general question re resetting/renewing IP connection

Dave Horne

general question re resetting/renewing IP connection
First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it is
not, please advise.

I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium. On
occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate that
the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the cables, I
can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the computer looks
and finds a new address from my IP.

Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
timed out. [end quote]

My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from my
provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?

Thanks, Dave Horne

Sinner

Re: general question re resetting/renewing IP connection

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
> First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it
> is not, please advise.
>
> I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium.
> On occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate
> that the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the
> cable modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the
> cables, I can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the
> computer looks and finds a new address from my IP.
>
> Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
> received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
> Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
> timed out. [end quote]
>
> My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
> modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
> my provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?

Most cable ISPs don't change your IP address very frequently. You'd have to
be off-line for at least 2 days before they'd change it out. At least
that's the way Comcast works around here.

Dave Horne

"Sinner" <sinner@gateshell.org> wrote in message

> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>> First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it
>> is not, please advise.
>>
>> I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium.
>> On occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate
>> that the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the
>> cable modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the
>> cables, I can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the
>> computer looks and finds a new address from my IP.
>>
>> Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
>> received the following message - An error occured while renewing
>> interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
>> Request has timed out. [end quote]
>>
>> My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
>> modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
>> my provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?
>>

> Most cable ISPs don't change your IP address very frequently. You'd have
> to be off-line for at least 2 days before they'd change it out. At least
> that's the way Comcast works around here.

That may be, but I've found by manually unplugging the modem and router, and
reconnecting, I can more often than not get back online.

I was wondering if there is a software version (ipconfig \renew) of the
manual unplugging? Thanks, DH

Gordon

> "Sinner" <sinner@gateshell.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message
>>> First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if
>>> it is not, please advise.
>>>
>>> I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium.
>>> On occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate
>>> that the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to
>>> the cable modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect
>>> the cables, I can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume
>>> the computer looks and finds a new address from my IP.
>>>
>>> Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
>>> received the following message - An error occured while renewing
>>> interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
>>> Request has timed out. [end quote]
>>>
>>> My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
>>> modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
>>> my provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?
>>>

>> Most cable ISPs don't change your IP address very frequently. You'd have
>> to be off-line for at least 2 days before they'd change it out. At least
>> that's the way Comcast works around here.

> That may be, but I've found by manually unplugging the modem and router,
> and reconnecting, I can more often than not get back online.
>
> I was wondering if there is a software version (ipconfig \renew) of the
> manual unplugging? Thanks, DH

Try right-clicking on the network icon in the systray and choosing "diagnose
and repair"....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

daleeh

Re: general question re resetting/renewing IP connection
Dave,
The symptoms you describe would indicate a problem with the ISP
connection, not your computer. If the modem indicates lost connection
on the Internet side, then that is something you need to address to
you ISP. You mentioned a cable modem but not the ISP. I have Comcast
and the last time I experienced similar problems, they had to replace
the modem.

One way to ensure Vista is working properly with your router is to
make sure the router DHCP service is configured correctly. Then the
best way to reacquire an IP on your computer is first use the
IPCONFIG /release command to release the IP and then IPCONFIG /renew
to reacquire an IP. Also, I've heard that it helps in Vista to turn
off the IPv6 service unless your router specifically supports it.

When restarting your modem and router, it works best to shut down the
router, then the modem, disconnect the incoming cable to the modem,
wait about 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect the cable, power up the
modem and wait until its lights indicate a good connection on the WAN
or Internet side, then power up the router. Wait about 5 more minutes
to allow you computer to acquire an IP address from the router or run
the IPCONFIG commands in sequence.

Hope this helps,

Dale

On Jun 4, 3:03*pm, "Dave Horne" <daveho...@home.nl> wrote:
> First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if itis
> not, please advise.
>
> I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium. *On
> occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate that
> the connection is lost. *If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
> modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the cables, I
> can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. *I assume the computer looks
> and finds a new address from my IP.
>
> Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried * ipconfig /renew * but
> received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
> Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
> timed out. [end quote]
>
> My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
> modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from my
> provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

Sinner

Re: general question re resetting/renewing IP connection
He may not have a router. In which case, the modem is supplying the IP
address

"daleeh" <dale.e.harrington@gmail.com> wrote in message
Dave,
The symptoms you describe would indicate a problem with the ISP
connection, not your computer. If the modem indicates lost connection
on the Internet side, then that is something you need to address to
you ISP. You mentioned a cable modem but not the ISP. I have Comcast
and the last time I experienced similar problems, they had to replace
the modem.

One way to ensure Vista is working properly with your router is to
make sure the router DHCP service is configured correctly. Then the
best way to reacquire an IP on your computer is first use the
IPCONFIG /release command to release the IP and then IPCONFIG /renew
to reacquire an IP. Also, I've heard that it helps in Vista to turn
off the IPv6 service unless your router specifically supports it.

When restarting your modem and router, it works best to shut down the
router, then the modem, disconnect the incoming cable to the modem,
wait about 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect the cable, power up the
modem and wait until its lights indicate a good connection on the WAN
or Internet side, then power up the router. Wait about 5 more minutes
to allow you computer to acquire an IP address from the router or run
the IPCONFIG commands in sequence.

