Can't see Vista & XP PCs or printers on wireless network

dreemsnake

Can't see Vista & XP PCs or printers on wireless network

We have 2 XP computers and 2 Vista Home. Everything was fine with our
old Linksys router. I put in a new Linksys router (WRT160n) and now, the
Vista laptops can't see the others computers and can't ping them. They
can get to the Internet just fine. Linksys tech support will not help
because we can get to the internet through the router and they tell me
that is all they are responsible for.

This is what I have done (for setup and also troubleshooting):
1. I made sure all PCs are in the same workgroup, the network is
private on all, and I set up the same user names on each PC. (I did the
latter as a troubleshooting step - but I've never had to do this before,
and they used to see the others without it.)
2. Network Discovery, etc., all except password protected sharing is
On.
3. Made sure that the IP range was allowed on the firewall, and when
that didn't work, disabled the firewall. (McAfee, then Windows - tried
them both, one at a time, then none - i never had them both running at
the same time)
4. Made sure that all of the sharing was set up properly on the other
PCs and printers.
5. Changed the default WPA2 security on the Linksys router to WPA, then
to WEP, then to no security.
6. Reset router.
7. AP Isolation is not checked on the router, unchecked Filter
Anonymous Internet Requests and associated setting.
8. Switched to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

I know that I've probably forgotten something...it seems like I have
done more than this. I've been searching for solutions and I tried
everything I could find that I hadn't already done. This was so easy
before. Logic indicates that it has to be a setting on the new router,
but I don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance.

--
dreemsnake
dreemsnake's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/99958.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack-MVP

Re: Can't see Vista & XP PCs or printers on wireless network
Hi
If all computers can access the Internet then it is Not the Router.
Maybe this can Help.
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not needed for XP-SP3) -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"dreemsnake" <dreemsnake.3sifbd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> We have 2 XP computers and 2 Vista Home. Everything was fine with our
> old Linksys router. I put in a new Linksys router (WRT160n) and now, the
> Vista laptops can't see the others computers and can't ping them. They
> can get to the Internet just fine. Linksys tech support will not help
> because we can get to the internet through the router and they tell me
> that is all they are responsible for.
>
> This is what I have done (for setup and also troubleshooting):
> 1. I made sure all PCs are in the same workgroup, the network is
> private on all, and I set up the same user names on each PC. (I did the
> latter as a troubleshooting step - but I've never had to do this before,
> and they used to see the others without it.)
> 2. Network Discovery, etc., all except password protected sharing is
> On.
> 3. Made sure that the IP range was allowed on the firewall, and when
> that didn't work, disabled the firewall. (McAfee, then Windows - tried
> them both, one at a time, then none - i never had them both running at
> the same time)
> 4. Made sure that all of the sharing was set up properly on the other
> PCs and printers.
> 5. Changed the default WPA2 security on the Linksys router to WPA, then
> to WEP, then to no security.
> 6. Reset router.
> 7. AP Isolation is not checked on the router, unchecked Filter
> Anonymous Internet Requests and associated setting.
> 8. Switched to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
>
> I know that I've probably forgotten something...it seems like I have
> done more than this. I've been searching for solutions and I tried
> everything I could find that I hadn't already done. This was so easy
> before. Logic indicates that it has to be a setting on the new router,
> but I don't know what it is.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> dreemsnake
> dreemsnake's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/99958.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1183586.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

dreemsnake

Re: Can't see Vista & XP PCs or printers on wireless network

Thank you very much for the information. I think that #3 on my list
above is what you are talking about. Not only do I have the IP range
trusted, I opened the recommended ports for file sharing with Vista and
XP machines and set them to allow ping requests. Also mentioned in #3
is that I tried it without the firewall at all - no firewall. And I
tried it with just the Windows firewall (no 3rd party). I finally just
set it back to the McAfee firewall with all of the adjustments, since
this made no difference. But thank you for your suggestion.

I don't see a way to edit my original question, so I need to add this:
The XP machines have no trouble seeing the Vista machines and connecting
to their printers (printers connected to Vista PCs via USB cable). It's
just the Vista machines that can't see anything. And I guess it's just
a coincidence that this changed when i installed the new router.

--
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1183587.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack-MVP

Re: Can't see Vista & XP PCs or printers on wireless network
Hi
Check the IP scheme. When you put a new Router the IPs might change to the
default of the New Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).