Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

TheIntruder

Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

Could someone explain to me how to network two Vista machines using
their respective machine names? I'm only able to access shared folders
using IP addresses.

- The two machines are a laptop running Vista Business x64 and a
desktop running Vista Home Premium x64.
- Both machines have File Sharing, Network Discovery, and Password
Protected Sharing turned on.
- They are on the same workgroup (no domain).
- I am able to see the machines in Network Explorer, but if I
double-click on them, all I see is the printer (not the shared folders)
or I get an error message telling me the machine is inaccessible.
- Both machines have been assigned a static IP address by the router.

The two machines ping each other successfully and they are also able to
access one another using IP addresses... I would just like to understand
why I can't use the machine name.

I read something about enabling NetBIOS or modifying LMHOSTS or HOSTS,
but I wasn't sure if any of those suggestions was the appropriate
solution. I also heard doing some of these things might slow down other
programs... not sure to what extent that's true or not.

Here are the Properties under TCP/IPv4:
-Obtain an IP address automatically
-Obtain DNS server address automatically
Advanced...
-DHCP Enabled
-no Default Gateways are specified (should they be?)
-Automatic metric is checked
-no DNS server addresses are specified
-no WINS addresses are specified
-Enable LMHOSTS lookup is unchecked
-NetBIOS setting is set to Default

Not sure if this is relevant, but DNS relaying is turned on on my
D-Link DI-624 router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
TheIntruder
Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names
On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:49:48 -0500, TheIntruder
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Could someone explain to me how to network two Vista machines using
>their respective machine names? I'm only able to access shared folders
>using IP addresses.
>
>- The two machines are a laptop running Vista Business x64 and a
>desktop running Vista Home Premium x64.
>- Both machines have File Sharing, Network Discovery, and Password
>Protected Sharing turned on.
>- They are on the same workgroup (no domain).
>- I am able to see the machines in Network Explorer, but if I
>double-click on them, all I see is the printer (not the shared folders)
>or I get an error message telling me the machine is inaccessible.
>- Both machines have been assigned a static IP address by the router.
>
>The two machines ping each other successfully and they are also able to
>access one another using IP addresses... I would just like to understand
>why I can't use the machine name.
>
>I read something about enabling NetBIOS or modifying LMHOSTS or HOSTS,
>but I wasn't sure if any of those suggestions was the appropriate
>solution. I also heard doing some of these things might slow down other
>programs... not sure to what extent that's true or not.
>
>Here are the Properties under TCP/IPv4:
>-Obtain an IP address automatically
>-Obtain DNS server address automatically
>Advanced...
>-DHCP Enabled
>-no Default Gateways are specified (should they be?)
>-Automatic metric is checked
>-no DNS server addresses are specified
>-no WINS addresses are specified
>-Enable LMHOSTS lookup is unchecked
>-NetBIOS setting is set to Default
>
>Not sure if this is relevant, but DNS relaying is turned on on my
>D-Link DI-624 router.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using DNS servers provided by OpenDNS? When I tried it,
OpenDNS made file and printer sharing stop working.

Change the NetBIOS setting to "Enable". "Default" doesn't always work
right.

There should be no need for LMHOSTS or HOSTS.

NetBIOS, LMHOSTS, and HOSTS won't slow down other programs.

With DHCP enabled, you don't specify Default Gateways.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
TheIntruder

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

> Are you using DNS servers provided by OpenDNS? When I tried it,
> OpenDNS made file and printer sharing stop working.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this, but I actually don't
think I have specified a DNS server anywhere. In the TCP/IPv4
Properties I checked "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically". Perhaps
I need to specify an address in the router admin page? I just checked
and under the WAN tab Primary DNS Address and Secondary DNS Address are
both set to 0.0.0.0... Is this wrong?

--
TheIntruder
Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names
On Wed, 27 May 2009 20:16:17 -0500, TheIntruder
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>> Are you using DNS servers provided by OpenDNS? When I tried it,
>> OpenDNS made file and printer sharing stop working.

>Thank you for your reply.
>
>I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this, but I actually don't
>think I have specified a DNS server anywhere. In the TCP/IPv4
>Properties I checked "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically". Perhaps
>I need to specify an address in the router admin page? I just checked
>and under the WAN tab Primary DNS Address and Secondary DNS Address are
>both set to 0.0.0.0... Is this wrong?

You're welcome.

