How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com

Cody

How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com
On the vista machine both computers can be access but when I try to access
them from my windows 98 computer it says not accessible or takes a long time
and stops responding
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com
You may want to create the same Vista username in Win98. Or this search
result may help.

Vista...is not accessibleVista...is not accessible. Can't access Vista C
drive · Solved: Can ping Vista but access · Is not accessible because of
Norton Internet Security ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanotaccessible.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Cody" <Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On the vista machine both computers can be access but when I try to access
> them from my windows 98 computer it says not accessible or takes a long
> time
> and stops responding

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com
On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:15:01 -0700, Cody
<Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>On the vista machine both computers can be access but when I try to access
>them from my windows 98 computer it says not accessible or takes a long time
>and stops responding

I've done a lot of testing and have asked people at Microsoft about
this. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible to access
Vista's shared files from Windows 98. That feature wasn't part of
Vista's design, implementation, or testing.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Bob

Re: How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com

Do you have the same WORKGROUP name for all machines?

> On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:15:01 -0700, Cody
> <Cody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>On the vista machine both computers can be access but when I try to access
>>them from my windows 98 computer it says not accessible or takes a long
>>time
>>and stops responding

Gordon

"Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I've done a lot of testing and have asked people at Microsoft about
> this. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible to access
> Vista's shared files from Windows 98. That feature wasn't part of
> Vista's design, implementation, or testing.

Err then how come I can access Vista shared files with LINUX?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Malke

Gordon wrote:

> "Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I've done a lot of testing and have asked people at Microsoft about
>> this. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible to access
>> Vista's shared files from Windows 98. That feature wasn't part of
>> Vista's design, implementation, or testing.

> Err then how come I can access Vista shared files with LINUX?

Because Linux is a different operating system from Windows 98. Linux, unless
you are using an ancient distro, is a modern operating system. Win98 isn't.
Microsoft made a decision not to test/support networking between Win98 and
Vista because of Win98's age and "construction".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tae Song

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]" <bc070521m@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I've done a lot of testing and have asked people at Microsoft about
>> this. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible to access
>> Vista's shared files from Windows 98. That feature wasn't part of
>> Vista's design, implementation, or testing.

> Err then how come I can access Vista shared files with LINUX?
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

All thhree Windows OS support Windows networking, which is simply NetBIOS
over TCP/IP.

I have a Windows 98 machine up and running on a network of Windows XP and
Vista.

I can see and access Windows 98 shares from Windows XP

I can see and access Windows 98 shares from Windows Vista.

I can see and connect to Windows XP (Home or Pro) machines and access shares
from Windows 98.

I can see, but NOT connect to Windows Vista from Windows 98.

I can only conclude that Microsoft simply put in code specifically to reject
connections from Windows 98 to Vista.

Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: How can I access files from my Vista computer on my windows 98 com
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:07:54 -0400, "Tae Song" <tae_song@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>All thhree Windows OS support Windows networking, which is simply NetBIOS
>over TCP/IP.
>
>I have a Windows 98 machine up and running on a network of Windows XP and
>Vista.
>
>I can see and access Windows 98 shares from Windows XP
>
>I can see and access Windows 98 shares from Windows Vista.
>
>I can see and connect to Windows XP (Home or Pro) machines and access shares
>from Windows 98.
>
>I can see, but NOT connect to Windows Vista from Windows 98.
>
>I can only conclude that Microsoft simply put in code specifically to reject
>connections from Windows 98 to Vista.

I agree that it looks that way. But I don't think that Vista looks at
connection requests, checks for Windows 98, and intentionally rejects
them.

Rightly or wrongly, Microsoft decided that networking compatibility
with Windows 95/98/Me wasn't required in Vista.

Those Windows versions don't have the necessary code to interface with
Vista's networking and security models. That code is in the versions
derived from Windows NT: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7.