Network Adapter Failure

Rebecca2442

Network Adapter Failure

So i got a brand new hard drive and hooked it up and put vista on it.
however its saying my only way to connect to the internet is dial up. i
have a broad band card and wireless wifi card but its saying i cant use
it to create an internet connection.

how can i fix this so i can use the internet????
possibly without having to replace any cards.

--
Rebecca2442
Jack-MVP

Re: Network Adapter Failure
Hi
Look at the OS' Device Manger and make sure that indeed there is a valid
entries for the Network cards.
On a laptop Wireless cards usually have a physical ON Off switch, and both
type of cars might be disable/enable in the computer's Boot BIOS.
I can not tell you any thing else since there is No info about the computer
and the specific type of hardware.
This was written for WinXP the location of the menus is different in Vista
but the core process applies to Vista too http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Rebecca2442" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So i got a brand new hard drive and hooked it up and put vista on it.
> however its saying my only way to connect to the internet is dial up. i
> have a broad band card and wireless wifi card but its saying i cant use
> it to create an internet connection.
>
> how can i fix this so i can use the internet????
> possibly without having to replace any cards.
>

> --
> Rebecca2442

LVTravel

Re: Network Adapter Failure

"Rebecca2442" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> So i got a brand new hard drive and hooked it up and put vista on it.
> however its saying my only way to connect to the internet is dial up. i
> have a broad band card and wireless wifi card but its saying i cant use
> it to create an internet connection.
>
> how can i fix this so i can use the internet????
> possibly without having to replace any cards.
>

> --
> Rebecca2442

When you put Vista on the new hard drive did you also install all the
drivers for your hardware, chipset (motherboard), audio, video adapter,
network card and wi-fi adapters? If not you need to find another computer
that can access the internet, go to the computer manufacturer's web site and
download all the latest drivers for all the hardware and burn to a CD or
copy to a USB drive, take them to the "new hard drive computer" and install
them starting with the motherboard chipset drivers.

To see what isn't properly installed you can right click on Computer (if it
shows on your desktop), click Manage and then Device Manager. Anything not
properly installed will show with a yellow mark. You can also get to Device
Manager through the Control Panel.

Hope this helps, let us know.