You'd know it if you were using OpenDNS -- it requires changing your
DNS server settings to point to the OpenDNS servers.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
TheIntruder

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

Do I need to specify a Primary and Secondary DNS Address in the router
settings? Or can I leave it at 0.0.0.0?

Thanks.

--
TheIntruder
Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names
On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:44:07 -0500, TheIntruder
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>>Do I need to specify a Primary and Secondary DNS Address in the router

>settings?

No.

> Or can I leave it at 0.0.0.0?

Yes.

--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
TheIntruder

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

Thanks again for your help.

Ok, so I enabled NetBIOS on both machines, but that alone didn't seem
to work. I was able to see the machines in Network Explorer, but when I
double-clicked on them I was only able to see the Printer. None of the
shared folders showed up.

I then disabled Password Protected Sharing to see if that would make a
difference, and sure enough the shared folders were now visible.

However, when I double-clicked on the shared folders, I was denied
access because of permissions. I would need to change the permissions
on those shared folders so that Everyone had Full Control.

This is something I'd like to avoid, if possible. In fact, I'd rather
leave Password Protected Sharing on as well.

Is there a way to make this all work the way it does with IP addresses?
When I access the machines using their IP address (with Password
Protected Sharing turned on), it prompts me to log in. Once I'm logged
in, I can see all the shared folders and access their contents without
any permissions related problems. I basically authenticate once, and
then I'm good.

If I had the opportunity to log in when I double-clicked on the machine
name in Network Explorer, I'm sure I'd see more than just the printer.
Is there a way that you know of to have it all work that way?

--
TheIntruder
TheIntruder

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

Sorry... did a little more testing... and I need to revise some of what
I wrote in my previous post.

> Ok, so I enabled NetBIOS on both machines, but that alone didn't seem to
> work. I was able to see the machines in Network Explorer, but when I
> double-clicked on them I was only able to see the Printer. None of the
> shared folders showed up.
>
> I then disabled Password Protected Sharing to see if that would make a
> difference, and sure enough the shared folders were now visible.
>
> However, when I double-clicked on the shared folders, I was denied
> access because of permissions. I would need to change the permissions on
> those shared folders so that Everyone had Full Control.

This is only true when I'm on the laptop (Business x64) trying to
access shared folders on the desktop (Home Premium x64) by
double-clicking on the desktop machine name in Network Explorer. When
I'm on the desktop trying to access shared folders on the laptop, I am
prompted to log in when I double-click on the laptop machine name. Once
I'm logged in, I see all of the shared folders on the laptop and I have
no permissions related issues. In other words, it works in exactly the
same fashion as it does when I use an IP address.

So the problem seems to be with the desktop (the Home Premium x64
machine). And yet the settings on the two machines are (as far as I can
tell) identical. Hmmm....

--
TheIntruder
Jack-MVP

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names
Hi
Hi
If both computers can access the Internet while connected to the same Router
leave alone DNS and other basic Network variables.
Concentrate on the sharing and permission configuration.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"TheIntruder" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Sorry... did a little more testing... and I need to revise some of what
> I wrote in my previous post.
>
>> Ok, so I enabled NetBIOS on both machines, but that alone didn't seem to
>> work. I was able to see the machines in Network Explorer, but when I
>> double-clicked on them I was only able to see the Printer. None of the
>> shared folders showed up.
>>
>> I then disabled Password Protected Sharing to see if that would make a
>> difference, and sure enough the shared folders were now visible.
>>
>> However, when I double-clicked on the shared folders, I was denied
>> access because of permissions. I would need to change the permissions on
>> those shared folders so that Everyone had Full Control.

> This is only true when I'm on the laptop (Business x64) trying to
> access shared folders on the desktop (Home Premium x64) by
> double-clicking on the desktop machine name in Network Explorer. When
> I'm on the desktop trying to access shared folders on the laptop, I am
> prompted to log in when I double-click on the laptop machine name. Once
> I'm logged in, I see all of the shared folders on the laptop and I have
> no permissions related issues. In other words, it works in exactly the
> same fashion as it does when I use an IP address.
>
> So the problem seems to be with the desktop (the Home Premium x64
> machine). And yet the settings on the two machines are (as far as I can
> tell) identical. Hmmm....
>

> --
> TheIntruder

TheIntruder

Re: Unable to network 2 Vista machines using machine names

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have read about how MacAffee and
Norton have software firewalls that can interfere with networking. I'm
running AVG Free and as far as I know it doesn't have a software
firewall. The windows firewall is on on both machines.

--
TheIntruder