accessing folder on server belonging to another domain

Charles MacLean

accessing folder on server belonging to another domain
I have a VISTA Ultimate machine that belongs to Domain X where I have my
account. I want to access (read/write) files on Domain Controller Y. Both
machines are on the same segment on our LAN. Both the DC X that I belong to
and DC Y are Server 2003 R2 machines. I seem to able to read and write files
after a fresh boot of my machine but then things seem to go sour after an
hour or so. My program can't write to DC Y. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bill Kearney

Re: accessing folder on server belonging to another domain

"Charles MacLean" <chasmx@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a VISTA Ultimate machine that belongs to Domain X where I have my
>account. I want to access (read/write) files on Domain Controller Y. Both
>machines are on the same segment on our LAN. Both the DC X that I belong
>to and DC Y are Server 2003 R2 machines. I seem to able to read and write
>files after a fresh boot of my machine but then things seem to go sour
>after an hour or so. My program can't write to DC Y. Any suggestions?

Check to make sure your machine isn't going to sleep. That would break the
connection. Also check in the properties for the network adapter.

Otherwise you just need to map the shares so they're persistent:

net use x: \\domain1server\sharename /user:domain1\domain1user
/persistent:yes
net use y: \\domain2server\sharename /user:domain2\domain2user
/persistent:yes

Obviously replacing the above 'domainXserver' with the appropriate
servernames, and domainX with the likewise correct domain names. And
whatever drive letters are suitable. The key being the use of the '/user:'
and '/persistent:' flags.

--Bill Kearney

Charles MacLean

Re: accessing folder on server belonging to another domain
I've already mapped the drive on the foreign domain's DC drive1 (Domain Y)
as persistant. I also have a drive mapped on my DC's drive1 (domain X) that
never refuses me access. After the drive on DC Y refuses me access within
the program I wrote I tryed to access it via the network folder. When I
click on the DC icon I'm prompted for user ID/password only to be denied
access even when I enter the administrator's user name and password. We also
have a XP Pro WS that is running the same program that accesses the server
DC Y that experiences the same problem but to a lesser extent. This is very
perplexing. Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Charles

news:x4udnbqZ0egN3bHXnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...