Using Printer shared by XP guest account

peter6c13

Using Printer shared by XP guest account
I have connected a HP color laser printer with Windows XP SP2
Guest account is enabled with password protected.
In windows vista Enterprise SP1 , I type \\<machine name>
and type userid and password as follows

User: Guest
Password: <prefeined password>
Save the user name and password in user's Vista machine.

I can find printers shared bby XP.
However, the XP machine would somehow change IP(DHCP).
After chaning IP, all shared printers in Vista failed to reconnect again.
But I can connect shared printer in client machine(XP platform).

My problem is:
My company would like to restrict some users on installing color printers at
their machines. Only authorized people are eligible to have color laser
prining.
To do so, I assign a computer(XP SP2) connecting the printer with
password-protected Guest account.

Does anyone can help? Many thx.....
nso5300

Re: Using Printer shared by XP guest account

So i dont know if your problem is fixed but i put a lot of thought in
what would be the best way to manage a printer in a work group
enviroment so here it goes

1) create a user for the printer in xp eg username: color_printer
2) On xp computer create users for all the people in your company eg
printer_bob
3)after the printer is shared in the xp computer in security tab you
can disable printing for all the users that shouldnt be able ot print in
color and enable it for all those who are allowed
4) The last step would be create users on each of the client PCs using
the same username that you created on the XP printer computer

The trick in this process is that even though you are not in a domian (
i hope not because i you were i just wasted a lot of time) you can still
use the security tabs for local accounts. It might seeem like a lot of
work but i think this is the only way in a workgroup enviroment.

If you have more than 10 users and have a lot of resources to manage (
printer, shared folders, email etc) maybe it would be a good investment
to get a print server, a small NAS system, and SBS 2003 or 2008. It
would make your job a lot easier

--
nso5300