printer sharing in Vista

Chip Shapiro

printer sharing in Vista
I am going to be setting up a home network with two Vista computer. I know
that each machine should have the same user account to make this easier.

Question. Does the same user account have to be logged on to both machines,
or can the machine without the printer be logged on with another name as
long as the same user account exists on both machines?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

...Chip..

Malke

Re: printer sharing in Vista
Chip Shapiro wrote:

> I am going to be setting up a home network with two Vista computer. I
> know that each machine should have the same user account to make this
> easier.
>
> Question. Does the same user account have to be logged on to both
> machines, or can the machine without the printer be logged on with another
> name as long as the same user account exists on both machines?

No to the first part, yes to the second.

More detail:

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Chip Shapiro

Re: printer sharing in Vista
Thank You. This is exactly what I needed. I give 'er a try on Thursday
when I have the machine built and delivered.

...Chip..

> Chip Shapiro wrote:
>
>> I am going to be setting up a home network with two Vista computer. I
>> know that each machine should have the same user account to make this
>> easier.
>>
>> Question. Does the same user account have to be logged on to both
>> machines, or can the machine without the printer be logged on with
>> another
>> name as long as the same user account exists on both machines?

> No to the first part, yes to the second.
>
> More detail:
>
> Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
> need
> to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords
> just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot
> directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this:
>
> Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
> Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
> UAC
>
> Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on
> the
> desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct
> password
> for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
> there is no password (null).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Re: printer sharing in Vista
Chip Shapiro wrote:

> Thank You. This is exactly what I needed. I give 'er a try on Thursday
> when I have the machine built and delivered.

YW. I'm sure you'll do fine. If you need more help, you know where to find
us. ;-)

Malke