Vista shared file visibility from XP machine, the sequel

HustlingHare

Vista shared file visibility from XP machine, the sequel
I got a squirelly mangled window in trying to reply to the kind person who
answered my question. The answer didn't solve the problem so far as I
implemented it (I think I got it right).

I set up both machines with identical accounts, passwords, and types on both
machines rebooted a couple of times and still got the same error msg. The
folder is the C:\users\user_name folder for one of the users (I want to back
it up from the XP machine) where user_name is a non-administrator. When I
view the folder on the left side of explorer as administrator i see the
"shared" icon but not when logged in as user_name. Checking properties as
user_name in explorer the folder is shown as shared. Near as I can tell in
Vista, all admin accounts and the owner user account can access the folder
and all have all permissions.

What else have I missed? Here are the previous posts:

HustlingHare wrote:

> I've followed (I think) all the steps necessary to share a folder on my
> newly buile Vista x64 machine. Checked and double checked against help at
> MS
> help pages and web help pages and other posting answers. On my XP machine
> I can see the folder name in My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft
> Windows
> Network\se\my_computer_name\my_folder where se is the workgroup name I
> have
> chosen and it is the same in both computers. When I click on my_folder to
> see the files and folders withing I get: "my_folder is not accessible.
> You
> may not have permission to use this network resource...." What am I
> missing?

Did you remember to create identical user accounts/passwords on both
machines? If yes, then set permissions on the folder to Everyone. If no,
see details below.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

Malke
--
MS-MVP