Group Policy to Enable Remote Access to Admin Shares

Mark Olbert

Group Policy to Enable Remote Access to Admin Shares
Some time ago -- back when WinXP SP2 came out -- I had to reconfigure the machines on my LAN to allow for remote access to their
admin shares. By "remote" I mean "from a different computer in the same subnet", not from the wilds of the internet .

I did this by enabling or disabling something in group policy. But I've lost my notes, and I don't remember how to do it
anymore...which is a problem because I just added a new machine to the network.

Does anyone know what the policy tweak is to enable access to admin shares from another computer? BTW, these machines are all part
of a domain, in case that makes a difference on where I do the tweak.

- Mark
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: Group Policy to Enable Remote Access to Admin Shares

"Mark Olbert" <ChairmanMAO@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Some time ago -- back when WinXP SP2 came out -- I had to
> reconfigure the machines on my LAN to allow for remote access to
> their
> admin shares. By "remote" I mean "from a different computer in the
> same subnet", not from the wilds of the internet .
>
> I did this by enabling or disabling something in group policy. But
> I've lost my notes, and I don't remember how to do it
> anymore...which is a problem because I just added a new machine to
> the network.
>
> Does anyone know what the policy tweak is to enable access to admin
> shares from another computer? BTW, these machines are all part
> of a domain, in case that makes a difference on where I do the
> tweak.

I never did it through group policies, but the registry setting is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\
Add DWORD Value LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set to 1

Hope this helps.

--
Zaphod

Arthur Dent, speaking to Trillian about Zaphod:
"So, two heads is what does it for a girl?"
"...Anything else he's got two of?"

Mark Olbert

Re: Group Policy to Enable Remote Access to Admin Shares
Thanks for the tip.

What's weird is that I have four Vista systems that allow access without that particular tweak, and one that doesn't (because I just
built it).

- Mark