File Sharing. Access denied. help ....

Kirti

File Sharing. Access denied. help ....
Folks :
I have a File Sharing Problem.
Here is the situation.

Both Computers DELL and HP Desktops Running Vista Home Premium.
Connected to the Network. Wited Connected.
Details on both computers ...
Work Group = OFFICE
Network Discovery = ON
File Sharing = ON
Public Folder Sharing = ON
Password Protected Sharing = OFF
Media Sharing = ON

The HP Computer can see all Files and Folders on the DELL. Example
Documents, Pictures, Music etc. I can open all these folders, add, delete
etc. No Problems

On the DELL Computer ....
I can see the HP Computer. I can see Documents, Pictures, Music Folder.
But when I click any of them it says Access denied.
McAfee Firewall OFF.
I have done every thing possible as mentioned on this link.

Please help.
Thanks in Advance ! Regards !
Kirti
TheIntruder

Re: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....

Sounds like a permissions issue. Are you using the same user name on
each machine?

Most likely, the permissions on the shared folders on the Dell grant
"Everyone" full control, and the permissions on the shared folders on
the HP only grant full control to a specific user.

--
TheIntruder
Kirti

RE: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....
Hello Intruder :
The User Name and Pass words are different for both Computers as I use the
DELL and Wife Uses the HP.
So I have my own user name and password and she has her own user name and
pass word.

Regards !
Kirti
> Folks :
> I have a File Sharing Problem.
> Here is the situation.
>
> Both Computers DELL and HP Desktops Running Vista Home Premium.
> Connected to the Network. Wited Connected.
> Details on both computers ...
> Work Group = OFFICE
> Network Discovery = ON
> File Sharing = ON
> Public Folder Sharing = ON
> Password Protected Sharing = OFF
> Media Sharing = ON
>
> The HP Computer can see all Files and Folders on the DELL. Example
> Documents, Pictures, Music etc. I can open all these folders, add, delete
> etc. No Problems
>
> On the DELL Computer ....
> I can see the HP Computer. I can see Documents, Pictures, Music Folder.
> But when I click any of them it says Access denied.
> McAfee Firewall OFF.
> I have done every thing possible as mentioned on this link.
>
> Please help.
> Thanks in Advance ! Regards !
> Kirti

TheIntruder

Re: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....

Right, that's what I thought. It's definitely a permissions problem
then. Do you know how to view and modify permissions on a shared
folder? The permissions on the folders on the HP machine are too
restrictive.

--
TheIntruder
Kirti

Re: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....
TheIntruder : Yes that Fixed it. Thanks Thanks !!!
I Right Clicked the Folder and clicked Share.
Then in the Box typed " Everyone and then add.
That did it. Thanks for your help.

Now I have 1 more Problem. In the HP Computer it is set up with my Wife's
Name and a Password. So after I sign in, etc. I click on the C Drive and open
it.
There is a Folder called Users. In that Folder I see only my name. NOT hers.
At 1 time I had changed the User Account from my name to hers. Is there a way
to change the Folders name in the Users Folder ??
Thanks in advance ! Regards !
Kirti

"TheIntruder" wrote:

> Right, that's what I thought. It's definitely a permissions problem
> then. Do you know how to view and modify permissions on a shared
> folder? The permissions on the folders on the HP machine are too
> restrictive.
>

> --
> TheIntruder

Tom Allen

"Kirti" <Kirti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Now I have 1 more Problem. In the HP Computer it is set up with my
> Wife's
> Name and a Password. So after I sign in, etc. I click on the C Drive
> and open
> it.
> There is a Folder called Users. In that Folder I see only my name. NOT
> hers.
> At 1 time I had changed the User Account from my name to hers. Is
> there a way
> to change the Folders name in the Users Folder ??
> Thanks in advance ! Regards !
> Kirti

Yes, create another account in the name required.
All you have done is change a label on your own account, the underlying
data which constitutes your account is still there.

Tom

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....
Hi
Firewall Off does not mean that it is out of the system.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Folks :
> I have a File Sharing Problem.
> Here is the situation.
>
> Both Computers DELL and HP Desktops Running Vista Home Premium.
> Connected to the Network. Wited Connected.
> Details on both computers ...
> Work Group = OFFICE
> Network Discovery = ON
> File Sharing = ON
> Public Folder Sharing = ON
> Password Protected Sharing = OFF
> Media Sharing = ON
>
> The HP Computer can see all Files and Folders on the DELL. Example
> Documents, Pictures, Music etc. I can open all these folders, add, delete
> etc. No Problems
>
> On the DELL Computer ....
> I can see the HP Computer. I can see Documents, Pictures, Music Folder.
> But when I click any of them it says Access denied.
> McAfee Firewall OFF.
> I have done every thing possible as mentioned on this link.
>
> Please help.
> Thanks in Advance ! Regards !
> Kirti

TheIntruder

Re: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....

> Is there a way
> to change the Folders name in the Users Folder ??

yeah, i've had this problem as well. i don't know of a way to rename
the folders. tom's solution may be the way to go. i suspect you would
then need to transfer all the files in the older user's folders to the
new user's folders... and possibly change permissions? Not sure... I've
never tried it.

Let us know if it works.

--
TheIntruder
Kirti

Re: File Sharing. Access denied. help ....
TheIntruder, Tom, Sanju121 :
Thanks for all you help. I am up and running.
What I had to do was Right Click each Folder I wanted share. And then in the
window enter Everyone and click add.
Once both computers botted up again. ll was well.
I appreciate the Time all you folks took to address this.
Regards !
Kirti