Hope this helps,

Dale

On Jun 4, 3:03 pm, "Dave Horne" <daveho...@home.nl> wrote:
> First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it
> is
> not, please advise.
>
> I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium. On
> occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate that
> the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
> modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the cables, I
> can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the computer looks
> and finds a new address from my IP.
>
> Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
> received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
> Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
> timed out. [end quote]
>
> My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
> modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
> my
> provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

daleeh

Re: general question re resetting/renewing IP connection
Since he stated "If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router..." I have to assume he has both.

Dave, please clarify and maybe give us the make and model of each
device.

Dale

On Jun 5, 3:07*pm, "Sinner" <sin...@gateshell.org> wrote:
> He may not have a router. *In which case, the modem is supplying the IP
> address
>
> "daleeh" <dale.e.harring...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Dave,
> The symptoms you describe would indicate a problem with the ISP
> connection, not your computer. *If the modem indicates lost connection
> on the Internet side, then that is something you need to address to
> you ISP. *You mentioned a cable modem but not the ISP. *I have Comcast
> and the last time I experienced similar problems, they had to replace
> the modem.
>
> One way to ensure Vista is working properly with your router is to
> make sure the router DHCP service is configured correctly. *Then the
> best way to reacquire an IP on your computer is first use the
> IPCONFIG /release command to release the IP and then IPCONFIG /renew
> to reacquire an IP. *Also, I've heard that it helps in Vista to turn
> off the IPv6 service unless your router specifically supports it.
>
> When restarting your modem and router, it works best to shut down the
> router, then the modem, disconnect the incoming cable to the modem,
> wait about 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect the cable, power up the
> modem and wait until its lights indicate a good connection on the WAN
> or Internet side, then power up the router. *Wait about 5 more minutes
> to allow you computer to acquire an IP address from the router or run
> the IPCONFIG commands in sequence.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Dale
>
> On Jun 4, 3:03 pm, "Dave Horne" <daveho...@home.nl> wrote:
>

> > First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it
> > is
> > not, please advise.

> > I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium.On
> > occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate that
> > the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
> > modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the cables, I
> > can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the computer looks
> > and finds a new address from my IP.

> > Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
> > received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
> > Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
> > timed out. [end quote]

> > My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
> > modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
> > my
> > provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?

> > Thanks, Dave Horne- Hide quoted text -

Dave Horne

Re: general question re resetting/renewing IP connection
My modem and router work just fine. There are times during the day (when
kids come home from school and parents come home from work) that I can not
_sometimes_ access the internet. This is just a question of too many folks
being online at the same time. If I manually unplug the router and modem,
more often than not I can suceed in getting back online. I'm only asking if
there's a way .... (ipconfig .... ?) to do the same but using software to
obtain a new address. That's all.

Around 12 noon, when the kids come home for lunch, I can expect not to be
able to always get online and early in the evening when all the Dads comes
home from work, I can expect to have the same problem. I have the modem
next to my monitor and I can see the number of LEDs on or off (Power,
Receive, Send, Online, PC Activity, Standby). When I can't get online,
instead of seeing five LEDs, I'll see one or two or three; I can see the
modem trying to get back online and it's usually the time when the kids come
home for lunch or the parents come home from work.

My modem and router are working just fine - I jusr want to know if using,
say, ipconfig at a cmd prompt and using the resetting switch is what I can
also do (instead of manually unplugging the electric cable from both the
modem and router. Is this more clear? Thanks!

Dave Horne

> My modem and router work just fine. There are times during the day (when
> kids come home from school and parents come home from work) that I can not
> _sometimes_ access the internet. This is just a question of too many
> folks being online at the same time. If I manually unplug the router and
> modem, more often than not I can suceed in getting back online. I'm only
> asking if there's a way .... (ipconfig .... ?) to do the same but using
> software to obtain a new address. That's all.
>
> Around 12 noon, when the kids come home for lunch, I can expect not to be
> able to always get online and early in the evening when all the Dads comes
> home from work, I can expect to have the same problem. I have the modem
> next to my monitor and I can see the number of LEDs on or off (Power,
> Receive, Send, Online, PC Activity, Standby). When I can't get online,
> instead of seeing five LEDs, I'll see one or two or three; I can see the
> modem trying to get back online and it's usually the time when the kids
> come home for lunch or the parents come home from work.
>
> My modem and router are working just fine - I jusr want to know if using,
> say, ipconfig at a cmd prompt and using the resetting switch is what I can
> also do (instead of manually unplugging the electric cable from both the
> modem and router. Is this more clear? Thanks!

Well, my Motorola Surfboard has a menu that will allow me to reboot it from
my computer. I just connect to 192.168.100.1, the IP address of the modem.

When it's operating normally, I connect through the router. When it's not
operating correctly, I have to plug the computer directly into the modem via
the Ethernet cable. Of course moving the Cat5 cable is no easier than
unplugging the modem's power cable.

There is no command that can be issued by Windows that will cause the modem,
or router, to reset.