ipconfig /all
Vista: Start > Start Search > cmd > ipconfig /all

>4) Which protocol should I use TCPIP, NETBEUI?

Use TCP/IP. Despite what some networking web sites say, no version of
Windows has ever required NetBEUI. NetBEUI isn't available in Vista.

--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
TheAceMan

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista

Poetry in motion steve!

Is there anyway I can give you a star, check, or plus of some kind for
your help? ... This is my 1st thread in the forums ... and I don't know
how!

--
TheAceMan
TheAceMan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/105615.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1197238.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:13:03 +0530, TheAceMan
<TheAceMan.3tsvjc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Poetry in motion steve!
>
>Is there anyway I can give you a star, check, or plus of some kind for
>your help? ... This is my 1st thread in the forums ... and I don't know
>how!

I'm glad to help, TheAceMan!

I'm see your messages and post my replies in the Microsoft public news
group "microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing ".

The TechArena forums apparently read messages from that news group and
let you post to that news group through a web-based interface. I'm
not familiar with TechArena, and I don't know of a way to give
feedback there.

Instead, please E-mail my wife, and tell her that I actually do
something useful when I stay up late at night on the computer. :-)
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:13:03 +0530, TheAceMan
<TheAceMan.3tsvjc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Poetry in motion steve!
>
>Is there anyway I can give you a star, check, or plus of some kind for
>your help? ... This is my 1st thread in the forums ... and I don't know
>how!

You can send feedback to the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
program at mvpga@microsoft.com
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
TheAceMan

Re: Read Win98se hard drives from Vista

I thought I had this solved. Before going out to buy the additional
ethernet card I checked my new machine and found it has only one
ethernet connector built in (on the mother board) and there are no
available PCI slots.

What should I do to maintain access to the internet and my win98
drives?