Vista file sharing

topcat

Vista file sharing
I am able to share printers between my main PC that is directly connected to
a Linksys N series router and a laptop theat is wirelessly connected. File
sharing I cannot figure out. I found a thread that explained sharing between
users but this is not what I want to do. My main PC has a directory D:\Data
that I want to access from my laptop. Does anyone have the details on how to
accomplish this? Thank you.
Malke

Re: Vista file sharing
topcat wrote:

> I am able to share printers between my main PC that is directly connected
> a Linksys N series router and a laptop theat is wirelessly connected.
> File
> sharing I cannot figure out. I found a thread that explained sharing
> between
> users but this is not what I want to do. My main PC has a directory
> D:\Data
> that I want to access from my laptop. Does anyone have the details on how
> accomplish this? Thank you.

But you *are* sharing files between users - between users on different
computers. So set up file sharing and then share out the Data file.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

topcat

Re: Vista file sharing
OK. I am slightly confused. Where it shows file sharing there are Bob *
Sally. How do I share between machines instead of people?

"Malke" wrote:

> topcat wrote:
>
> > I am able to share printers between my main PC that is directly connected
> > a Linksys N series router and a laptop theat is wirelessly connected.
> > File
> > sharing I cannot figure out. I found a thread that explained sharing
> > between
> > users but this is not what I want to do. My main PC has a directory
> > D:\Data
> > that I want to access from my laptop. Does anyone have the details on how
> > accomplish this? Thank you.

> But you *are* sharing files between users - between users on different
> computers. So set up file sharing and then share out the Data file.
>
> Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
> Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
> and folders:

> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Re: Vista file sharing
topcat wrote:

> OK. I am slightly confused. Where it shows file sharing there are Bob *
> Sally. How do I share between machines instead of people?

You don't. Authentication for shared resources is done by user, not
computer. Create user accounts for Bob and Sally on both machines (making
sure the password for Bob matches on both machines and the password for
Sally matches on both machines). See Section C. below, although I include
the entire networking troubleshooter to be thorough.

Here are general networking steps. Not everything may be applicable to your
situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look daunting, but if you
follow the steps at the links and suggestions below systematically and
calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke