New Share not reliable

DHK

New Share not reliable
My client is having difficulties sharing files between two computers. The
‘server’ PC is running Vista Ultimate SP1 and the ‘client’ is running Vista
Business SP1. Access to files in a subfolder under the built-in Users share
seem normal. However, when I setup a new folder directly off the C:\ drive
and shared it, files and folders are not reliably accessible from another PC.

Eventually, I want to restrict the new share to specific users, but
initially, I set it up where the Everyone group is a co-owner.

After the client computer starts up, it can access all files in the new
share normally. However, after about 30 minutes of use, file access slows
down. There is a delay of a few minutes sometimes before the close, delete or
modify task finishes. Sometimes, the client PC hangs indefinitely and must be
shut down.

I would appreciate suggestions to determine if this is a rights issue or a
networking issue and how I can find a solution.

--
DHK
nso5300

Re: New Share not reliable

try to turn off tcp auto tuning
'Disable TCP Auto-Tuning to Solve Slow Network (Vista) - Network
Administration & Consulting Services'
(http://thesystemadministrator.com/Th...twork_(Vista)/)

--
nso5300
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: New Share not reliable
Hi
You can check the Qos setting too,
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...rve-limit.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"DHK" <DHK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news57FECB2-BC4B-4B73-8399-CED40E23FC2F@microsoft.com...
> My client is having difficulties sharing files between two computers. The
> ‘server’ PC is running Vista Ultimate SP1 and the ‘client’ is running
> Vista
> Business SP1. Access to files in a subfolder under the built-in Users
> share
> seem normal. However, when I setup a new folder directly off the C:\ drive
> and shared it, files and folders are not reliably accessible from another
> PC.
>
> Eventually, I want to restrict the new share to specific users, but
> initially, I set it up where the Everyone group is a co-owner.
>
> After the client computer starts up, it can access all files in the new
> share normally. However, after about 30 minutes of use, file access slows
> down. There is a delay of a few minutes sometimes before the close, delete
> or
> modify task finishes. Sometimes, the client PC hangs indefinitely and must
> be
> shut down.
>
> I would appreciate suggestions to determine if this is a rights issue or a
> networking issue and how I can find a solution.
>
> --
> DHK

DHK

Re: New Share not reliable
Thanks for sharing. ICS is not turned on, nor is the computer multihomed. It
is just a simply configured network attached to a LAN. However, I will check
settings to verify the service is not turned to accident.
--
DHK

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are you using ICS or multihomed computer? This post may help.
> Vista lost connection in 30 minutes or 1 hour -
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/vie...0 4af13440420
>
> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "DHK" <DHK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news57FECB2-BC4B-4B73-8399-CED40E23FC2F@microsoft.com...
> > My client is having difficulties sharing files between two computers. The
> > ‘server’ PC is running Vista Ultimate SP1 and the ‘client’ is running
> > Vista
> > Business SP1. Access to files in a subfolder under the built-in Users
> > share
> > seem normal. However, when I setup a new folder directly off the C:\ drive
> > and shared it, files and folders are not reliably accessible from another
> > PC.
> >
> > Eventually, I want to restrict the new share to specific users, but
> > initially, I set it up where the Everyone group is a co-owner.
> >
> > After the client computer starts up, it can access all files in the new
> > share normally. However, after about 30 minutes of use, file access slows
> > down. There is a delay of a few minutes sometimes before the close, delete
> > or
> > modify task finishes. Sometimes, the client PC hangs indefinitely and must
> > be
> > shut down.
> >
> > I would appreciate suggestions to determine if this is a rights issue or a
> > networking issue and how I can find a solution.
> >
> > --
> > DHK

DHK

Re: New Share not reliable
Thanks for your thoughts, but the issue is not related to Internet or email
performance. That part of connectivity is fine on both the 'server' and the
'client'. It only relates to LAN activity. However, I will check to see if
the auto-tuning feature is enabled. If it is, I'll disable it.

Best regards,
--
DHK

"nso5300" wrote:

> try to turn off tcp auto tuning
> 'Disable TCP Auto-Tuning to Solve Slow Network (Vista) - Network
> Administration & Consulting Services'
> (http://thesystemadministrator.com/Th...twork_(Vista)/)
>

> --
> nso5300

DHK

Re: New Share not reliable
Hmmm. The user is not using VoIP, nor is he streaming video or radio. So
there would be no harm in trying.

I'll disable the setting and see if it makes a difference.

Best regards,
--
DHK