Connecting to a domain

RR2

Connecting to a domain
I have Windows Vista Business edition on a new computer that I'm trying to
connect to an existing domain. It's giving me nothing but grief.

I've setup an account on the machine as a local administrator for the
machine. The username and password are the same as a username and password
on the domain.

when I enter the domain name, I get the Windows Security window asking my
username and password.
Entered.

It responds with "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password". I've
tried various combinations of "domainname\username", "domainname/username"
(mostly because I can never remember which way the slash goes),
"administrator" for username, and even created a new user on the domain with
admin rights. Nothing works.

The network (in the Vista machine) is setup for a private network, with
network discovery on, file sharing on, purlic folder sharing on and password
protected sharing off.

What am I doing wrong? I don't have much hair left, but I'm about to pull
that out too.

Several weeks ago, I sucessfully connected my laptop with Vista Ultimate
with no problem at all.

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: Connecting to a domain
Hi there. Can you go to Start > right-click Computer > Properties > Change
settings > Network ID > and then follow the prompts?

Thanks,
Gloria

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance

"RR2" <rr2@cableone.net> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Business edition on a new computer that I'm trying to
>connect to an existing domain. It's giving me nothing but grief.
>
> I've setup an account on the machine as a local administrator for the
> machine. The username and password are the same as a username and
> password on the domain.
>
> when I enter the domain name, I get the Windows Security window asking my
> username and password.
> Entered.
>
> It responds with "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password". I've
> tried various combinations of "domainname\username", "domainname/username"
> (mostly because I can never remember which way the slash goes),
> "administrator" for username, and even created a new user on the domain
> with admin rights. Nothing works.
>
> The network (in the Vista machine) is setup for a private network, with
> network discovery on, file sharing on, purlic folder sharing on and
> password protected sharing off.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I don't have much hair left, but I'm about to pull
> that out too.
>
> Several weeks ago, I sucessfully connected my laptop with Vista Ultimate
> with no problem at all.

RR2

Re: Connecting to a domain
Yes, that's the way I tried it, but it never liked the logins I was using.

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <gloriab@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there. Can you go to Start > right-click Computer > Properties > Change
> settings > Network ID > and then follow the prompts?
>
> Thanks,
> Gloria
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> "RR2" <rr2@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>I have Windows Vista Business edition on a new computer that I'm trying to
>>connect to an existing domain. It's giving me nothing but grief.
>>
>> I've setup an account on the machine as a local administrator for the
>> machine. The username and password are the same as a username and
>> password on the domain.
>>
>> when I enter the domain name, I get the Windows Security window asking my
>> username and password.
>> Entered.
>>
>> It responds with "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password". I've
>> tried various combinations of "domainname\username",
>> "domainname/username" (mostly because I can never remember which way the
>> slash goes), "administrator" for username, and even created a new user on
>> the domain with admin rights. Nothing works.
>>
>> The network (in the Vista machine) is setup for a private network, with
>> network discovery on, file sharing on, purlic folder sharing on and
>> password protected sharing off.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? I don't have much hair left, but I'm about to
>> pull that out too.
>>
>> Several weeks ago, I sucessfully connected my laptop with Vista Ultimate
>> with no problem at all.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Connecting to a domain
Check the Event Viewer in DC for any errors and post back with the Event ID and details.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"RR2" <rr2@cableone.net> wrote in message news:el$IRbIgHHA.4260@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Yes, that's the way I tried it, but it never liked the logins I was using.

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" <gloriab@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there. Can you go to Start > right-click Computer > Properties > Change
> settings > Network ID > and then follow the prompts?
>
> Thanks,
> Gloria
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>
> "RR2" <rr2@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>I have Windows Vista Business edition on a new computer that I'm trying to
>>connect to an existing domain. It's giving me nothing but grief.
>>
>> I've setup an account on the machine as a local administrator for the
>> machine. The username and password are the same as a username and
>> password on the domain.
>>
>> when I enter the domain name, I get the Windows Security window asking my
>> username and password.
>> Entered.
>>
>> It responds with "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password". I've
>> tried various combinations of "domainname\username",
>> "domainname/username" (mostly because I can never remember which way the
>> slash goes), "administrator" for username, and even created a new user on
>> the domain with admin rights. Nothing works.
>>
>> The network (in the Vista machine) is setup for a private network, with
>> network discovery on, file sharing on, purlic folder sharing on and
>> password protected sharing off.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? I don't have much hair left, but I'm about to
>> pull that out too.
>>
>> Several weeks ago, I sucessfully connected my laptop with Vista Ultimate
>> with no problem at all.

RR2

Re: Connecting to a domain
This morning, I managed to get it working right with no problem, but by
doing the same things I did yesterday.
1. created a new name for the computer.
2. added that computer to the domain via the server (NT-4)
3. told Vista to join the domain
4. BINGO, it worked, just like it was supposed to.

Yesterday, I did those same steps and it wouldn't work. Go figure.

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com