Access to account files

Klassickoi

Access to account files
Hi, I cannot access my user account files on my laptop via my PC, I can
access the public folder, and other folders on the laptop but not User
account, It is not password protected. It is probably something quite simple,

any help appreciated.

O/S Vista Home Premium on PC and Vista Business on Laptop.
Malke

Re: Access to account files
Klassickoi wrote:

> Hi, I cannot access my user account files on my laptop via my PC, I can
> access the public folder, and other folders on the laptop but not User
> account, It is not password protected. It is probably something quite
> simple,
>
> any help appreciated.
>
> O/S Vista Home Premium on PC and Vista Business on Laptop.

In particular, see Section C. below.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Michael Walraven

Re: Access to account files
The 'You' has to be the same of both machines. That is you must logon with
the same user/password on the PC as the owner of the files on on the laptop
that you want to see.
Michael

"Klassickoi" <Klassickoi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news88D0275-8CC3-4334-89C3-6BC045DBF463@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I cannot access my user account files on my laptop via my PC, I can
> access the public folder, and other folders on the laptop but not User
> account, It is not password protected. It is probably something quite
> simple,
>
> any help appreciated.
>
> O/S Vista Home Premium on PC and Vista Business on Laptop.

Klassickoi

Re: Access to account files
Hi, Have already done that, still unable to open some files. either way--
PC-Laptop or Laptop - PC, Still think its something stupid!!!

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> The 'You' has to be the same of both machines. That is you must logon with
> the same user/password on the PC as the owner of the files on on the laptop
> that you want to see.
> Michael
>

> "Klassickoi" <Klassickoi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news88D0275-8CC3-4334-89C3-6BC045DBF463@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I cannot access my user account files on my laptop via my PC, I can
> > access the public folder, and other folders on the laptop but not User
> > account, It is not password protected. It is probably something quite
> > simple,
> >
> > any help appreciated.
> >
> > O/S Vista Home Premium on PC and Vista Business on Laptop.

Bill Kearney

Re: Access to account files
"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> The 'You' has to be the same of both machines. That is you must logon with
> the same user/password on the PC as the owner of the files on on the
> laptop that you want to see.

No, that's incorrect and probably a bad idea from a security standpoint.
You *can* connect as the same username/password but it's not required, not
at all.

One way to make the connection is to use the CMD line and the command:

net use X: \\othermachine\sharename /user:USERNAME

Change X: to a drive letter of your chosing, likewise change USERNAME to one
that exists on the other box. \\othermachine would need to be the name of
the other computer, and \sharename whatever name is used for the sharing
folder.

It should prompt you for a password. If you left off the /user: it would
try to connect using your current username. But it would prompt for a
password upon noticing your local password and the other don't match. You
could add a /persist:yes to the share to have it remember the connection.

You can also use the command "net use" by itself to see what the machine
thinks is already connected. Then you can use the "net use \\server\share
/delete" option.

-Bill Kearney

Bill Kearney

Re: Access to account files
> Hi, Have already done that, still unable to open some files. either way--
> PC-Laptop or Laptop - PC, Still think its something stupid!!!

From the PC try this in the CMD prompt window:

net use x: \\laptopname\c$ /user:laptopusername

Report back what error text, if any, is shown.