Will not automatically connect to wireless network

tdp

Will not automatically connect to wireless network
I am running Vista x64 on a wireless network, WPA, TKIP. The network connects
and works fine when you connect manually, but even if you check the
"automatically connect" checkbox, after turning off the computer you have to
connect manually again and the checkbox is unchecked.

Had an XP machine with wireless before and this was never a problem. Have a
Vista x32 connected with Ethernet cable that has no problem getting on
network automatically either.

Router is WRT54GS (I know it's old), but my computer is not totally
incompatible if I get a good connection and good speed on the network. Seems
that I am not the only one having this problem on this forum, but the other
cases seemed somewhat different?

Thanks in advance for any help.

tdp
Jack-MVP

Re: Will not automatically connect to wireless network
Hi
If the computer has also Wire Network Card configure the Metrics to prefer
the Wireless.
This page was written for WinXP, the principle is the same for Vista the
menus to get there are different but easy to adjust to Vista.
http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"tdp" <tdp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Vista x64 on a wireless network, WPA, TKIP. The network
>connects
> and works fine when you connect manually, but even if you check the
> "automatically connect" checkbox, after turning off the computer you have
> connect manually again and the checkbox is unchecked.
>
> Had an XP machine with wireless before and this was never a problem. Have
> Vista x32 connected with Ethernet cable that has no problem getting on
> network automatically either.
>
> Router is WRT54GS (I know it's old), but my computer is not totally
> incompatible if I get a good connection and good speed on the network.
> Seems
> that I am not the only one having this problem on this forum, but the
> other
> cases seemed somewhat different?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> tdp

arimal

Re: Will not automatically connect to wireless network

Hi -- I have *exactly* the same problem - Vista Home Prem 32bit (Vista
SP2) / Lenovo Y430 (Intel SP WLAN NIC). The wireless connection
WPA/TKIP. The checkbox is set to reconnect automatically but afte
reboot, it doesn't reconnect automatically, the checkbox is unset again
(!), the setting is back to "Manually Connect" and I have to connect
manually.
I do not have the wired card connected at all, so the metrics solution
is not relevant. Any other suggestions?

--
arimal
tdp

Re: Will not automatically connect to wireless network
I found out that the problem is with Lenovo's own network software that comes
pre-installed on the computer (I don't remember what it's called because I
uninstalled it !! ) If you uninstall that proprietary software and
reconfigure your network through Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center,
the checkbox to automatically connect will stay checked and everything will
work fine; at least, that's what happened with me.

"arimal" wrote:

> Hi -- I have *exactly* the same problem - Vista Home Prem 32bit (Vista
> SP2) / Lenovo Y430 (Intel SP WLAN NIC). The wireless connection
> WPA/TKIP. The checkbox is set to reconnect automatically but afte
> reboot, it doesn't reconnect automatically, the checkbox is unset again
> (!), the setting is back to "Manually Connect" and I have to connect
> manually.
> I do not have the wired card connected at all, so the metrics solution
> is not relevant. Any other suggestions?
>

> --
> arimal

arimal

Re: Will not automatically connect to wireless network

Hey that's great! It's called ReadyComm. I just disabled it from the
Windows Startup Programs utility and it did the job! Quite the
unnecessary utility.

Hope others find this solution.
thx

--
arimal
adrienne09

Re: Will not automatically connect to wireless network
I had the EXACT same problem. It wasn't a big deal, just a hassle to have to
manually reconnect EVERY time I booted up my Lenovo Y550 or it came back from
sleeping or hibernating. I disabled ReadyComm and it works perfectly now! So
much for two hours on the phone with Lenovo tech support. Thank you so much

Automatically connect to wireless on boot-up Norm75 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 23 07-01-2009 16:35
laptop will not automatically connect to wireless internet tel262 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 05-10-2009 22:58
#2 Automatically connect to wireless on bootup Norm75 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 11-23-2007 12:00
Can┬┤t Vista connect to wireless ad-hoc automatically? danilodn microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 10-02-2007 23:52
Will not automatically connect to preferred Wireless LizBongo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 08-27-2007 15:08