I don't get "Vista"

ng_reader

I don't get "Vista"
Alright, that's a little vague.

Two shared printers off 2 computers running XP. One notebook running Vista
that can print fine to one shared printer but not the other. The one it
*can* print to is hardwired to the network, the one in *cannot* isn't. But,
that's not the problem.

The notebook "sees" the printer share just fine. Just trying to connect or
run the setup wizard ultimately leads to an "access denied" error.

1) I tried googling the answer and it wasn't "add a local printer" (even
though it's not)
2) I tried installing the printer driver both before and after adding the
printer (didn't work)

I mean it's *right* there, the machine sees it. Why can't it connect to it?
Do I need to change something in the machine's permission settings? It's an
effing printer. Who cares if the whole world sees it.

Mr. Curious

Jack-MVP

Re: I don't get "Vista"
Hi
Would you please be more specific, are the two printers connected to
computers?
Hardwire to the Network means a Network printer and Not a printer Off a
computer.
make sure that any computer that suppose to be able to use the printer has
the drivers for this printer configured to work over the network.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alright, that's a little vague.
>
> Two shared printers off 2 computers running XP. One notebook running Vista
> that can print fine to one shared printer but not the other. The one it
> *can* print to is hardwired to the network, the one in *cannot* isn't.
> But, that's not the problem.
>
> The notebook "sees" the printer share just fine. Just trying to connect or
> run the setup wizard ultimately leads to an "access denied" error.
>
> 1) I tried googling the answer and it wasn't "add a local printer" (even
> though it's not)
> 2) I tried installing the printer driver both before and after adding the
> printer (didn't work)
>
> I mean it's *right* there, the machine sees it. Why can't it connect to
> it? Do I need to change something in the machine's permission settings?
> It's an effing printer. Who cares if the whole world sees it.
>
> Mr. Curious

ng_reader

Re: I don't get "Vista"

"Jack-MVP" <jack@discussgroups.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Would you please be more specific, are the two printers connected to
> computers?
> Hardwire to the Network means a Network printer and Not a printer Off a
> computer.

Errr. Both are connected via USB cable to desktop computer (where the
printer is setup as a share). Once computer uses a wireless card to connect
to the wireless router, the other comes in via switched patch cable to same
piece of hardware; a wireless router.

> make sure that any computer that suppose to be able to use the printer has
> the drivers for this printer configured to work over the network.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was under the assumption, perhaps now incorrectly, that there was no
difference between networked printer drivers and local printer drivers. In
any event, it's a Canon Pixma and I can't reccommend it highly enough for
general printing. The Ink carts (on ebay - work fine) are about a buck a
piece.

> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Alright, that's a little vague.
>>
>> Two shared printers off 2 computers running XP. One notebook running
>> Vista that can print fine to one shared printer but not the other. The
>> one it *can* print to is hardwired to the network, the one in *cannot*
>> isn't. But, that's not the problem.
>>
>> The notebook "sees" the printer share just fine. Just trying to connect
>> or run the setup wizard ultimately leads to an "access denied" error.
>>
>> 1) I tried googling the answer and it wasn't "add a local printer" (even
>> though it's not)
>> 2) I tried installing the printer driver both before and after adding the
>> printer (didn't work)
>>
>> I mean it's *right* there, the machine sees it. Why can't it connect to
>> it? Do I need to change something in the machine's permission settings?
>> It's an effing printer. Who cares if the whole world sees it.
>>
>> Mr. Curious

Jack-MVP

Re: I don't get "Vista"
Hi
The Drivers are the same Drivers (corresponding to the OS). They are
installed in the regular way on the computers that the Printers are
connected to.
However when the Drivers are installed on a computer that the Printer is No
connected to, they have to be installed as a Drivers for Networked computer.
Wire or wireless should Not make any difference.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Hi
> The Drivers are the same Drivers (corresponding to the OS). They are
> installed in the regular way on the computers that the Printers are
> connected to.
> However when the Drivers are installed on a computer that the Printer is
> No connected to, they have to be installed as a Drivers for Networked
> computer.
> Wire or wireless should Not make any difference.
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

I'll check the firewall settings. The notebook running Vista can print to
the one shared printer (the one that takes the expensive ink) but not the
other. And the other computers can print to any of the printers just fine.
It's just the Vista notebook having a problem with one XP machine. And not
the other.

> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jack-MVP" <jack@discussgroups.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>> Would you please be more specific, are the two printers connected to
>>> computers?
>>> Hardwire to the Network means a Network printer and Not a printer Off a
>>> computer.

>> Errr. Both are connected via USB cable to desktop computer (where the
>> printer is setup as a share). Once computer uses a wireless card to
>> connect to the wireless router, the other comes in via switched patch
>> cable to same piece of hardware; a wireless router.
>>
>>> make sure that any computer that suppose to be able to use the printer
>>> has the drivers for this printer configured to work over the network.
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> I was under the assumption, perhaps now incorrectly, that there was no
>> difference between networked printer drivers and local printer drivers.
>> In any event, it's a Canon Pixma and I can't reccommend it highly enough
>> for general printing. The Ink carts (on ebay - work fine) are about a
>> buck a piece.

Tom Ferguson

Re: I don't get "Vista"
What is the source of the printer driver you are trying to install? Is it an
XP or a Vista driver?

Tom Ferguson

"ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alright, that's a little vague.
>
> Two shared printers off 2 computers running XP. One notebook running Vista
> that can print fine to one shared printer but not the other. The one it
> *can* print to is hardwired to the network, the one in *cannot* isn't.
> But, that's not the problem.
>
> The notebook "sees" the printer share just fine. Just trying to connect or
> run the setup wizard ultimately leads to an "access denied" error.
>
> 1) I tried googling the answer and it wasn't "add a local printer" (even
> though it's not)
> 2) I tried installing the printer driver both before and after adding the
> printer (didn't work)
>
> I mean it's *right* there, the machine sees it. Why can't it connect to
> it? Do I need to change something in the machine's permission settings?
> It's an effing printer. Who cares if the whole world sees it.
>
> Mr. Curious

ng_reader

Re: I don't get "Vista"
Hi Tom,

I tried to match the driver to the OS. So, while it's been a few days, I'm
guessing that since it was a Vista OS, I downloaded the Vista driver.

Tks

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What is the source of the printer driver you are trying to install? Is it
> an XP or a Vista driver?
>
> Tom Ferguson
>
> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Alright, that's a little vague.
>>
>> Two shared printers off 2 computers running XP. One notebook running
>> Vista that can print fine to one shared printer but not the other. The
>> one it *can* print to is hardwired to the network, the one in *cannot*
>> isn't. But, that's not the problem.
>>
>> The notebook "sees" the printer share just fine. Just trying to connect
>> or run the setup wizard ultimately leads to an "access denied" error.
>>
>> 1) I tried googling the answer and it wasn't "add a local printer" (even
>> though it's not)
>> 2) I tried installing the printer driver both before and after adding the
>> printer (didn't work)
>>
>> I mean it's *right* there, the machine sees it. Why can't it connect to
>> it? Do I need to change something in the machine's permission settings?
>> It's an effing printer. Who cares if the whole world sees it.
>>
>> Mr. Curious

Tom Ferguson

Re: I don't get "Vista"
On the Vista PC go to Control Panel Printers Add printer.

Add a local printer (Yes. I know you want to add a network printer).

Click "Create a new port Local Port Next

In the next box , enter a port name:
\\PCname\Printername

PCname is the network name of the XP PC or Network Share where you have
the printer and Printername is the network name of that printer. Be
careful with this names. Check in your XP PC Control Panel Printers and
faxes your printer right click share share resources name

Choose the manufacturer and printer model of the printer you are adding.

Now the printer will be added and you can print a test page or print
something to test it.

Let us know.

Tom Ferguson