The Windows Browser

Patrick Whittle

The Windows Browser
Do you know if Vista still has a 'browser' to see which computer on the
netwrok is the master? When I open the Network icon on the desktop, it
shows me there are three computers powered on, and it finds them thru my
ethernet LAN.

Daniel Jameson

Re: The Windows Browser
Patrick,

If you're asking this question, I will assume that you are on a "workgroup"
network as opposed to a "domain" network. In a workgroup network there is
no master computer; all computers are peers. You might have a file/printer
server that is more "shared" than other computers, but it has no more "rank"
than any other computer.

In a domain network there is a domain controller. If you are in charge of a
domain, and you don't know which computer is the domain controller, log in
to each computer and find out which one says it is "Windows Server" instead
of Vista or XP. None the less, in this case you should seek professional
help.

--
Daniel Jameson
·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·. ·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·.·

"Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you know if Vista still has a 'browser' to see which computer on the
> netwrok is the master? When I open the Network icon on the desktop, it
> shows me there are three computers powered on, and it finds them thru my
> ethernet LAN.

the wharf rat

Re: The Windows Browser
In article <61351217-45C5-431A-B5E0-D004A38470EA@microsoft.com>,
Daniel Jameson <danjam@jamnet.danjam.net> wrote:

>In a domain network there is a domain controller. If you are in charge of a
>domain, and you don't know which computer is the domain controller, log in
>to each computer and find out which one says it is "Windows Server" instead

Lol, what if there's more than one with Server installed?

Maybe...nslookup _LDAP._TCP.dc._msdcs.domainname ?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: The Windows Browser
Hi
If you are relating to a master Browser as it is in WinXP, it should not be
a problem with Vista, let the system handle it.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you know if Vista still has a 'browser' to see which computer on the
> netwrok is the master? When I open the Network icon on the desktop, it
> shows me there are three computers powered on, and it finds them thru my
> ethernet LAN.

Patrick Whittle

Re: The Windows Browser
My Vista computer will look after it I'm sure. There is also Active
Directory (Windows 2003 Server) on the network, so which computer will do
'browser' updates? I want to discern which computer, at any given point,
will update in this regard.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> If you are relating to a master Browser as it is in WinXP, it should not
> be a problem with Vista, let the system handle it.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Patrick Whittle" <patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you know if Vista still has a 'browser' to see which computer on the
>> netwrok is the master? When I open the Network icon on the desktop, it
>> shows me there are three computers powered on, and it finds them thru my
>> ethernet LAN.

Dave Warren

Re: The Windows Browser
In message <#rrTCFC3JHA.1424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> "Patrick Whittle"
<patrick_whittle@hotmail.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>My Vista computer will look after it I'm sure. There is also Active
>Directory (Windows 2003 Server) on the network, so which computer will do
>'browser' updates? I want to discern which computer, at any given point,
>will update in this regard.

The list of master browser candidates is long and complex, but the short
version is that in an Active Directory environment, this role will be
taken by the most recently released version of Windows acting in a AD
domain controller role.

If no domain controllers are online, other servers will take over,
followed by other clients, with the actual machine being picked randomly
within groups of equally qualified candidates.
Dominick

Re: The Windows Browser
Which I believe can also mean that if the DC is the master, and every PC
is running Computer Browser, if the DC is rebooted something else will
take it over.

You can manager the master by disabling the Computer Browser service,
and to see which computer is master this article might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305